Britain's Proudest Moment Watch

Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GGekko)
There's lots of reasons to be proud to be British. Likewise, there are as many reasons for Americans to be proud of their country. You're being just as illogical by saying pride is noot justified without a long history.
No, there is no reason why Americans should be proud but there are an infinite number of reasons to be proud to be British.
Fynch101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by U.S Lecce)
People may want it, but we certainly don't need it!
People want a lot more public spending than is currently being spent, but we obviously don't need it.
Rant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
Either give good, logical reasons or continue your life of ignorance. Although I would agree if you condemned the sickening patriotism of Americans, because their patriotism is institutionalised and for no real reason other than to maintain the ability to commit horrific war crimes without losing the confidence of its people. Pride in America is illogical because they have no history and have done nothing in this world. Their greatest 'achievement' was the American Revolutionary War.
Patriotism is a propaganda disease spread for political purposes. Pride in something you had no choice in and certainly didn't "achieve" (unless you built a time machine, went back and shagged your grandmother to be sure of being born in this country) is ridiculous.

Therefore, patriotism and national pride = idiocy.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Melvin has clearly forgotten to take his medications. I enjoyed watching the wedding even though being a foreigner and I wish them well, they are a nice couple. It was all fascinating. God save the Queen.
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fynch101)
People want a lot more public spending than is currently being spent, but we obviously don't need it.
ok :dontknow:
Fynch101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ok :dontknow:
There is literally no valid reason to abolish the monarchy. Its never going to happen. Its just like debating about the BNP again. Everything you say on the matter will be of no consequence so just **** off.
Rant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Melvin has clearly forgotten to take his medications. I enjoyed watching the wedding even though being a foreigner and I wish them well, they are a nice couple. It was all fascinating. God save the Queen.
I hope this was ironic.
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is literally no valid reason to abolish the monarchy. Its never going to happen. Its just like debating about the BNP again. Everything you say on the matter will be of no consequence so just **** off.

You on crack bro?
Rant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll have a place on the gibbet next to them.
GGekko
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rant)
Patriotism is a propaganda disease spread for political purposes. Pride in something you had no choice in and certainly didn't "achieve" (unless you built a time machine, went back and shagged your grandmother to be sure of being born in this country) is ridiculous.

Therefore, patriotism and national pride = idiocy.
You live up to your name. I'm sure most people on here have enough intelligence to realise that they did not achieve anything that they are claiming to be proud of. It's pretty patronising that your suggesting because someone has patriotism they are therefore under the control of political propaganda.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rant)
I hope this was ironic.
No, it was not. I support the monarchy.
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He sounded like he was going to start crying :/
NaturalDisaster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What a sad and miserable man. I feel sorry for him. To feel that much rage about a wedding is pointless. But hey, we all feel like that sometimes. My rage is usually directed against the Higher Biology course and the fussiness of SQA markers, his is clearly directed at the royal wedding. Still sad though.
tez.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A bitter old man who's lived a miserable, worthless life filled with disappointment. One should rejoice in such occasions as the Royal Wedding as it showcases what Britain still has and what it should always have and never lose.
I'd argue that you're probably more worthless if you need something as pathetic as a wedding of two rich tossers who are funded by the state to rejoice in life.
Keckers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I find it odd that people bang on about the royals as being an unfair institution but completely ignore the fact that the House of 'Commons' is elitist to the same extent. And it's the house of commons that makes public policy!
tez.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
No, it was not. I support the monarchy.
Easy for you to say that when it's not your taxes which are being paid so that they can live in palaces in perfect luxury by virtue of their being born.

e; above post, the difference is the House of Commons is elected by the people. The House of Lords perhaps you could make a case for, however they have significantly less power and a large amount are appointed by the people who you elected into power.
Rant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GGekko)
You live up to your name. I'm sure most people on here have enough intelligence to realise that they did not achieve anything that they are claiming to be proud of. It's pretty patronising that your suggesting because someone has patriotism they are therefore under the control of political propaganda.
Be patronised, then. Because it's true.
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol come on be rational, we don't need them. It's not as if we got rid of them life as we know would end and the uk would turn into war zone. And i doubt the rest of the world would think any less of the uk because we don't have a monarch. We are so influential in the world because of our foriegn policy (rightly or wrongly) not because of the monarch.
TBF When I was living in Germany, when people found out I was from England, the comment coming after that was either something to do with the Queen or football :p:. Tourism is a massive part of the UK and the royal family is at the heart of that. If we got rid of them, then how else do we cover the loss?
ish90an
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Think wider. Look at all the people who showed up. Look at how they came together to celebrate the union of their future King and Queen. Look at how the occasion brought together people from all over the world who forgot their differences and became one with each other. That's what Britain is about.
Then look at the people who couldn't give a flying ****(I don't think the Syrian ambassador, for one, is crying over being left out). People get married all the time, this obsessing over someone's wedding is best left to the tabloids instead of forcing itself on the front page of actual newspapers, especially when there are far bigger things to report, and only shallow people with no lives of their own take it as more than an extra day off work.
Occlusal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Chill out. If you don't like it don't watch it
He will still be paying for it though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.3%
No - but I will (38)
7.01%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (255)
47.05%

Watched Threads