Turn on thread page Beta

Why do I behave so awkwardly in social situations? Was this awkward? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Because YOU THINK ACTING LIKE A ******** IS COOL!

Grow the **** up!

I have to rugby tackle arses like you when I shop in my local Tesco Express. They all mooch around the vedgie section since that's all they eat because they are so worried about eating meat incase it somehow effects someone in Africa!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

ReputationRep:
    :hmmm: the girl seems a bit weird / a bit too forward

ReputationRep:
    Because you're socially awkward?!?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i can imagine this being a bit awkward, but in reality i don't think so much. Your probably overthinking the situation.
    I'd have been more confident that i really didn't want any more food, but it doesn't help that your mate calling you shy an to have something lol.
    I'm sure your the only one thinking about it, so best not to worry

ReputationRep:
    you shouldnt have to feel like you have to be constantly outgoing/thelifeandsouloftheparty. just be yourself and don't get so wound up about it... i'd rather have a friend who was themself rather than try and be "it"

ReputationRep:
    you should have stuck to your guns and not caved in to peer pressure.

it doesnt seem awkward, i think the girl was just trying to be friendly and start some conversation with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    Just be yourself dude , if everyone is eating and you dont want to eat ,then dont eat ..If someone asks you why youre not eating , tell them its none of their bussiness..

One thing thats worked for me , is never to think what youre going to say , just be instinctive .

Yeah, great advice. Definitely the best way to make friends is to answer "its none of your (****ing) business (you disgusting whore)" when they try to be friendly. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I do that sort of thing all the time and don't consider it particularly awkward. Awkward is me saying in front of my biology teacher how I'd hate to be a teacher, or her showing the class a picture of her little daughter and me saying 'It's a nicely lit photo'. The worst thing is it usually takes me about 5 minutes to realise what I said wrong, by which time it's too late. The latter actually took me about 3 days.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with saying it's a nicely lit photo? Also what's wrong with saying you'd hate to be a teacher?

I absolutely detest people who point out people for being shy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Yeah, great advice. Definitely the best way to make friends is to answer "its none of your (****ing) business (you disgusting whore)" when they try to be friendly. :rolleyes:
    all i meant is he should stick up for himself rather than being the "nice guy " and trying to make friends with everyone .

ReputationRep:
    all i meant is he should stick up for himself rather than being the "nice guy " and trying to make friends with everyone .
    What's wrong with being friendly towards someone who is clearly trying to help him out by making small talk? You're hardly going to make friends by acting like some mentalist psychopath at a social gathering.

"Hi, welcome to the party. Can I get you a drink?"

"Do I look like I want a ****ing drink you prick? Why don't you go **** off before I stab you in the face?"

Is that your approach? Does it work well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    What's wrong with being friendly towards someone who is clearly trying to help him out by making small talk? You're hardly going to make friends by acting like some mentalist psychopath at a social gathering.

"Hi, welcome to the party. Can I get you a drink?"

"Do I look like I want a ****ing drink you prick? Why don't you go **** off before I stab you in the face?"

Is that your approach? Does it work well?
    well read the op , and you will notice conversation didnt go anything like that ..after saying no once ,the host kept on insisting him to have something , and his friend commenting his shy. There are lots of socially acceptable things he could have said , without him looking like a ****.

ReputationRep:
    well read the op , and you will notice conversation didnt go anything like that ..after saying no once ,the host kept on insisting him to have something , and his friend commenting his shy. There are lots of socially acceptable things he could have said , without him looking like a ****.
    So they could see he was shy and feeling awkward, assumed that he was turning down the food out of politeness, and tried to help him/involve him in the conversation/ get him to loosen up a bit by trying to get him to relax and eat something... all the signs of a polite and thoughtful host. She sounds like a nice girl... and your reaction to this unprecedented level of kindness and consideration would be to tell her to "mind her own business". Seriously?

Really the OP should have eaten something, or at very least should have ****ing loosened up and made a joke out of it, not just smiled at her like he was thinking how nice her head would look in his freezer.

ReputationRep:
    They are force-feeders. Switch social circle.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.