Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose14)
    I should have said successful. City and Chelsea aren't even that big in my opinion.
    chelsea have a massive international fanbase, fyi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Doesn't everyone support their Da's club, anyway?
    Before I even understood football my Dad had turned me into a Man Utd supporter. I saw the light when I was still young and became a Blackburn fan. I've never looked back since.
    The whole Gloryhunting thing starts young when kids from Devon can boast to their mates about Man Utd winning the league etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciaran_A)
    Before I even understood football my Dad had turned me into a Man Utd supporter. I saw the light when I was still young and became a Blackburn fan. I've never looked back since.
    The whole Gloryhunting thing starts young when kids from Devon can boast to their mates about Man Utd winning the league etc.
    Why did you see the light? Live in Blackburn and it was easier to nip along and watch a game/it was a social activity you and your mates could do?

Football for me has always been a father and son thing- most of my mates support Rangers, Motherwell or teams down South. The few Tims I know I've know for less time and aren't as interested (I don't think) so whilst I understand the above reasons, they didn't apply to me.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you see the light? Live in Blackburn and it was easier to nip along and watch a game/it was a social activity you and your mates could do?

Football for me has always been a father and son thing- most of my mates support Rangers, Motherwell or teams down South. The few Tims I know I've know for less time and aren't as interested (I don't think) so whilst I understand the above reasons, they didn't apply to me.
    I was never a football fan when I was young, I didnt play it and I didn't watch it. The first match I went to was a Rovers match when I was about 10. I think we beat Burnley 5-0 and then I started getting into it and just loved Rovers from then on. I know that when I have kids I'm definitely making them Rovers fans whether I still live in Blackburn or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I don't really know, to be honest. While I would certainly start watching the team who plays the best football with admiration, perhaps it's a bit emotionally difficult to stop supporting a team that you've already been supporting for so long, once you're familiar with all the players and the club's history etc.
    You have literally NO IDEA about football and what goes into supporting a club :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    You have literally NO IDEA about football and what goes into supporting a club :lol:
    Why don't you tell me then?
    What does it involve, besides watching your team and hoping they win?

ReputationRep:
    Don´t worry too much about it, there are always those fans who keep telling themselves that it was their "support" which scored the goal in the 90th minute.

ReputationRep:
    Being there no matter what.
    Sticking with them through the good and the bad.
    Going to see the game even though you know you are going to loose, and its pissing down with rain, freezing cold and you have coursework to do.
    Not changing your mind about who you support.
    Supporting them because they are your club, not because they play good football.

What if the club you "support" (because they play good football) suddenly stop playing good football? Would you change to "supporting" another team?

ReputationRep:
    My dad supported Arsenal and that passed onto me (while they were still a mid-table club in the mid-90s, I should add).

As long as you have a decent reason (other than trophies) to support the club and take a genuine (and I mean genuine) interest in the day-to-day workings of the club instead of spedning the whole time going 'OH EM GEE MANYOO ARE THE BEST COS ROONEY IS AMAZAN' or 'OH EM GEE SACK THE MANAGER AND THE BOARD, UR DOIN IT WRONG', then I see no reason why it's so unacceptable to support a 'big' club.

I think it says far more if you actually go and play for/watch your closest local league team from time to time (when I'm home I play for Hawkchurch FC).

ReputationRep:
    What WelshBlueBird said. It doesn't matter what division West Ham are in, if in the future they fall out of the football league alltogether and only bring in crowds of 3,000 i'll be one of them there. You travel the country to watch them, even when you're expected to lose. Football determines how good your weekend actually is. It has literally nothing to do with how well they play, or what they win, you will alway support them and will not even think about supporting another club.

The main word is 'support'. I am literally supporting West Ham because i am regularly giving them money. If you don't do that you aren't a supporter, just someone who likes watching them on TV.

ReputationRep:
    My grandad grew up in Liverpool, and by following them even when he moved away it rubbed off on my dad, and then it rubbed off on me. I love them and would never ever think of swapping them for another team. My local team is Reading and I hate them anyway, all dirty horrible players.

ReputationRep:
    I should be supporting Watford :indiff:

Spurs are the second closest team to where I grew up..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose14)
    Why is is that people who are not from Liverpool, Manchester, London etc. Choose to support the big clubs? In my opinion it is gloryhunting. You hardly ever used to see Chelsea shirts but I now see them all over the place. And the same thing will probably happen with city. The reason I ask is because my mate decided one day that he is now going to support arsenal when he used to support everton. In my opinion you should take the good times with the bad and support your local team.
    Didn't know much about club football, only watched international football, decided to pick the team where Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Neville, Neville, Cole and Sheringam all played. Seemed to make sense at the time. Never knew how much trouble that'd get me in in the long run!

Edit: I was about 9 or 10 when I came to this decision having never really had any family member telling me about football.

ReputationRep:
    What is your local team? So someone who supports for example Oldham is supporting there local team? When in fact the Butchers Arms FC is a closer team

ReputationRep:
    Meh i used to support Wimbledon as a kid, would go to their games every week until they collapsed. Most of my family supported Man United already so seemed natural to do so as well, i go and watch fulham most weeks though.

ReputationRep:
    Traditionally British football has always had a tribal element to it and up until about 20 years ago - the local team was part of the working family's identity - Sky, in particular, have broken this link - enabling the ordinary fan to watch from their armchairs. This, coupled with rising prices - has limited the ordinary fans' ability to watch local games live.

It doesn't help when people like Tim Lovejoy have so much exposure (originally at Watford fan, now supports Chelsea) and think that football was invented in 1991.

Supporting your local team team gives someone a certain smugness, despite the relative unsuccessful nature of that club.

I've supported Forest for over 15 years, and have had season tickets in the Premiership, Championship (Division 1) and League 1 - and yes, supporting your team through think and thin is the mark of a proper football fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaken_earth)
    chelsea have a massive international fanbase, fyi
    I don't know for sure, but is this since abramovich has taken over? They have won relatively little and have relatively poor away support. United, Liverpool and Arsenal are all far bigger in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Football for me has always been a father and son thing- most of my mates support Rangers, Motherwell or teams down South.
    Same. I was one of the very few Celtic fans in my school, if it wasn't for my family I'd probably be an animal :yucky: :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    I came to England when I was 10- watching my first football match, I convinced myself I was going to support the team in red not knowing at all what they were called or how good they were. Turns out they were Manchester United and I've supported them ever since

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Same. I was one of the very few Celtic fans in my school, if it wasn't for my family I'd probably be an animal :yucky: :afraid:
    I can also relate. All my friends are huns expect two. One a man u fan and the other a celtic fan.

I was the only tim in my year at 5th year and one of about 6 for the start of secondry.

But as always I remain an unrepentant fenian *******!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.