Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide! Watch

U.S Lecce
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't abide people that dictate what we should eat and how we should eat it, as if your taste is right and ours is wrong :dontknow:
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
Posh ham n melon is a wedding starter staple. You never had a snickers bar? They're quite salty.
Yeah I love Snickers - can't taste any salt in them though. I've had proscuitto wrapped round cooked mozzarella before as a starter, but not with melon. I can imagine that they would go well together though.
tibbles209
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by U.S Lecce)
I can't abide people that dictate what we should eat and how we should eat it, as if your taste is right and ours is wrong :dontknow:
Aw come on, this thread's just supposed to be a bit of fun! It's about expressing opinions, not dictating. Surely there are some food-related things that annoy you?
Racheld25
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Putting sugar on sugar puffs, or frosties - WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
jordz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TotoMimo)
Another one I've experienced was just this past Christmas, and it wound me up really badly.

At Christmas, I received a box of Signature Selection Hotel Chocolat chocolates; now, these are pretty damned premium stuff (I think they work out like £1-£1.50 PER CHOCOLATE) so they're very coveted by me... but hey, it's Christmas, right? So I crack open this £25-£30 box of chocolates and offer one to my mum, dad, and sister JUST as my Aunt visits. Clearly I'm not going to pass out chocolates to some people and not others, so my Aunt (who, can I just state for the record, is even more of a total commoner than my immediate family, which says a lot considering our usual meals were special offers from Farmfoods most days) was offered one too. She picked out "whatever one has caramel in it" and took a big bite out of it, grimaced, and said "oh, that's rotten, that one", throwing the remainder away, immediately snatching the opportunity to look at the little chocolate menu and grabbing a different variety, to which she had the same reaction and said "Tommy, what kind of chocolate are they, they taste rancid!"

This alone would've been enough to send me over the edge, but managing to salvage about two thirds of my box from the clutches of the "I'm going to sit here and take a bite out of every one in the box and spit it out like a toddler" brigade, I put the lid back on and put them through onto the kitchen counter. After exchanging gifts, my mum enquired where my young 8-year old cousin was (who had come with my Aunt), and I went through into the kitchen, to see the greedy little pig munching through my chocolates - and I mean, munching. You know in cartoons when you see them not even finishing what's in their mouth before grabbing another? That. With Hotel Chocolat Signature Collection chocolates.

I will never forget the number 8, because it was literally, the number of chocolates remaining in the box I got to keep to myself.

I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I ALWAYS keep my Hotel Chocolat hidden. :coma:
Etoile
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TotoMimo)
'Ello 'ello 'ello! Looks like you're committing a crime towards food and drink so heinous I'll have to nick ya!

This thread is devoted to those things that we believe are the absolute atrocities against food we've ever experienced/witnessed. Whether someone has a habit that ruins perfectly delicious foods in your eyes, or discards the best part of something, everyone has something they regard as a real Food Crime. I'll get the ball rolling with a few examples.

CHUCKING AWAY THE ENDERS/HEELS/KNOBBIES OF A LOAF

These may well be the last pieces eaten in a loaf of bread, but to throw them away is a crime that cannot be tolerated. They are the absolute heroes when it comes to toast (topped or otherwise) and the only beast strong enough to actually be picked up when topped with beans whilst other slices disintegrate, engulfed in the bean-juice of devastation.

PINEAPPLE ON PIZZA/GAMMON

A slightly more controversial addition for me to add, but this to me, is an absolute food crime. Pineapple is one of those fruits which is unarguably very sweet. It's not even like one of those fruits that has a muted flavour... it's sweet. Sweet as a flavour is synonymous with dessert, and to me, a nice juicy gammon steak or cheesy pizza... well, that's just not a dessert. By being so sugary-sweet, the addition of pineapple overpowers the taste of the other ingredients entirely, even whilst cooked; and the mouthfeel of your tongue tearing apart hot pineapple... not cool, man. Not cool. Jail time. No parole.

KETCHUP ON STEAK

Now, I'm not talking about having a little pot on the side as pictured above. I'm talking about something all the more atrocious.

I once went with my family for a meal at a nice restaurant; myself, mum, dad, sister, aunt, uncle, nieces and nephew. My uncle ordered a fairly expensive steak, and ordered it medium-rare. Nobody else had; he quite literally held up all of our other orders whilst his special sizzling platter arrived and everyone created a hubbub about how fancy it all was.

"Do you have ketchup, please?" he asked. They brought him a little silver bowl with a spoon. "No, the bottle, do you have the bottle?"

They returned with the bottle of luminous red elixir and he proceeded to DOUSE his steak, specifically, in ketchup. He started eating it, I almost couldn't SEE this gorgeous piece of premium-cut, perfectly cooked medium rare steak under a bloody blanket of the sweet condiment. My aunt laughed at him and jokingly asked "How does the steak taste?"

His response?

"A bit overcooked... I think".

"He thinks", because he doesn't know - the upmarket, expensive palate-tingling subtle sensations that only a medium-rare steak can provide have been wholeheartedly raped and reduced to the tastes of an eighty-pence McDonalds hamburger!

So name what you regard as your OWN Food Crimes, TSR!
:eek::eek::eek: The first and last I agree with, but hawaiian pizza is LUSH!!!! The whole point is the contrast between sweet and savoury...like sweet & sour chinese!

I will submit: cooked tomatoes. My mum does them with a fry up & quite frankly it's disgusting!!! And also orange & blackcurrant squash mixed together, melted ice cream & butter with jam
dnumberwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One word: Salad.

I might have posted this 200 times before, but salad is not food

Vegetables are not food unless they are cooked

(Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
Eating meat . . .

Please don't flame me.
Oh well, I have been negged too for suggesting 'being vegetarian' as a crime
giantlemon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
personally i hate hotel chocolate stuff. my mum works there so we get it all the time and it just tastes like over priced dark over-cocoa'd chocolate. much prefer cadbury's.

no one has mentioned the BIGGEST CRIME OF ALL-WASTING FOOD! why buy something and leave some of it? WTF! now i can even go to the extent of forgiving if someone is given huge ammounts by someone else and leaves some, but when they get their own and leave it, my God they should be crucified.
OmnipotentOmelette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Fussy Eaters make me ANGRY!!!
Even if you don't like food, you should eat it anyway.

Also, lol at all the food rage and food snobbery here
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by giantlemon)
personally i hate hotel chocolate stuff. my mum works there so we get it all the time and it just tastes like over priced dark over-cocoa'd chocolate. much prefer cadbury's.

no one has mentioned the BIGGEST CRIME OF ALL-WASTING FOOD! why buy something and leave some of it? WTF! now i can even go to the extent of forgiving if someone is given huge ammounts by someone else and leaves some, but when they get their own and leave it, my God they should be crucified.
You've eaten too much of Hotel Chocolat, too regularly.
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thru sun and rain)
One that really annoys me is when people refuse to eat tomatoes but need to slather everything in ketchup. Then my brother will not eat of a plate which has a drop of water that had brocoli cooked in or bean sauce.
A raw tomatoe and tomatoe ketchup are two different entities.
Etoile
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ElfManiac)
I tried a ham, cream cheese and pineapple sandwich at uni once. I could kind of see the thinking behind it - ham and cream cheese is good, ham and pineapple on pizza is good (not convinced about it in a sandwich), but all three together was just disgusting.
Never, ever again!
gonna have to try this now
I am known for my strange combinations, like satay sauce on chicken nuggets (anything to disguise the taste :L) and peanut butter on crumpets (well jam and crumpets go together, and so do jam and peanut butter..it was lush might try clotted cream too, on the basis that it goes in scones lol!)
thru sun and rain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
A raw tomatoe and tomatoe ketchup are two different entities.
yes may be so, but ketchup and baked beans are very similar, My brother also refuses to eat any veg except from carrots. Not only that but I made a meal once, didn't tell him what was in it (chopped tomatoes) and he was saying it was very good and he had nearly finished it all before someone told him that there was tomatoes in it and then he refused to touch it saying it was disgusting.
MelissaJayne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Generally ignorance that is shown to the best bits of foods. Like, not eating the skin of a jacket tatty. Cutting the crusts off of bread. Throwing away broccoli stalks. Picking the skin off a cooked chicken. Not having the skin that forms on the top of warm custard.
amizzle91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
^ Agree about not eating the skin of a baked potato... that's the best bit, especially when properly ovencooked :coma:

And yep, pineapple does not belong on pizza in my opinion :p: Never ever liked it or even thought it appetising.
jeh_jeh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People who "don't like vegetables" because they think they're cool, or something. I mean, fair enough if you have a specific aversion to one, or a few, vegetables, but when someone puts some massive blanket ban on them it REALLY annoys me. In a similar vein, people who go to Chinese/Indian/Japanese restaurants and order English/Westernised meals just shouldn't bother, quite frankly. I also have an aversion to people who eat ketchup with everything - it ruins the taste. The biggest crime, however, is thinking that Domino's/Pizza Hut pizza is anything like the real Italian deal.
MelissaJayne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jeh_jeh)
People who "don't like vegetables" because they think they're cool, or something. I mean, fair enough if you have a specific aversion to one, or a few, vegetables, but when someone puts some massive blanket ban on them it REALLY annoys me. In a similar vein, people who go to Chinese/Indian/Japanese restaurants and order English/Westernised meals just shouldn't bother, quite frankly. I also have an aversion to people who eat ketchup with everything - it ruins the taste. The biggest crime, however, is thinking that Domino's/Pizza Hut pizza is anything like the real Italian deal.
My ex point-blank refused ANY vegetable. Even if I covered it in cheese which he loved, of course, as it was unhealthy. I'd make him countless dinners that he didn't eat and he once thought the most romantic thing he could so was "give it a go" when I asked him to try the cauliflower cheese I'd made him. Upon picking it up on his fork and looking at it he said, "No, I tried. I cant." I asked him if he'd ever tried cauliflower, to which he replied no, I just know I don't like it. SO ANNOYING.

So one morning he was hungover, I made him bubble and squeak out of loads of leftover vegetables but I told him it was a chicken and cheese and egg mix. He ate it and said it was one of the best things he'd ever eaten. I told him what it really was. He ran to the toilet?

WTF.
jeh_jeh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MelissaJayne)
So one morning he was hungover, I made him bubble and squeak out of loads of leftover vegetables but I told him it was a chicken and cheese and egg mix. He ate it and said it was one of the best things he'd ever eaten. I told him what it really was. He ran to the toilet?

WTF.
I would actually just tell my boyfriend to man the hell up if he did that.

On a slightly related note, my boy hates cheese. I cannot for the life of me fathom how this is possible... especially for a member of the male species. :p:
dnumberwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jeh_jeh)
People who "don't like vegetables" because they think they're cool, or something. I mean, fair enough if you have a specific aversion to one, or a few, vegetables, but when someone puts some massive blanket ban on them it REALLY annoys me.
It's probably 10 year olds who do that... although I might have said it at some point, because I really do think pretty much all vegetables I've tried taste rubbish, but only when raw. Most cooked veggies are fine
Potiron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dnumberwang)
It's probably 10 year olds who do that... although I might have said it at some point, because I really do think pretty much all vegetables taste rubbish, but only when raw. Most cooked veggies are fine
Cooked vegetarians are delicious :ninja:

Although are yet another thing that's ruined when slathered in ketchup.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads