It's ok for USA to do anything, right? Watch

Dirac Delta Function
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, but it's ok for them to kill bin Laden.
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree with you OP. My first reaction was 'What happened to innocent until proven guilty? What happened to fair trials? What happened to human rights?'

I don't agree with what he is alleged to have do BUT he deserved a fair trial. If the US wanted him alive they would have gone with tranquiliser darts and only used guns to prevent escape of the alleged criminal. They knew he would try to escape or shoot them. He's been evading capture and trial. Claiming they wanted to take him alive isn't enough. They didn't put the plans in place.

Even if he was put on trial and found guilty he shouldn't have been killed, or tortured. He would have needed to be kept in a high-security cell as he would have been a dangerous criminal. But I believe no-one should be executed - no matter what they've done.
Kreuzuerk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lol at naive fourteen yr old girls suggesting the use of tranquiliser darts in a war zone. what a suggestion, have they never played COD
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
However much I'm inclined to agree, the guy spent the later part of his life admitting that he and his organisation were responsible for the killings of thousands of people. If somebody tells you they've killed say 3000 people, do you really need a trial to ask for a guilty/not-guilty plea for the same crime? It seems like bureaucratic nonsense.

Having said that, the operation's aim will have been to capture UBL, and as you can imagine, he'd do what he can for this not to happen, which led to his killing. Some guy points an AK-47 at you, you have a gun, you'd probably shoot him.

It's worth noting that Pakistan's ISI were present during the operation, so it's not like the country wasn't involved, and if say the UK was housing a world renown terrorist, I'm sure there would be any more hesitation in doing the same thing.
rei dos reis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Omdz we killed osama he was living with the pakistani millitary let's bomb them and take their oil hurr durr **** yeah america
Abbadon27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Normally I would agree, but c'mon, it was Osama Bin Laden!
pitchayak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
Wrong. Who do they think they are just assassinating Osama Bin Laden? It's completely against human rights. Yes, he may be a bad person, but America is not the world's police who can go around bringing THEIR 'justice' to whomever they want. Even he has a right to a trial, just as much as a Nobel Prize winner does.
but he DID engage in a firefight. they might not have killed him if he hadn't. but hasn't he said before he would never be taken by the infidels or whatever? that he'd rather go down fighting. otherwise he could have been given a tiral.

and the United States has been acting as the world's police for the past century or so, for their own reasons i guess. haha thats not changing anytime soon.

EDIT: not that i agree with the role the US is playing. it defo has its pluses, but can also annoys the **** out of me sometimes.
RabbitCFH
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you kill 3,000 people, don't expect to get a trial. You deserve to die and that's what you're gonna get.

If they captured him alive to put him on trial, they'd risk kidnappings from Al Qaeda.

When I see his face and now know that he's dead, I'm happy. It's been a good day.

It does not mean that some American interventions and assassinations, e.g. in Latin America were not crimes. But dead Osama is a good Osama.
The Premier
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"So next time someone shoots someone, we'll just shoot him too"

To be fair that is what they do in America.
The USA may not be perfect, but I'm glad it is there protecting the world...
You may disagree but the world is much safer since they have taken a title of world police - there are significantly less wars and the wars are much less damaging.
Following the First Gulf war no other dictator has invaded another for territorial gains.
So maybe the ends will [and have] jusitified the means
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Please do find me the "lol ignore all of this in event of war" clause in the list of human rights.
It doesn't say it anywhere, because military combatants are not covered by the UN declaration on Human Rights. And since assassinations (which is doubtful in this case, more likely a capture attempt gone wrong) of military combatants are not outlawed by any treaty that govern the rules of war, Bin Laden's killing doesn't breach a damn thing. Unless you are seriously trying to arguing that he is a civilian, at which point I call the men in white coats to take you away...
JWH
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
America can't do anything they want as if they could they would have done the world a favour by now and Carpet Bomb Justin Bieber.

Well to America it was Osama, capturing him would have been much more difficult than killing him meaning there could have potentially been causalities. Plus whoever was holding Osama would then become a major target for Osama's forces meaning once again a chance of high causalities. He was a major target so I understand why they killed him.
big-boss-91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, he's a bad person. But America has killed far more than 3000+ innocent people on several occasions (see my video above). You may say that "well, USA killed Osama in a war/for justice", but the same holds for their side, right? Osama and co are killing in the name of war and THEIR justice as well. Why is American justice the RIGHT one? Why does America police the world? It's not even the point though - the point is human rights.
america fights for freedom and human rights, osama fights for Allah and islamic rights.

which rights is the right one? its obviously the americans version. Osama killed 3000+ people for the wrong reason!
Sombrero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wrong. Who do they think they are just assassinating Osama Bin Laden? It's completely against human rights. Yes, he may be a bad person, but America is not the world's police who can go around bringing THEIR 'justice' to whomever they want. Even he has a right to a trial, just as much as a Nobel Prize winner does.

Just sayin'

Human rights: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml

*Edit 2*

I've been using TSR since 2006, I don't care about your negs. What I would care about is if you'd take a few mins to read the posts in this thread first and then post your thoughts so we can have a discussion.

*Edit*

Also, while I'm here, although really I'm not very anti-American, I think everyone needs to watch this:

Don't tell me you actually condemn the killing of a terrorist? :X

No one has the right to kill but who follows the norms?
When someone tries to harm you, you retaliate. Everyone's not a saint.The world has had enough of this man.
You wouldn't be talking like this if you lost a loved one to some bullcrap terrorist attack. -.-
Enoch.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
x
I actually agree with you. Its like Gaddafi's position; Nato is obviously trying to kill him, but there was no court order or anything, and international law does not allow troops to especifically target someone, hence why Russia and China are against Nato's interference :sadnod:
Jtking3000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As much as people will think i'm some kind of nutjob, i honestly don't believe that people there are rights that everyone has written in stone. By killing osama bin laden we protect the rights of ordinary innocent citizens which is a much more worthy cause.
wildrover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why should the US tax payer fund all his trials and re-trials only for him to be sentenced to death anyway when he has contributed nothing to their system, it would have cost millions on security to hold hom yet there are people who are being made redundant due to the cuts.
Anita B. Studin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course it's not okay.

But it's America and no one is powerful enough to stop them.

(The guy was a ***** though)
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The thing is though, the end result would be the same, after his trials he would be exectued. In that time there could/(probably would) have been numerous kidnappings etc. all in an attempt to free him. Also surely it would be a massive risk to the soldiers to get him back to the US alive.

No killing him there and then probably wasn't ideal, but I suppose it was arguably the lessar evil in this case.
PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by God_X)
It's God's will that Osama Bin Laden was killed; He is just and will punish him for his sins.
f it's God's will that Osama was killed, was 9/11, God's will? Is homosexuality God's will?
Rishz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Am I the only one who feels a little sorry for him?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads