Who is your favourite sportsman and the best sportsman ever in your opinion? Watch

py0alb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
fravourite: Jari Litmanen - captain of finland, back in the day...
best: far to subject, but micheal felps gets a good mention, just for un-doubtably being the best swimmer in the world back in 2008, and achieving the highest number of gold medals at an olympic games
yes... but that only because of the utterly ludicrous number of medals available to swimmers. You don't see sprinters winning medals for being the quickest in a skipping or hopping race or some other ludicrously inefficient means of propulsion, so why should swimmers get extra medals for equally pointless strokes such as breaststoke and butterfly?

The entirity of the Olympic games should be replanned, and I should be in charge.
Alientrooper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sachin Tendulkar
Wisden did some investigation I read and they looked at the standard deviation (nerdy geek) of all the biggest sportsmen in history and found the little master, Sir Don Bradman and Pele were the 3 best I think. To put it into perspective of Sachin, Michael Jordan would have needed to averaged 45 points per game - he had 30.4. Plus hes the complete package of a non-cocky, family man who doesnt purposely get into the limelight, that's why I like him personally, same with Pele.
samiz20891
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Alientrooper)
Sachin Tendulkar
Wisden did some investigation I read and they looked at the standard deviation (nerdy geek) of all the biggest sportsmen in history and found the little master, Sir Don Bradman and Pele were the 3 best I think. To put it into perspective of Sachin, Michael Jordan would have needed to averaged 45 points per game - he had 30.4. Plus hes the complete package of a non-cocky, family man who doesnt purposely get into the limelight, that's why I like him personally, same with Pele.

Wikipedia says its Donald Bradman, Pele and then Ty Cobb not Sachin Tendulkar,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_...te-Cricinfo1-0. Go down to the botton with the tables.
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Favourite sportsman is probably Lev Yashin, being a goalkeeper myself.

As for best sportsman of all time, it's a very tough call, but I'll go with Phillippe Sella, the former France rugby centre, for his sheer ability and career longevity.

As an added bonus, I'll add a 'most talented career cut short early on by injury/death', which I would grant to Jochen Rindt or Miklos Feher.
spocckka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pierluigi Collina was brilliant.
samiz20891
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
Favourite sportsman is probably Lev Yashin, being a goalkeeper myself.

As for best sportsman of all time, it's a very tough call, but I'll go with Phillippe Sella, the former France rugby centre, for his sheer ability and career longevity.

As an added bonus, I'll add a 'most talented career cut short early on by injury/death', which I would grant to Jochen Rindt or Miklos Feher.
Great choice, for me the best keeper ever, better than Banks/ Shilton etc....

For the most talented career cut short I would add Duncan Edwards and a few other players who died in the Munich Air Disaster in 1958.
Alientrooper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by samiz20891)
Wikipedia says its Donald Bradman, Pele and then Ty Cobb not Sachin Tendulkar,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_...te-Cricinfo1-0. Go down to the botton with the tables.
Hmm interesting, I didnt read it on wiki, I read it on some other website I think. Plus even though he's played more games than bradman by far, he's been able to accumulate these runs through a period of over 20 years, which is rediculous as the cricketing calendar also has lots more matches than before so it is harder to be consistently good. He's also got a few test wickets (although not a lot) and has adapted to ODIs and T20s very easily. Just wish that bradman could've had the chance so we could've seen how good he was/not in these forms.
Lissy91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ryan Giggs!
TroyPimbley
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Favourite Sportsman: Jenson Button
Best Sportsman: Sir Bobby Charlton
jack66
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jonny Wilkinson!!!!!!
wsupden
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
bball - michael jordan was a monster,

boxing - mike tyson was a monster,

athletics - michael johnson was a beast,

swimming - phelps is an amazing athlete

football - messi is crazy, ball sticks to his feet, he is the best ever, fact.

cycling - armstrong for getting with the olsen twin,

tennis - roger of course, guy is leetsalad on grass,
Teofilo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Favourite: George Best.

Best: Ali.
(:Becca(:
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Favourite sportsman-Rafael Nadal, the things I would do to that man. :sexface:
Radant
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by (:Becca(:)
Favourite sportsman-Rafael Nadal, the things I would do to that man. :sexface:
That's a good reason to choose him...

(Original post by ShadowConspiracy)

Only the greatest player to ever kick a ball, always admired this guy, it's raw talent at it's best, As for ball control this guy won't be beaten in a long long time.
Currently the best sportsman for me, However Zinedine Zidane is a total legend in my eyes.
ShadowConspiracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Radant)

Currently the best sportsman for me, However Zinedine Zidane is a total legend in my eyes.
I lost respect for him after than head butt attack
Radant
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ShadowConspiracy)
I lost respect for him after than head butt attack
To be honest, heat of the moment I bet he regrets it so much... one of the saddest moments in football
plmqaz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
paul scholes
jack nicklaus
Zidane
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Zinedine zidane

zinedine zidane

zinedine zidane

zinedine zidane

zinedine zidane

zinedine zidane

zinedine zidane
i am god ovbz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's gotta be Daniel vettori the new zealand cricket skipper (it's cos he plays with his glasses on) Here he is for all of you that have never heard of him http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/RIrIX...Daniel+Vettori
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.67%
No - but I will (106)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.68%

Watched Threads