Turn on thread page Beta

Guns should be legalised in this country watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    Each year, guns are used over a million times in self-defence in the United States. Moreover, kindly look at Switzerland, a country with one of the highest per-capita gun ownership rates in the world yet with one of the lowest -- particularly gun- -- crime rates in the world.
    Switzerland has far more intentional gun deaths per 10,000 than most other european countries, including England. Statistically speaking, gun possession during a robbery or assault does nothing to decrease your risk of being shot; and may even increase it: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0930121512.htm

(Original post by Studentrepreneur)
    Such a pathetic nanny state we live in. We're not allowed to own firearms to protect ourselves? Absolute garbage.
    Who cares? I use a crossbow and a hunting bow. Who needs a gun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentrepreneur)
    Such a pathetic nanny state we live in. We're not allowed to own firearms to protect ourselves? Absolute garbage.
    There is a fine line between 'protect' and 'attack' when you've got a gun.

ReputationRep:
    Ive never been in the situtation where I've needed a gun

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because thousands of guns is exactly what the streets of Britain need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    That chart is the most biased, misleading piece of crap i have ever seen. Comparing only 19 countries out of 200+ is not exactly a good representative of global gun ownership rates to the gun death ratio, is it. :rolleyes:

And that brings me onto my next point, that this chart only relates to "gun deaths". Now "gun deaths" include murder and manslaughter with firearms (not overall murders), but also accidents, suicides, fatal shootings carried out by the police, and lawful self defence killings. Gun death rates alone are not a good indicator of how dangerous or safe a country is.

If you took those same countries in that chart, but this time compared the ratio of gun ownership to the overall murder rate (not just gun murders), or even serious violent crime rates, you would see a completely different layout. You will also find that there is virtually NO correlation between gun ownership and overall murder rates.
    I believe the point was to compare western countries and it would not have been possible to gain data for other countries such as DRC or Myanmar, for obvious reasons.

Secondly, you didn't read the graph correctly; it said intentional firearm deaths. So, that would not include "accidents, suicides, fatal shootings carried out by the police, and lawful self defence killings."

In reply to your third paragraph, I'm surprised that you're blindly assuming something with no evidence whatsoever. Therefore, I won't even bother arguing against such a tenuous argument. Come back with some evidence and then we'll have a debate.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but having a gun for defense is such a stupid idea. Crazy murderer guy is going to have a lot more experience with guns then your grandma who enjoys Sudoku on a Sunday afternoon. Most likely you won't be able to pull your gun out in time before the crazy person shoots you or you'll both fire at the same time causing 2 deaths instead of the 1. Then you have the problem of some chav flipping because they got pasta bake for dinner instead of pizza and chips, so they shoot their mum and take to the streets and a mass murder begins. OK that's stupid and extreme, but you understand my point. We are fine without guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    I really wish people would do some research before implying truths that on closer inspection are simply spurious.

It looks like japan have minus gun crime!!!!! Thats some damn fine policing, damn fine

ReputationRep:
    I don't think letting everyone have guns is a good idea, specially after all the shootings in america..

but i honestly don't get why your police don't carry any.... i've heard all they carry is a baton and a whistle...
    its not that intimidating at all, and i think its better to prevent crimes from happening then stopping them in/after the act

ReputationRep:
    who ever likes guns are poo heads

ReputationRep:
    coming from an american who knows people who collect guns and go hunting and such, i completely disagree with OP.

i think there shouldn't be guns allowed ever. period. not even for hunting. the only people that should have guns are the police and military personnel. but, even then, people can be exploitative.

some of the gun laws in america are ridiculous. tell me why, exactly, you need an automatic and/or semi-automatic weapon again? oh, you need it for hunting/your collection? yeah, no, i don't think so.

the goddamn NRA. too bad they have congress by the balls. thank god i live in california, is all i have to say. i don't think i'd be able to live in a state where the NRA has strong roots.

sd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    I really wish people would do some research before implying truths that on closer inspection are simply spurious.

Where did I say there were more firearms? Just that there's less regulation. Also, the only firearms death related 'crime' that is high in Switzerland is the firearms suicide rate.

Read what I posted.

A majority of firearms related offences are symptoms of a problem, not the cause.

As for the number of offences I remember reading in the same article that I read about Switzerland that more gun crime is committed there by non-permanent residents than by the Swiss themselves, although it's only a vague recollection so I'm not certain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12441834 Again, highest suicide rate in Europe, which is most likely why your graph reads the way it does. Misleading nonetheless for the point you're trying to make.

Edit: A chart of my own.

ReputationRep:
    FULLY AGREE! Not that its hard to get a gun anyway when your living in London etc, just need a bit of digging

ReputationRep:
    ITT: Lots of pampered children with no idea about guns whatsoever. I bet you all think the mere whiff of a bullet anywhere within a thousand yards of you means death, don't you?

A knife is capable of creating really horrific wounds, much more so than a gun because the wielder of a knife can use his "creativity", and be comparatively precise, to turn my chest into a modern art masterpiece if he so chooses. With a gun, the only way wounds can approach those of a knife is by upping the caliber.

Its much harder to land a shot on a moving target outside close range than Call of Duty would have you believe. In close range, or if I'm not aware, it makes little difference to me whether they have a knife or a gun, I'm still ****ting bricks.

I don't think anybody would advocate the legalization of full automatic weapons; in a civilian situation, they're unnecessary. Their purpose in the military is to provide suppressive fire as part of a full fire team; not something likely to pop up in a civilian situation.

Also, yeah, guns are difficult to obtain here, but note that our knife crime rates are some of the highest in the Western world. Its simply a replacement procedure; murderers will murder, using whatever is quickest and most efficient to get a hold of.

I personally would like to rifles legalized, in semi automatic only, to vetted individuals with no criminal record and sound mental state. I would not like to see the legalisation of pistols and submachine guns, as they are too easily concealable regardless of their decreased lethality compared with a rifle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    Each year, guns are used over a million times in self-defence in the United States. Moreover, kindly look at Switzerland, a country with one of the highest per-capita gun ownership rates in the world yet with one of the lowest -- particularly gun- -- crime rates in the world.
    I honestly think our culture is more similar to the US than it is to the Swiss.

There are a lot of people in society that I do not think should be allowed to own a gun.

I'm sure the Swiss are allowed guns as part of their national service. We don't have anything like that here. Can you imagine the amount of charvers walking the streets carrying guns? Knife crime is bad enough. To legalise the possession of small arms would cause mayhem.

We do not need the gang culture that plagues major US cities. Allowing our young people to carry guns would, IMO, bring that culture over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColonelMoore)
    ITT: Lots of pampered children with no idea about guns whatsoever. I bet you all think the mere whiff of a bullet anywhere within a thousand yards of you means death, don't you?

A knife is capable of creating really horrific wounds, much more so than a gun because the wielder of a knife can use his "creativity", and be comparatively precise, to turn my chest into a modern art masterpiece if he so chooses. With a gun, the only way wounds can approach those of a knife is by upping the caliber.

Its much harder to land a shot on a moving target outside close range than Call of Duty would have you believe. In close range, or if I'm not aware, it makes little difference to me whether they have a knife or a gun, I'm still ****ting bricks.

I don't think anybody would advocate the legalization of full automatic weapons; in a civilian situation, they're unnecessary. Their purpose in the military is to provide suppressive fire as part of a full fire team; not something likely to pop up in a civilian situation.

Also, yeah, guns are difficult to obtain here, but note that our knife crime rates are some of the highest in the Western world. Its simply a replacement procedure; murderers will murder, using whatever is quickest and most efficient to get a hold of.

I personally would like to rifles legalized, in semi automatic only, to vetted individuals with no criminal record and sound mental state. I would not like to see the legalisation of pistols and submachine guns, as they are too easily concealable regardless of their decreased lethality compared with a rifle.
    The problem with violence is that the ability to do it en masse, and from a greater distance increases it.

A lot of people would have a problem with knifing someone. It's messy, you have to be within reaching distance, and knives are easier to defend yourselves against.

Guns aren't as messy, they can be used from a much greater distance, they're harder to defend against. Also, with a 15 round clip you could take out 10+ people in about 30 seconds. Can't do that with a knife. Guns are far worse.

ReputationRep:
    well i live in essex.....and it dont seem like guns are illegal tbh! i can get a ump45 or ak47 4rm the corner of my street...no joke!

must confess.....i agree with the title of this thread....cuz ive ended lives with a bullet

RIP SHU.....one shot to the head was -ve peak for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    I refer you to Switzerland.

Even less firearms regulation than the US.

Offs people, negged for stating a fact?
    That's because every household has a rifle, and everyone above a certain age is trained to use that. Would you steal a car in a quiet neighbourhood knowing the Neighbourhood Watch is comprised of trained riflemen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    That doesn't make any sense - why would we want to compare general murder rates when we're having a discussion on firearms? We don't have any need to include say knife-related deaths or murders resulting from someone being pushed off a building.

Likewise, accidents and suicides probably fall in line, but whether they do or don't doesn't detract from the correlation between number of households bearing arms and firearm-related deaths. If you have sources for accidents, manslaughter, suicide and so forth, then bring them to the table; otherwise, don't speculate; the graph shows a clear correlation as a useful statistic.

In terms of number of countries included, I completely agree, but would point out that many countries are unlikely to keep statistics on gun ownership and gun-related deaths.

Although to be fair, it doesn't really seem appropriate to include every country - I can only imagine how the graph would change if we included Iraq and Zimbabwe. Likewise, an autonomous country like Greenland probably doesn't even receive shipments of weapons.
    Oh my God, i am losing the will to live. I explained that gun death rates alone do not give an acurate indication of how dangerous a country is, however overall murder rates DO. The common consensus is that more guns = more murders and generally a more dangerous country. I am simply trying to point out that this is not neccessarily the case.

Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.