Guy I like said I don't meet his 'high standards'! Watch

malaikah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope. It'd be different if she'd asked, but she didn't. He said out of nowhere!
Your New Shoes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
erm "treat 'em mean to keep them keen"?

He sounds like a prick tbh, forget him.
Bella Occhi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm 5'2 and I've never been bullied for my height, you must have just gone to school with a lot of tall freaks :p: If he has 'high standards' then that's his problem, not yours - you can do better.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by katy_j87)
Hey everyone,

I'm feeling a bit upset at the moment because of something a guy I like said the other night. I'll give you some background - have known the guy about 3 years since I started uni but we haven't spoken in a while. I've always had a bit of a crush on him. I'm 23, 5'2 and slim. I've been told by people that I'm pretty and I have a nice personality.

We were talking on Facebook chat the other night and he said he'd been looking through my pictures then asked how tall I am. I told him (5'2) and out of nowhere he said "well I doubt I could ever go out with you! I'm nearly 6 foot and I have standards that you're too short to meet."

I was quite shocked as this came out of the blue - we were just having a normal conversation and I hadn't even suggested I wanted to go out with him! Also he should know my height as we've met in person loads of times so I don't know why he's asking about it now.

It's made me feel a bit upset as I was bullied for my height at school by other girls but accepted it when I got older. It's something I can't change and it's not like I'm a midget lol. My ex-boyfriends have all been quite tall so I've never thought it an issue until now as I used to think I looked fine with my height and weight.

I guess it's made me feel a bit insecure as I used to want to be taller and it's like he's said I'm not good enough for him. He has been single for the 3 years I've known him though and has discussed with me in the past that he has very high standards with girls. I'm thinking of not speaking to him again, as I don't want to speak to people who make me feel bad about myself.

Edit: It's definitely not a joke as he's discussed this with me before and says he doesn't like being single but he find it difficult with girls because of his high standards and this has caused him to not have proper relationships. He's quite serious, not the type to joke like that
He sounds like a prize prat. You should either say something curt back or just plain ignore him. I'm glad you haven't asked him out or made it explicit that you fancy him otherwise I'd be even more angry. I'm not surprised he hasn't had a girlfriend for 3 years. You can do better
_Gizmo_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hahaha OP, sounds like a player, a guy with game ................... he said this to you and its driving you crazy .......... you want him more and more ................... you'll be putty in his hands soon enough.

Sorry, but your a silly little girl.
Mopl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey everyone,

I'm feeling a bit upset at the moment because of something a guy I like said the other night. I'll give you some background - have known the guy about 3 years since I started uni but we haven't spoken in a while. I've always had a bit of a crush on him. I'm 23, 5'2 and slim. I've been told by people that I'm pretty and I have a nice personality.

We were talking on Facebook chat the other night and he said he'd been looking through my pictures then asked how tall I am. I told him (5'2) and out of nowhere he said "well I doubt I could ever go out with you! I'm nearly 6 foot and I have standards that you're too short to meet."

I was quite shocked as this came out of the blue - we were just having a normal conversation and I hadn't even suggested I wanted to go out with him! Also he should know my height as we've met in person loads of times so I don't know why he's asking about it now.

It's made me feel a bit upset as I was bullied for my height at school by other girls but accepted it when I got older. It's something I can't change and it's not like I'm a midget lol. My ex-boyfriends have all been quite tall so I've never thought it an issue until now as I used to think I looked fine with my height and weight.

I guess it's made me feel a bit insecure as I used to want to be taller and it's like he's said I'm not good enough for him. He has been single for the 3 years I've known him though and has discussed with me in the past that he has very high standards with girls. I'm thinking of not speaking to him again, as I don't want to speak to people who make me feel bad about myself.

Edit: It's definitely not a joke as he's discussed this with me before and says he doesn't like being single but he find it difficult with girls because of his high standards and this has caused him to not have proper relationships. He's quite serious, not the type to joke like that
Awesome. This is just great. I LOVE it when women get to taste their own medicine. It happens so rarely.
You're a heightist yourself (as evident by the height of your ex-boyfriends), so now you know how it feels.
I sincerely hope that many other guys will keep on rejecting you in the future, and base their decision solely on your height
Mopl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by daedalos)
If the female says the male is too short the male should be ashamed. If the male says this he's a jerk. Lol.
(Original post by JME10)
This. Why is it 'acceptable' for most women to be so judgemental on height and not be called out for it but when the odd guy does it, he's apparently the biggest waste of space. Hypocrisy methinks, especially from the women.
Spot on. Women are the biggest hypocrites.

Did you guys notice how no women replied to your posts? They KNOW that they're nothing but a bunch of shallow hypocrites, and that you are right, so that's why they ignored your posts.
Gandalf_is_a_girl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jesus wept. Look who's here again.

Isn't it past your bedtime? :facepalm2:
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey everyone,

There is a reason he's been single for 3 years. He's obviously aiming too high for himself and hasn't succeeding in getting a girl meeting his 'standards'. You can do so much better! The average height for women is something like 5'4" anyway, you're not that short, don't let it get you down
katy_j87
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Mopl)
Awesome. This is just great. I LOVE it when women get to taste their own medicine. It happens so rarely.
You're a heightist yourself (as evident by the height of your ex-boyfriends), so now you know how it feels.
I sincerely hope that many other guys will keep on rejecting you in the future, and base their decision solely on your height
Bit sad that you that you 'LOVE IT' when guys say things to women that make them feel insecure. Nice that you get pleasure in that, you're bitter from past experience obviously. And I am not a 'heightist', I have been friends with exes first and it developed from there. If they'd been shorter that wouldn't have made a difference. You should really have learnt by now not to make assumptions about people you've never met. :rolleyes:
Post Apocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If this were a male being rejected for his height, the thread would be full of people insulting HIM and telling him to get over it, criticising him for daring to feel sad about it and people making height related puns.

However, a female was rejected and... everyone is still criticising the guy.
LittleRed
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OP, I will just say this: I am 5ft. My boyfriend is 6ft 1....
Yes, it does come with its practical issues, but not enough to stop a relationship.

On the other hand, I don't think I'm that sure that he isn't just joking. To me it seems like he wanted you to protest to the comment, a bit of teasing or something. He obviously thinks you're attractive as he admitted going through your pictures and asked how tall you were, with you both knowing that he already has an idea of that. I'm wondering if he maybe wanted to see you challenge him. So I wouldn't just refuse to speak to him again, rather, I'd have your own fun and games out of it too. Don't make yourself look vulnerable, and don't be a *****, but make it into a situation that suits you.
suni
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds like a joke to me, even a flirty one. Did you ask him about it? And don't worry I'm pushing 6ft and no way will I reject someone because of height- small people can have the biggest hearts, cheesy I know but my best friend is 5'3 and is lovely
Bahl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Post Apocalypse)
If this were a male being rejected for his height, the thread would be full of people insulting HIM and telling him to get over it, criticising him for daring to feel sad about it and people making height related puns.

However, a female was rejected and... everyone is still criticising the guy.
100% true. It's just another proof of how hypocritical women are.
They think it's alright to abuse and discriminate men, but as soon as guy just criticizes a female, they go crazy and all hell breaks loose.
KC626
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bahl)
100% true. It's just another proof of how hypocritical women are.
They think it's alright to abuse and discriminate men, but as soon as guy just criticizes a female, they go crazy and all hell breaks loose.
I certainly don't think it's okay to abuse/criticize men. It's definitely not a practice I engage in, and I'd hope that the majority of women are with me on that one.
Bahl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KC626)
I certainly don't think it's okay to abuse/criticize men. It's definitely not a practice I engage in, and I'd hope that the majority of women are with me on that one.
Sadly most do like abusing and discriminating men. Hell, even on this forum you will see the females doing those things. It's gross and so is their hypocrisy.

I have no doubt that if a female had created this thread, then none of the other females in here would have even thought about saying anything negative to her.
Journeyzap
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh well, screw him!
I'm 5'2 and I would actually like to be shorter. That said, it is a great height to be and nothing wrong with it.

If he can't look past the HEIGHT of someone, he certainly isn't worth it and he's just setting himself up for more failed relationships, so all the crap is going to reach him, not you, as not only does he have very unlikely standards but also appears to be quite rude, which won't help him much with girls which might meet his standards.

You keep on being happy, and ignore him! ^^
Bibushka
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
High standards? Ha....leave him,he isn't the one for you.
estefan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There´s a good possiblity of misunderstanging in online chatting. Studies have shown that only about 10 % of information is passed on verbally, other 90% with tone of voice, bodylanguage, facial expressions etc... ´The risk of miscommunication is very high when you cant use nonverbal communication aspects
on other subject, I have recently discovered height is not something you "can´t control" there are thousands of people getting actual results with height gaining methods
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'd say give him the boot. Because if a guy can say something so hurtful to you then obviously he is going to objectify you and is not going to treat you right; as according to him you are not up to his standards. As you stated earlier, people have said that you are pretty... If he can't see that, this great and beautiful flower blossoming at his feet then, truly he doesn't deserve you. My advice is, just hang in there and there will soon come a guy who would turn a blind eye to all those uneccessary aspects about you and love you for who you are.
lol its a bit late for her to give him the boot m8

I'd suggest you're a bit too oversensitive and you need to grow up OP, I find it hard to believe you're 23
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.2%
No - but I will (80)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (498)
48.12%

Watched Threads