The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St. Andrews History Applicants - 2011 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Delaney
Dreading this decision :-(

Same, will be very upset if I do not get in, i loved st andrews the whole feel was just fantastic. Good Luck!!!!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 61
Original post by KThackery
Yup, we can help each other compare :smile:

Hey cool, that's a crazy good deal!! I've booked train tickets too but not quite as good a price as you managed to secure, maybe coming from London is more expensive. We (my mum and I) are getting in to St Andrew's fairly late on the Tuesday evening, we'll be staying the night at a hostle called St Andrew's Tourist Hostel (Inchape House, St Mary's Place) so that we can get to the open day early, then leaving at around 5pm for the long journey home. Doesn't give me much free time to look around unfortunately but hopefully it'll be enough to get a feel for the place.

Kate Thackery

I am also staying there! But i'm getting there at about dinner time (setting off at 6). :smile:
Hey is anyone else doing Medieval history (V130)? Just got an offer :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by sarahmaloney
Just got a rejection too, they said my personal statement was not strong enough.

Did you get in touch with them to find out why they rejected you? How did you find out it was your PS?

Sorry about your rejection. Best of luck with your others.
Reply 64
Original post by sarahmaloney
Just got a rejection too, they said my personal statement was not strong enough. This i am highly miffed about as when my school contacted oxford to ask why i got rejected from there they said it was merely because of the sheer numbers of people applying and that my personal statement was a particularly strong one. So clearly St Andrews are looking for something Oxford are not, but life goes on. Really wanted to go to st andrews but clearly not meant to be i am sure i will have an amazing time at York. Well Done to all those who have got offer BTW :-)

They seem to just be using that as a general excuse. I might email them and ask them specifically what was wrong with my personal statement.
Reply 65
Original post by faenixamo
I am also staying there! But i'm getting there at about dinner time (setting off at 6). :smile:

Oh cool, we will probably bump in to each other then :smile: I'm arriving at about 9.30 cause its a six hour journey and i cant set off any earlier
Reply 66
Just got rejected. "Personal statement" apparently. This sounds really pathetic but I can't stop crying. St Andrews was the only place I wanted to be.
QUOTE; Beetlebum421
Re: St. Andrews History Applicants - 2011 Entry
Hey is anyone else doing Medieval history (V130)? Just got an offer

Hi,
Well done on the offer :smile: I just got an offer aswell for Medieval History and International Relations, LV21, so happy!
Are you going on any of the open days?
Original post by measom13604

Original post by measom13604
QUOTE; Beetlebum421
Re: St. Andrews History Applicants - 2011 Entry
Hey is anyone else doing Medieval history (V130)? Just got an offer

Hi,
Well done on the offer :smile: I just got an offer aswell for Medieval History and International Relations, LV21, so happy!
Are you going on any of the open days?

Oo well done! Can't wait :smile:
Ye I'll hopefully be going on one of the days in April. How about you?
Reply 69
Ok, i know that you are all going to hate me for asking this but here it goes... I have been having some trouble getting my head around the modular system and i cant work out wether Medieval History and Modern history count as two separate subjects which i can take modules of in my first year much like an English student might take IR as another subject. In other words can i spend my first year taking only history modules if i take them from Modern, Medieval and Ancient history as separate subjects?

Thanks and i'm sorry if its a stupid question :smile:
Reply 70
Ok, i know that you are all going to hate me for asking this but here it goes... I have been having some trouble getting my head around the modular system and i cant work out wether Medieval History and Modern history count as two separate subjects which i can take modules of in my first year much like an English student might take IR as another subject. In other words can i spend my first year taking only history modules if i take them from Modern, Medieval and Ancient history as separate subjects?

Thanks and i'm sorry if its a stupid question :smile:

Yep. this is exactly what I am doing right now (and really enjoying it btw). Medieval and Modern are seperate modules and ancient is a seperate module, in a seperate school. different modules do not have to mean different subjects. I have friends who do two maths modules.
However, you are required to take 40 non history credits at subhonours so you would have to change at least one of the history modules each semester in second year. and your adviser might moan abit about it but if you just say theres nothing else you want to do then they'll let you.
Reply 71
Original post by Oh-WOW
Yep. this is exactly what I am doing right now (and really enjoying it btw). Medieval and Modern are seperate modules and ancient is a seperate module, in a seperate school. different modules do not have to mean different subjects. I have friends who do two maths modules.
However, you are required to take 40 non history credits at subhonours so you would have to change at least one of the history modules each semester in second year. and your adviser might moan abit about it but if you just say theres nothing else you want to do then they'll let you.

Thats great information, thank you! It's put my mind at ease since I was struggling to find another few subjects I would really want to study for another year. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it, SAs looks like a lovely place to be. Do you mind me asking whether the small size of the town and univeristy impact much on the university experience (for good or bad)?

Thank so much for your help
Reply 72
Thats great information, thank you! It's put my mind at ease since I was struggling to find another few subjects I would really want to study for another year. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it, SAs looks like a lovely place to be. Do you mind me asking whether the small size of the town and univeristy impact much on the university experience (for good or bad)?

Thank so much for your help

I'm going to be honest and say the uni experience is different. St Andrews wasn't my first choice. It was, in fact, my third choice. I was always very into music and imagined going to gigs and stuff at uni and that hasn't really happened. but that is perhaps one of the only things I feel that I've really missed out on But I defiently feel it has worked out for the best.
I never wanted to go to a massive city. I wanted to go to Oxford and Durham. so not massive places. but still a bit bigger than here.
I like that the town is small and that I literally meet so many people whereever I go. The uni experience is good. I still go out a lot and theres still lots of drunkeness and parties. and if you do feel it is too small, it's so easy going to Dundee. I like the laidback atmosphere of St Andrews. For example, I feel comfortable going out in flats, a skirt and a casual top here but I'd feel so underdressed at home and it really has become annoying to dress up all the time at home.
I guess what I'm trying to say is it depends who you are and what you like. There are negatives to a small town but there are so many positives and it really suits me. I went to visit my friend at a big city uni recently and I realised that just wouldn't have been me. most people I know here love it. there are some who don't. but there are people at every uni who don't.
Reply 73
Original post by Oh-WOW
I'm going to be honest and say the uni experience is different. St Andrews wasn't my first choice. It was, in fact, my third choice. I was always very into music and imagined going to gigs and stuff at uni and that hasn't really happened. but that is perhaps one of the only things I feel that I've really missed out on But I defiently feel it has worked out for the best.
I never wanted to go to a massive city. I wanted to go to Oxford and Durham. so not massive places. but still a bit bigger than here.
I like that the town is small and that I literally meet so many people whereever I go. The uni experience is good. I still go out a lot and theres still lots of drunkeness and parties. and if you do feel it is too small, it's so easy going to Dundee. I like the laidback atmosphere of St Andrews. For example, I feel comfortable going out in flats, a skirt and a casual top here but I'd feel so underdressed at home and it really has become annoying to dress up all the time at home.
I guess what I'm trying to say is it depends who you are and what you like. There are negatives to a small town but there are so many positives and it really suits me. I went to visit my friend at a big city uni recently and I realised that just wouldn't have been me. most people I know here love it. there are some who don't. but there are people at every uni who don't.

Ok cool, thanks for the honesty. Yeah i see what you mean about the gig thing but then i felt that even at Durham (one of my choices which i got rejected from) there wasnt that much by way of music culture? As you say, the small university atmosphere suits some people and repells others, i guess my concern is that i dont know which of those i am :frown: I have grown up in London but then i never did like the raving, out-on-the-town type parties so maybe the smaller pub feel would be fine. I guess i will see whether it is just too small when i visit myself next month.

Thanks again for all your help
Reply 74
Ok cool, thanks for the honesty. Yeah i see what you mean about the gig thing but then i felt that even at Durham (one of my choices which i got rejected from) there wasnt that much by way of music culture? As you say, the small university atmosphere suits some people and repells others, i guess my concern is that i dont know which of those i am :frown: I have grown up in London but then i never did like the raving, out-on-the-town type parties so maybe the smaller pub feel would be fine. I guess i will see whether it is just too small when i visit myself next month.

Thanks again for all your help

I felt that about Durham too but thought that because Newcastle is so close it would be fine.
I grew up on a farm in the countryside so I guess St Andrews suits me because it's really alot bigger than the small village in Ireland were I spent most of my days. but I have to admit I was worried about it before I came. but it has worked out well.
Are you coming for a visiting day? If you need someone to show you around or anything I don't mind if I don't have too much on. :smile:
I am applying for history on my gap year in October, 2011. I was seriously contemplating St. Andrews but I could not tolerate being so far away from London for so long :frown:

Instead, I am applying to:

Durham
UCL
King's College, London
Warwick
Cambridge

Oh, St. Andrews also has poor international rankings.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Alex-jc123
I am applying for history on my gap year in October, 2011. I was seriously contemplating St. Andrews but I could not tolerate being so far away from London for so long :frown:

Instead, I am applying to:

Durham
UCL
King's College, London
Warwick
Cambridge

Oh, St. Andrews also has poor international rankings.

Yeah, I know what you mean about being very far away, its seems fairly isolated. I also applied to Durham and Cambridge, both are excellent universities. As for Kings and UCL, they are both great but St Andrews is of a similar level, though being in London those two are almost definitely closer to London than SAs :wink:

Just to say, one reason SAs ranks slightly lower on the international tables is because of the scoring criteria. Often internationally they measure the research on the quantity produced and for economic value rather than on quality, as a comparatively small university SAs will inevitably achieve lower markings in this respect while universities which are widely considered to be of a lower standard like Leeds score higher. Despite this it ranks within the top hundred in most world league tables and considerably higher in the arts and humanities tables; something which is commendable considering its small size.

It is an amazing university with a good international reputation and prestige, I doubt that I have convinced you to reconsider but that’s just my justification for having applied there
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah, I know what you mean about being very far away, its seems fairly isolated. I also applied to Durham and Cambridge, both are excellent universities. As for Kings and UCL, they are both great but St Andrews is of a similar level, though being in London those two are almost definitely closer to London than SAs :wink:

Just to say, one reason SAs ranks slightly lower on the international tables is because of the scoring criteria. Often internationally they measure the research on the quantity produced and for economic value rather than on quality, as a comparatively small university SAs will inevitably achieve lower markings in this respect while universities which are widely considered to be of a lower standard like Leeds score higher. Despite this it ranks within the top hundred in most world league tables and considerably higher in the arts and humanities tables; something which is commendable considering its small size.

It is an amazing university with a good international reputation and prestige, I doubt that I have convinced you to reconsider but that’s just my justification for having applied there

Well, I suppose the fact that Prince William and Kate Middleton went there has significantly enhanced its prestige. Also, it is almost as old as Cambridge.

I hear it is extremely hard to get into though!
Reply 78
Original post by Alex-jc123
Well, I suppose the fact that Prince William and Kate Middleton went there has significantly enhanced its prestige. Also, it is almost as old as Cambridge.

I hear it is extremely hard to get into though!

Lol, yes I’m sure it has but in my defence I was early entry and they hadn't announced their engagement when I applied, I didn’t even know that they had studied there until last month! It had prestige before that too, as you say its long history is partly responsible as well as its academic performance.

Oh yeah, I’ve heard that it’s about ten applicants for every place while most universities only get about four or five. This might be because people see that students receive AAB offers and think that the entry standard are lower than the other universities of the same level which is actually not the case. This means that they get Oxbridge applicants applying for an excellent and safe insurance, strong students hoping to firm it and slightly less qualified students applying for a long shot
Reply 79
Original post by Oh-WOW
I felt that about Durham too but thought that because Newcastle is so close it would be fine.
I grew up on a farm in the countryside so I guess St Andrews suits me because it's really alot bigger than the small village in Ireland were I spent most of my days. but I have to admit I was worried about it before I came. but it has worked out well.
Are you coming for a visiting day? If you need someone to show you around or anything I don't mind if I don't have too much on. :smile:

Wow Ireland? That’s a plane journey every time you want to visit home! Sorry I don’t know why I said that considering that you already know how you get home… but yeah, I imagine that having grown up in a village climate one might want university to offer a stark contrast with new experiences, but then as you say large unis can be impersonal, particularly for some one from a close nit community.

Yeah, I have booked for the 13th of April which is a university open day. Wow, that’s a really nice offer! At the moment I am working out a sort of day schedule which will give me time go to the talks, to look around the city, visit the library and an accommodation hall etc. But would I be ok to get back to you on that once I have worked out how long that will all take?I’m not sure whether that date is in your term time or whether you might be back home or else have work/ something better to do. It would be great to get your take on things, particularly as the balance of subjects which you are studying is so close to what I’d like to take.

There is also another member on this thread who is going to that same open day, faenixamo, who might be interested in hearing your take on SAs life.

Thanks for all your help, rep points will be flying your way :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending