44.7%
No, what a dick! (73)
55.3%
Orwell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you take the book you are not a good person, even if you somehow seek to justify it from the whole £6 business.

Utilitarianism, Kantian Ethics, Situation Ethics and Virtue Ethics backs me up.
razzler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Photocopy it and then give it back. you won't feel guilty and you an read it as much as you want.
italienmoose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Deontology and utilitarianism both say no...
TheFlyingDutchman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
I currently have a book from my local county library that I really like. It's rare, it's the only copy at the library, it's taken me two years on the waiting list to get it and it's out of print now - I can't buy it anywhere for less than a ridiculous sum of money.

If you lose a book, the county library service charge you the RRP that's printed on the book. The RRP on this book if £5.99. I'm considering saying that I've lost it, paying the £6 and getting to keep this amazing, rare book. Should I or not?
Surely you can't be the only person on the waiting list to of thought about doing this ? You sure they don't have some other way of dealing with it ? They may require you to file some sort of report.

I would do it tbh because you clearly seem amazed by it and it's something you clearly want. I would be surprised if they just allowed you to get away with paying £6 for it though. Seems too easy to me especially if what people are saying about it being worth $730.
Cypriots
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Keep the book.
Or better, find a E-copy of the book online. (if there is one)
SpriteOrSevenUp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Bloody hell a Google gave the price of $730 :eek: keep it, pay the 6 pund and be done with it... then sell it for profit :cool:
HOLY SH**. I just googled it as well and that price came up on Amazon too.

Hahahahaha wow. Imagine if the OP is forced to pay $730 so that they can repurchase the book LOL total fail.
Pn94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I doubt they'd actually let you get away with paying a fiver.
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Buy it off of the library, sell it on Amazon, make a large profit
EyesForEyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Read it first, and if you REALLY love it that much, just photocopy as much as you can be bothered with.
Deciding to return it, in the end, should make you feel like you're sharing these wonderful words (if they are) with other people.
After all - it's the words that count... And if you'd rather deprive other people of the book than have your own "copy" but not a full/proper one, then you probably don't deserve it for what it's worth...
Stargazer23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Surely they know how rare it is, there'd be no way you could just pay £5.99 and walk away..
Jaqera
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To the OP:

You are a major ***** even if you do not take it as you considered stealing it.

What you are doing is vert childish and I pity you.
Slumpy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just don't know how I'm going to live my life without it.
Surely it's not that good? It's not in any special category in my library and isn't even on loan.
thewiseone
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not religious, so don't care. :p:
I am going to show the librarian this thread and then have you arrested for theft.
Pink Bullets
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is the same person who once made a thread claiming that she reports people who have 13 items in the "12 items or less" queue at the supermarket because breaking rules is very, very wrong.

Ummmm wut.
searchingshadow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cinnamon_Twist)
Is it by Michel Serres? Because the 1995 hardback copy is retailing at $730 on Amazon. And that's a used copy! I say keep it!
lol, scan all the pages and give it back. pillock.
searchingshadow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
but $730 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/History-Scient.../dp/0631177396
... my word ... can see why you raised the dilemma.
Golly-Gosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
did you try to find out if other libraries in the area or the city has that same book?

im gona say don't lie about a book. thats just silly and unfair, not to mention is wrong.

just give back the book after you read it, and try finding it else where.
Jellybean91
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But surely you'll feel so guilty that you've waited 2 years for this book and other people who thought it was nearly theirs now can't read it! you've read it, maybe read it a few times and savour it, but everyone else should get a chance to read it! I bet there were people in the queue before you who wanted to do what you're thinking about, and if they had, you'd not even have got to read it in the first place!
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what an indictment of the youth of this country where their standards have dropped so far that they think considering theft to be "a moral dilemma."
It isn't.
kuroshokora
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dude, if you can get away with it, do it. The opportunity to acquire an incredibly rare book that will give you a lot of pleasure for a very low price? I'd do it. It isn't theft if you pay what they ask as compensation, and if that's only six quid, then go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads