Turn on thread page Beta

Bands you think should be much bigger than they are/were watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by miike1234)
    What bands do you think should be much bigger than they actually are? I thought this thread might be good for discovering some great new bands, so post the ones you think we should all be listening to.

My personal favourite is Nizlopi, you've probably all heard their JCB song but they're so much more than that. They've got a few albums which have some of the best songs I've ever heard.

Here's one of their songs called Freedom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66dXHCCyQIw

Let me know if you like them.
    When I saw the title I was going to post Nizlopi. Good call.

JCB is still the best song though IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Athlete.

ReputationRep:
    Streetlight Manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    Bright Eyes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Amateur Transplants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pensivedore)
    Hypocrites. If any of these bands became popular you'll all jump on the badnwagon of 'ohhh, they are like, so mainstreeeeam now, i totaly prefered their older stuff, y'know, back in. the day...' Pfft. That said, I think Alkaline Trio need to be far more popular than they're now.
    First you bash down on people suggesting bands (with nothing else backing it up than assumptions), then you suggest a band yourself. Who's the real hypocrit here?

OnT:
    Isolation Years, Libertines, Glassjaw, Sage Francis, Okkervil River, Gogol Bordello, The Plan and The Tough Alliance. The list could go on. All great artists and bands that don't get the recognition their brilliant music deserve.

ReputationRep:
    The Subways. They're so f****** awesome live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miike1234)
    What bands do you think should be much bigger than they actually are? I thought this thread might be good for discovering some great new bands, so post the ones you think we should all be listening to.

My personal favourite is Nizlopi, you've probably all heard their JCB song but they're so much more than that. They've got a few albums which have some of the best songs I've ever heard.

Here's one of their songs called Freedom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66dXHCCyQIw

Let me know if you like them.
    Yeah I absolutely agree, nizlopi were very good, don't think they were took seriously though after JCB, although I don't think any songs off that album were really single material, but the whole album works well.

Also a band I saw a few years ago called Fortune Drive were amazing, think they may have either changed their name now or split up, not too sure. but here's a taste of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUBdW...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    I only date models

Ed Sheeran

pretty sure ed sheeran is going to get pretty damn popular in the next year or two

ReputationRep:
    Warpaint. I love them!

ReputationRep:
    Sleater-Kinney. The Woods is an incredible album.

ReputationRep:
    Drive By Truckers and Trevvor and Hannah. Two great bands there...

ReputationRep:
    Pure Reason Revolution. The Dark Third is a masterpiece. And Ghinzu. Mirror Mirror is a fantastic album.

ReputationRep:
    Neu!, Portishead, J Dilla , Iron & Wine, Chuck Berry ,The Bronx, Allman Brothers Band, Sonic Youth and in some respects Velvet Underground & The Kinks.

*Edited - I wanted to add some more artists in order to be pretentious

ReputationRep:
    The Pixies imo. Unbelievabably inspirational to quite a few bands post 1990 - especially Nirvana and Radiohead.

Basically Black Francis is a God.

And Kim Deal.... :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Jenny Wilson

ReputationRep:
    Japan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalnitrate)
    Japan.
    I've been meaning to listen to Japan for a while, because of Barbieri (I'm a bit of a Porcupine Tree fanboy). Best album to start with?

ReputationRep:
    To the people saying Bright Eyes, surely their underground status is their mass appeal? Love them/him anyway.

Bombay Bicycle Club deserve to be bigger; relatively known, but so so good and deserve more.
    Noah and the Whale are well known, but have never had the critical success undeserving bands like Mumford & Sons have. (Apart from 5 bloody Years Time)
    Johnny Flynn
    Gil Scott Heron
    Metronomy
    Nick Drake
    Okkervil River
    The Rakes
    Ryan Adams
    Slow Club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Every Math Rock band ever.
    Liiike

Loads of them have split up now
    Do you have any band suggestions that I might not know of?
    stuff like colour, meet me in st louis, this town needs guns, faraquets, blakfish, tubelord?

cheers

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.