Quest for a bigger bench and OHP Watch

MrBenchPress
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alex_tait)
I just read through your freshers pulling thread and loled at how insecure some people are. If you wanna beat me then lifting is gonna have to be more than just a hobby bro. If you do find out how to pull please let me know as I am going to the halls as a 2nd year. I am more muscular than the rugby players and nerdier than the WoW players.
Being swole is a good insurance policy for random pulling, in the event that you pull a taken bird, 9 out of 10 boyfriends are too small to even penetrate my beastly armour, let alone defend their territory.

A 100 kg strict press will be a beastly milestone though, pretty sure only Matt and Lozza have done that on TSR.
ibysaiyan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
100kg strict press... will be tough but I am in for it!
u4m1r
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just read through your freshers pulling thread and loled at how insecure some people are. If you wanna beat me then lifting is gonna have to be more than just a hobby bro. If you do find out how to pull please let me know as I am going to the halls as a 2nd year. I am more muscular than the rugby players and nerdier than the WoW players.
Were you not in halls in first year?
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by u4m1r)
Were you not in halls in first year?
Just heading back there again.
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
24/8/2011
DB OHP 40kg
2 left 3 right
3 left 3 right
1 left 1 right.

The DB just comes down and winds the crap out of me. Hurts too. I'm just gonna rest up and attempt to beat my 70kg 3x3 OHP record on Monday rather than bench pressing on that day.
ibysaiyan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good call.. if you're attempting for a PB or over.. let OHP be your concern Good luck!
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
Indeed. If I can hit 70kg for 3x5 it will increase my confidence in this 100kg overhead race.
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
30/8/2011
OHP 70kg 5/4/1 I think it's time for 1x5 on these now.
Squat 165kg 3x5. Was more weary of positioning but the bar still slided.
DB Rows 3x5 50kg
Curls

It seem that by the time my squat and bench will be done for 1x5 I will be on a madcow type progression for the ohp. Not sure how I would program that.
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
5/9/2011
Squat 170kg 1x3 150kg 2x5
Military Press 1x5 71kg
Chinups 3x6

My bodweight is 83kg. Moving stuff around during voluntary work and on the train back home has made me lose weight. I also need to do some posture fixing exercises to stop this really bad hunched forward posture I have. It's making it impossible to maintain a tight upper back on the squat and ohp.
u4m1r
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Strong!!!
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
(Original post by u4m1r)
Strong!!!
What is your max squat?
u4m1r
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What is your max squat?
Mdawg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
5/9/2011
Squat 170kg 1x3 150kg 2x5
Military Press 1x5 71kg
Chinups 3x6

My bodweight is 83kg. Moving stuff around during voluntary work and on the train back home has made me lose weight. I also need to do some posture fixing exercises to stop this really bad hunched forward posture I have. It's making it impossible to maintain a tight upper back on the squat and ohp.
Holy **** you're strong for your weight, pics?

Also how long have you been training for, sorry if this has been asked already.
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
Been working out for roughly 5 years now. Spent years doing bodybuilding stuff then got into strength training. Took me ages to realise that unless I had the height of Oleksander Kutcher or Ivan Stoitsov (my two favourite lifters at the time) then I was not going to look or perform like them at a bodyweight of 75kg. I also did routines that were too advanced for someone of my level ie westside. I read all their articles, torrented the dvds did the whole westside obsession thing with the exception of buying the t-shirt and getting the tatoos. I then read starting strength and realised that my main weakness was my weight. At 5'10 75kg I wasn't going to lift sh1t even with perfect technique. I also realised that I had never gotten my noobie gains so I am now just milking out stronglifts for all it is worth and gaining weight wherever possible.

I hope anyone reading this log can realise that you are a beginner for much longer than you think you are and if you go onto do more advanced routines when you haven't yet fully exhausted your noob gains then you are wasting your time.
MrBenchPress
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really jelly of your squatting strength there
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
Really jelly of your bodyweight.
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
10/8/2011
Bench Press 102.5kg 3/3/2
Squat 3x5 155kg

There is so little food in my home atm so I'm gonna have to drink 5 protein shakes a day until I leave. What should've been an easy squat today proved very difficult. The last rep lasting around 8 seconds on the lifting stage. I aim to get my bodyweight as back up as quickly as possible and fix my leverages. A personal trainer there told me to take the weight down because my form was really bad. He said that I am supposed be as upright as possible. They just don't know that you have to lean forward in order to balance the fact that you are sitting bad. He also looked like the heaviest weight he ever lifted was a pencil and a clipboard.I just politely nodded my head. My form is pretty bad atm as my upper back just never seems to stay straight. On Monday I will be working out with a friend of mine who will be able to record my lifts and I can put them up on here for you to criticize.

tbh I feel that I am within my right to tell people like that personal trainer to **** off but that is just me. I will also never work out without breakfast again. On my last set I was so closed to puking all over the floor.
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
12/8/2011
OHP 72.5kgx0 67.5kgx4
Really don't know wtf happened. Perhaps I just wasn't recovered from the bench press.
Deadlift 140kg 1x5
Just started doing these again for the sake of strengthening my lower back. I realize a few weren't fully locked out. Just haven't done this exercise in a very long time and have forgotten what it feels like to be fully locked out.

Gonna have a deload in both OHP and bench.
Illidan_Stormrage
Rep:
?
14/8/2011
Bench Press 3x5 92.5kg
Squat 160kg 5/5/4
Chinups 7/7/6

I should've done the deload with squats too. Unfortunately my friend had to go before I started squatting so I wasn't able to get any vids. I dunno what weight to deload to though. I managed to get one of the sets of my bench press recorded.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads