The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Smeezington
F211 is 30%, F212 is 50% though

I know :s-smilie:..... but I just work really hard at F211 in the hope that somehow, some way, I can gain more marks/ UMS which might *slightly* lessen the blow of a bad F212, with a good QQE mark, I hope.
Original post by Groat
Since when could a topic not come up twice? I wouldn't just ignore the topic because it came up in January 2011. You'll be in for a shock.

I bet you that everything that came up in the january exam will not come up :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by yamamotootsu
I bet you that everything that came up in the january exam will not come up :smile:

Everything? If I remember rightly there has been a mitosis question for the past 4 papers. It doesn't seem like OCR care about putting the same stuff in twice.
Reply 63
Original post by abi.tanner
my tutor taught me look along the time and point out the beginning of the P wave and the beginning of the next P wave, and then divide 60 over that time length.

for example, if the length of time between each heart beat is 0.85 seconds you would do 60/0.85 = 70.588 so the heart rate (beats per minute) would be 70.588

or something like that...
this is so confusing, but i hope it helps.

remember you have to round it up so the answer would be 71.

you just look to see when the pattern starts to repeat itself.
the 60 divided by that time.
Reply 64
Original post by laureneb10
Anyone know why the heart contracts from the base of the heart upwards?
Seriously screwed!

Don't worry. you're not screwed. :smile:
Heart contracts from the base because of the electrical waves.
The SAN (sinoatrial node) initiates a wave of excitation at regular intervals. The reason why the heart contracts from the base is because there is a non conductive tissue in the atrium which cannot spread the wave so the wave has to go to the AVN (atriaventricular node) which is in the center of the heart. This pauses the wave of excitation. The wave goes down the purkyne tissue and allows the ventricles to contract...

hope that helped. It's easy really. I hate the word excitation. I don't know what it means. Try and learn the key words and you should be okay. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 65

its not safe to bed on anything.
revise everything!
rather be safe than sorry!
They always ask things differently or in a different context.
I bet there will be stuff on bohr shift even though there was that 6 mark fill in the gap question.
Reply 66
really don't want much stuff about plants to come up. find those questions so confusing.
any ideas' what kinds of things have not been asked so far? have revised it all, but won't hurt to target more time in certain areas

=/ scared

ps, not a resit candidate, our whole year had no january exams
Reply 68
I ****ing thought i did well in this exam in january, and then got a C.. so shows that if you don't know your stuff clinically you're gonna end up like me! and this time I have spent like 3 hours on revision and on here.. It's just luck on the day
Reply 69

If none of that stuff comes up again I'll be chuffed. That paper was hideous, I couldn't hate plants more if I tried.
Reply 70
if they were going to ask us stuff on microscopes, what do you think would come up?
Reply 71
I reckon a calculation and maybe a definition of magnification or resolution? :smile:
Has anyone sat down with the specification thing and the jan 11 paper to see what exactly wasnt in the paper so we know what to revise!??
ahhh hate resits.
was mass flow in Jan?? was cell signalling/recognition in it? i cannot do them to save my life.
what are technical questions about the heart??
xxxxxxxxx

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
Reply 73
Original post by sixthformer

Original post by sixthformer
any ideas' what kinds of things have not been asked so far? have revised it all, but won't hurt to target more time in certain areas

=/ scared

ps, not a resit candidate, our whole year had no january exams

not much on plants gonna come up probably.
Reply 74
Original post by rawr13
hey :smile: thats what i usually have difficulty with but ive sorta got better since i do physics and chem aswell.

basically i always convert into metres.

so micrometres= x10^-6 metres
and nanometres = x10-9 metres

i.e. trying to work out the magnification of something when the image size is 6.5cm and the actual size is 7micrometres.

magnification = image size/actual size

6.5cm/7micrometres = 0.065m/7x10^-6m = X9286

get what i mean? just memorize the conversion of micro and nanometres. then you should be fine. :smile:?

Yes :smile: thank you!!!
Plants will definitely come up most this time I believe. Even though it dominated the January 2011 paper, it requires a lot more knowledge than the heart section. OCR love putting out a challenge.
Reply 76
Hey, just found a batch of past papers relevant to the F211 specification. Here's the link: http://pastpapers.org/foundation-biology-papers Hope it's of help!
Reply 77
Just noted that a lot of the questions from this old syllabus have been put into the new syllabus F211 papers, sometimes with the exact same wording so it will really pay off to look through them!!
Reply 78
Can I just ask what the channel proteins and carrier proteins actually transport over the cell surface membrane, because the OCR textbook completely contradicts itself on this topic.
Reply 79
Original post by harmony.

Original post by harmony.
Can I just ask what the channel proteins and carrier proteins actually transport over the cell surface membrane, because the OCR textbook completely contradicts itself on this topic.

if you're using the ocr textbook. pg 23 bottom right theres a table.

channel proteins 'ions like sodium ions and calcium ions'

carrier proteins 'larger molecules like glucose and amino acids'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending