I feel very proud to be English Watch

theclash...
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In all honesty it was nice to see everyone participating in something all together. It made me feel great seeing people with flags up on their houses embracing their culture.

Also the wedding makes a change from all the topics in recent news that just cause depression in the country, no wonder everyone is so miserable!
Mike Johnston
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
The wedding was a massive boost to the economy and a much needed boost to British morale.
It was not a massive boost to the economy. The worldwide market for the royal wedding was about £1 billion, about £500 million of which was in Britain and the extra bank holiday cost £6 billion (many estimate more) to the British economy. Do the math.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mike Johnston)
It was not a massive boost to the economy. The worldwide market for the royal wedding was about £1 billion, about £500 million of which was in Britain and the extra bank holiday cost £6 billion (many estimate more) to the British economy. Do the math.
Do more than blindly believe figures you hear. Just think what effect this time off will have on a larger scale, don't you think that after people have had a few days off work and gone out shopping that they'll be more likely to spend more money over the coming weeks? Don't you think it's better to lose some money but increasing the flow of cash around the economy rather than leave it stagnant? Don't you think that businesses may have lost a day's work, but all it takes is for them to work a bit harder before those 8 working hours they've lost are recouped over the next month or even week?
RFextra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
Do more than blindly believe figures you hear. Just think what effect this time off will have on a larger scale, don't you think that after people have had a few days off work and gone out shopping that they'll be more likely to spend more money over the coming weeks? Don't you think it's better to lose some money but increasing the flow of cash around the economy rather than leave it stagnant? Don't you think that businesses may have lost a day's work, but all it takes is for them to work a bit harder before those 8 working hours they've lost are recouped over the next month or even week?
I suppose its good that money was taken from the top and fed back to the small businesses at the bottom. But overall you have to admit its not a money gainer for the economy likes its been spun as. When you compound this with the authoritarian connotations and the ghastly reminder of what's left (and still exists) of a class system. and the insult of that we actually use capital on it while we take money from vital community centres in poorer parts of the country etc. Its just a bit... bad.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by isaqyi)
I'm not Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish. I am English and immensely proud of England.
I understand that. You're not from every part of the UK, you're only from England so that's the part you are proud of. But you're also not from every part of England so how come you're proud of it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads