My boyfriend shoots rabbits? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
Translates to : I'm just ignorant and don't know what happens to my food, my boyfriend is a sick ******* and I am a hypocrite
there's me thinking there was a law against causing suffering to animals before killing. silly ignorant me.
JWH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's fine as long as you cook them afterwards shooting them just for the sake of killing them is a bit messed up in my opinion. Also certain guns make it less painful a clean shot with a rifle would kill it straight out but if your stupid a try to shoot it with something like a shotgun there's a much larger chance of just injuring it rather than killing it.
*Dreaming*
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't like it at all. I am a vegetarian but even if I wasn't, killing animals just for the sake of it just seems wrong, and when you have pets it just makes it all seem worse
Ferret Master
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I undertake a lot of rabbit control for local farmers and sports grounds through both shooting during the day and night as well as ferreting. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it but I don't really gain any 'pleasure' from the kill although there is a sense of satisfaction from dispatching something cleanly with zero suffering.

None of the rabbits I cull are wasted and are all either eaten by myself, my family, given to friends, eaten by my ferrets or they go to local restaurants and farm shops. They were first brought to the UK as a food source and their meat is incredibly healthy with virtually zero fat. Comparing them to pets isn't really a valid comparison as they are a completely different beast and I know people with pet rabbits who are quite capable of differentiating between a wild one and pulling the trigger on it.

As an agricultural pest they cause millions of pounds worth of damage every year through eating crops, stripping the bark from trees and even livestock and horses breaking their legs in the holes which they dig. Similar problems are caused on sports pitches. It is nigh on impossible to fence them out of any decent sized area of land and the cost of maintaining such effective fencing would be prohibitive anyway.

I consider shooting and ferreting when conducted properly to be the most humane ways of dealing with rabbits. They are not indiscriminate so non-target species can escape unharmed and if you are a soft twit like me (and the farmer isn't watching) then you can let the tennis ball sized babies go for another day. Some cruely can definitely occur if a rabbit is wounded in shooting. However the odds of this can be significantly reduced by getting within the effective killing range of your quarry and using a suitably powered air rifle/FAC rifle/ cartridge and choke combination. If I wound something I feel sick to the depths of my stomach and I hate doing it. As a result it's not something that happens often.

THE ALTERNATIVE? Large populations of rabbits are more likely to contract and spread myxy. This was introduced by humans due to the damage being done by rabbits to food supplies in the 1950's and it eradicated 99% of the population however it has slowly been recovering since and it almost back to pre-myxy levels. For those of you who don't know what myxy is, it is the most vile way to die imaginable. The rabbits basically rot away from the inside out and are left blind, bleeding out of their eyes and backsides. Even the foxes show little interest in them, it's really that vile.

Long story short... it's not something everyone feels comfortable with but shooting is an essential part of the countryside and if it didn't exist the illegal spreading of myxy and poisoning which would be necessary to protect farmers livlihoods would only become more prolific. Just because your boyfriend is a shooter doesn't make him a bad person. Infact, if he has licenced firearms it proves that he has a good personal record and has passed a police interview where he has been deemed responsible with good reason for owning them.

Cheers,

FM
AwsomePossum
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
that is the single most delicious thing ive ever seen brb grabbing my ruger 10/22 and ill have that for tea BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.42%
No - but I will (6)
3.68%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (86)
52.76%

Watched Threads