All black suit with white tie OR black suit, white shirt an black tie? For Prom! Watch

Onwards and Upwards!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by planet)
Graduation Prom soon- thinking to buy a slim fit suit

should I go for:

1.) a black suit, black shirt, black shoes and white tie

OR

2.) a black suit, white shirt, black shoes and black tie

OR

3.) Grey suit, white shirt, black shoes and black tie - currently my favourite!

Any suggestions please. [pics below of the ones i mean !]

1.)

2.)

3.)
Number 3, wear a gangster/suit type hat with it too. Really completes the look for prom...
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chr0n)
Yes, as stated above, if you don't own a tux, you should just wear plain navy suit and a tie (personally I don't like a bow tie with a suit).

A black suit IMO doesn't make much sense. You will only be able to wear it to prom (shouldn't there -> tux) or to funerals. Blue however, is much more versatile.
I think black suits can be worn anywhere with a brighter shirt and tie. Maybe i'm just terrible at fashion though :dontknow:

And i think a bow tie would look odd with a non-black suit, yes. A plain black suit though - i doubt many people will notice its not a tux.
LeeLee---x
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I vote for 3
Camilla-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1.) a black suit, black shirt, black shoes and white tie = Looks cheap and tacky.

2.) a black suit, white shirt, black shoes and black tie = Perfect.
Chr0n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I think black suits can be worn anywhere with a brighter shirt and tie. Maybe i'm just terrible at fashion though :dontknow:
Black suits say funeral. But you are right, they ARE worn everywhere.
Alan Flusser's "Dressing the Man - Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion" is a great read on the topic.
"Off the Cuff" by Carson Kressley is more usable in everyday life though (as it is not only focusing on Business and Business Casual).

(Original post by nexttime)
And i think a bow tie would look odd with a non-black suit, yes. A plain black suit though - i doubt many people will notice its not a tux.
I agree, most won't notice... But, did Shakespeare intend to please the backer?
Limitless
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
3. Leave the waistcoat.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rmanoj)
Why only those three options? #3 is probably the best if you're going to restrict it to them, although I'd skip the waistcoat (they should properly be worn with high-rise trousers).

However, I'd say the ideal thing to wear would be black tie (check here for details). But if you don't want to spend money on a dinner jacket that you won't have many opportunities to wear, fair enough. In that case, I would recommend a dark suit, either navy blue (I prefer this option) or charcoal grey (darker than your #3, but not quite black). Combine that with a white, double-cuff shirt, a classic tie (I quite like the idea of a Macclesfield or Wedding tie for this sort of thing, but if not, solid navy or navy with white pin dots, or indeed many other options, will work well) and well-polished black Oxford shoes.
This man speaks absolute gospel. Him and paddy are my TSR fashion gurus.

Hire a dinner jacket, make sure it has pointed/shawl lapels, and for goodness' sake get a black bow tie, a black cummerbund and a shirt with a turndown collar. I might seem boring by being by-the-book conformist but I could add that I hate wing collars in the general sense, so let's hope I never get invited to a white tie event lest I explode. You'll still look the part in any case.
JK471993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never one, sometimes two, always free
heartimplode
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Number 3! Phhhhoar, that'd look great.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (263)
39.08%
No - but I will (46)
6.84%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
46.66%

Watched Threads