?
Report 7 years ago
with difficulty
foreveryoung01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it takes great skill, a destroyed sleeping pattern and lots and lots of coffee.
mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
this seems impossible
whateverbingo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello!
Just drink a can of bison and you are good to go.
Steph90
Badges: 9
Report 7 years ago
My deadline is today (in 45 mins). I managed to finish my work at 4am, got up at 10ish and i've just finished the bibliography
Supernova*23
Report 7 years ago
Some people write better under intense pressure.
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
Lucky you! Did you still write a plan/read anything?
Steph90
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lizfairy)
Lucky you! Did you still write a plan/read anything?
Yea definately.. I wouldn't do it without one. I wouldn't know what to do. Its all in the planning, knowing what to write, how much and how to structure it.

Bare in mind though I didn't do it all yesterday, I started planning it the day before and I do quite a detailed plan.

I start by writing a list of all the issues that need to be considered, then reseach each area, making notes of everything that i think is relevant.

Then I get rid of all the **** that I don't need and write up a fairly detailed plan from my notes. Then I hand write it all.

Its a ****ing headache sometimes though and I'm not sure i've done so well this time.
SiobhanC
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know how they do it, but I will find out tonight as I have an essay in for 2:30pm tommorow, I've done the reading but I don't have any kind of plan. *gulp*
OBAG09L
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't planned any essay I've done since I got to Uni. Never had one printed out more than a few hours before it needed to be handed in and had fairly mixed results. Usually start reading at least a week before but never in a very focused manner and I fail to find the motivation to get into the essay itself more than a couple of days before a deadline.
History-Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
3000 words by tomorrow. No reading, no books, no plan.

Wish me luck my procrastinating brethren.
Reagan Smash
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do this only because I'm a lazy ***** and queen of procrastination. I also live by the fear and need it to do anything important. I've honestly tried to write essays ages before the deadlines but tbh watching old episodes of ER or watching that bit of dust in the air for hours to see where its gonna float to next always seems like a better idea at the time. That being said, I usually start it 2 days before the deadline because doing it the night before is hell. To do it I usually need to have some basic knowledge of the subject and I just write it all then as I go along I look up the topic of a paragraph in an index of a book and throw in a quote to make it look nicely researched. With some coke, chocolate, red and purple skittles (yellow ones are counter productive and made of evil) and an epic playlist it gets done. Write it in chunks, maybe set yourself a goal and when you reach it give yourself a reward. I try and aim for 500 words an hour with little breaks now and then and when I hit 1000 I have a big ish break and pat myself on the back.
Steph90
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by History-Student)
3000 words by tomorrow. No reading, no books, no plan.

Wish me luck my procrastinating brethren.
Lol, good luck.
History-Student
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Steph90)
Lol, good luck.
Thanks.

Also: Flawless. Mother****ing. VICTORY!!

2.30am-9am, 2800 words. And I even made it to work on time.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There were a couple of occasions when, due to being way too good at procrastination for my own good, I had to spend all the day and night before writing an essay from scratch. I'd bring all my books with me to the computers in the library first thing in the morning and just stay there all day (if I stayed in my house then I'd have been distracted all the time with stuff my housemates got up to, that I'd want to join in with). I'd try to do a certain amount of words every hour, and after every couple of hours I'd have a 10 or 15 minute break. Sometimes I'd have done a lot of the planning for the essay beforehand, so I could get with the actual essay pretty well, but at other times I'd just have to do it all completely from scratch as I went along.

I didn't have a laptop or PC of my own, so when the library closed in the evening I'd have to print off what I'd done so far and take it home with me. I'd carry on with the essay by hand all through the night, eating snacks I'd bought earlier to keep me going, and then arrive at the library first thing again, type up everything I'd done overnight, and carry on until 10 minutes before 12 o'clock, when I had to print it off and run to the History department to hand it in.

I didn't always cut it so fine though. There were quite a few times when although I did have to stay up all the night before, it wasn't because I'd left it all until the last minute; instead it was because although I had done a lot of reading beforehand and had made a decent start, I then got completely bogged down and got writer's block, and before I knew it I had almost no time left to complete it in.
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by History-Student)
I said that the first time.

I also said every time after that.

Once you know you can do an essay the night before, you lose any motivation to do it before then because what's the point when you can just do it the night before.

Welcome to the dark side of academia muahahahahaha :mwuaha:
My History essay is due on Monday. I started researching today. So I haven't left it 'til the last minute this week. :smug:

I'll probably end up writing it all on Sunday night though ...

Congrats on your Herculean effort.
Theconomist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it isn't due for tomorow it's not homework.
Emmie3303
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This thread has just given me the equivalent of a slap across the face to focus since I'm supposed to be doing my Ancient History essay right now .

Basically my method is to spend so much time and effort doing the reading that by the time I actually sit down to write the essay it only takes a day or so because I have been forming points in my head as I go along. It's definitely possible. I've not spent more than two days actually doing the writing part of my essays and I've got good marks for them all (although I wouldn't advise doing this becuase it's far too stressful ). I'm usually writing my essay the day before it's due and I seem to work better under pressure.

Anyway...I'm going to go and finish reading now so I can actually start writing tomorrow :getmecoat:. Good luck with your essay .
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emmie3303)
This thread has just given me the equivalent of a slap across the face to focus since I'm supposed to be doing my Ancient History essay right now .

Basically my method is to spend so much time and effort doing the reading that by the time I actually sit down to write the essay it only takes a day or so because I have been forming points in my head as I go along. It's definitely possible. I've not spent more than two days actually doing the writing part of my essays and I've got good marks for them all (although I wouldn't advise doing this becuase it's far too stressful ). I'm usually writing my essay the day before it's due and I seem to work better under pressure.

Anyway...I'm going to go and finish reading now so I can actually start writing tomorrow :getmecoat:. Good luck with your essay .
I do ancient history as an outside course this semester! I feel your pain!! Greece or Rome?
Emmie3303
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lizfairy)
I do ancient history as an outside course this semester! I feel your pain!! Greece or Rome?
Rome :grin:. You? I love the course but the essays aren't quite as fun :p:.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads