4 rejections 2 years running Watch

telephone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by RectalExamination)
Well there have been people who have gotten in on their third attempt, although I would not suggest that to you unless you are dead certain you want to do medicine and most importantly have what it takes. You have to be dead certain you do have the ability otherwise you will be risking another year. If you have strong enough foundation to your application (i.e. grades and some experience etc) then reapply if you want and build upon and strengthen your application, otherwise I wouldn't risk it again. Ask the universities for feedback, why do you think you haven't gotten in in there last two attempts? You could look at similar careers in biomedical sciences / research / radiology or similar courses that interest you with a possible view of applying ot medicine at a later date.

Sorry about how your application has gone, I feared the same, hopefully it pans out well for you in the end, Good luck.
What grades for example? Where did you apply this year?
Martial44
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by telephone)
What grades for example? Where did you apply this year?
Well Id guess next year most universities would be looking for AAA, so you'd need to have at least that I suppose, unless you are eligible for some of the foundation / 6 year courses on offer at some universities. I applied to Durham, Sheffield, UEA, Kings 6yr and biomed at St georges. I had offers at Durham and Kings and St G, rejections at the rest. Picked Kings because of locality and a variety of personal reasons.

It would help others here if you could detail your academics, UKCAT/BMAT and what experiences you have gotten, related and unrelated, to medicine.

As I have said, there are quite a number of people who get in the third time round, but thats no gaurantee, and I would definitely not recommend you reapply before you have had a serious self examination about whether you want to do medicine, whether you are cut out for it, what has been your pitfalls in the last two attempts and what you could do to improve your application and gain a place. You could also examine other options like going through the graduate entry route or maybe picking a healthcare related profession.

Good luck, It must be hard but you really do have to do a thorough examination on the whole situation so you know where you are going and it wouldn;t be fair on you to continue to no avail if medicine is not for you, I do not mean that in a rude way at all. If you have the dedication and ability to do medicine then you will eventually get in.
telephone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by RectalExamination)
Well Id guess next year most universities would be looking for AAA, so you'd need to have at least that I suppose, unless you are eligible for some of the foundation / 6 year courses on offer at some universities. I applied to Durham, Sheffield, UEA, Kings 6yr and biomed at St georges. I had offers at Durham and Kings and St G, rejections at the rest. Picked Kings because of locality and a variety of personal reasons.

It would help others here if you could detail your academics, UKCAT/BMAT and what experiences you have gotten, related and unrelated, to medicine.

As I have said, there are quite a number of people who get in the third time round, but thats no gaurantee, and I would definitely not recommend you reapply before you have had a serious self examination about whether you want to do medicine, whether you are cut out for it, what has been your pitfalls in the last two attempts and what you could do to improve your application and gain a place. You could also examine other options like going through the graduate entry route or maybe picking a healthcare related profession.

Good luck, It must be hard but you really do have to do a thorough examination on the whole situation so you know where you are going and it wouldn;t be fair on you to continue to no avail if medicine is not for you, I do not mean that in a rude way at all. If you have the dedication and ability to do medicine then you will eventually get in.
Here they are;

GCSEs 1A* 7A 2B

A-Level Predictions A*AA

This year I got 660 on UKCAT but am told it could well go down or up on a reapp so we'll have to wait and see for that one.

Work Exp: At the time of applying I had only shadowed in a hospital but I wrote in my ps that I had just started in a hospice for the elderly.

Extra Curriculars: sport, DofE

I feel it was my lack of work experience in a caring role that I'd done before applying and that shadowing isn't actually valued that much anymore. Do you think this was why or was it more likely my GCSEs that let me down?
Martial44
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by telephone)
Here they are;

GCSEs 1A* 7A 2B

A-Level Predictions A*AA

This year I got 660 on UKCAT but am told it could well go down or up on a reapp so we'll have to wait and see for that one.

Work Exp: At the time of applying I had only shadowed in a hospital but I wrote in my ps that I had just started in a hospice for the elderly.

Extra Curriculars: sport, DofE

I feel it was my lack of work experience in a caring role that I'd done before applying and that shadowing isn't actually valued that much anymore. Do you think this was why or was it more likely my GCSEs that let me down?

660 is quite a decent score, although if you improve it you will get a MUCH better chance, I had 640 last year and this year got 712.5, think it made a big difference, quite allot of people manage to get better scores the second time round, maybe because they actually do some relevant preparation before hand. You have good A level predictions, you utmost priority is now to achieve those grades which can be difficult when you know you won't be going to medical school in September, I had that issue last year but got over it, for the record I achieve AAAB. If you do achieve those grades then you could say you have a good foundation to your application, you would have to start to look at opportunities to strengthen your application during a gap year.

Of course shadowing is highly valued, its not as if they expect you to be practicing before you make it into medical school, its all about what you learn from it though, you cannot just write down or say you have done it, you have to show what you gained / learned out of it. If you do reapply you should look into getting more experience, maybe at a GP, they are slightly easier to get at a placement at, also volunteer at a hospital + hospice, but even volunteering at your school can add value to your application if you can say what you learned / gained out of it and how that links back to important attributes of a doctor that you have.

Your GCSEs aren't completely terrible but they are not that great either tbh, but its something that many universities don't look at too much as long as you have met the minimum requirements for GCSEs and got good A levels, like Durham interview applicants who are above the UKCAT cut off and met the minimum requirements. In reapplying it would also be important to be very wise and selective over your choices, find which universities you have a better chance at according to their admissions process.

I had the same feeling as you maybe last year, I felt a bit uneasy about reapplying in the fear of not getting in again, but it just came down to knuckling down and getting as much experience I could to support an application, definitely put allot of revision in for the UKCAT. As a doctor you will have to deal with uncertainty anyway, and if you are dedicated enough to do medicine then you will probably reapply. You can do allot over the summer and the beginning of your gap year, you can get some experience at local GPs, you can do allot of volunteering, you can apply for work as a healthcare assistant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.34%
No - but I will (9)
4.27%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.76%

Watched Threads