Why does Anti-semitism exist? Watch

ragnar_jonsson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What an inane question. Why does homophobia exist? Racism? Sexism? Ableism? Let's not portray some picture of anti-semitism as being insular as a phenomenon. Major groups tend to like marginalizing minor groups.
CODKING
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UniOfLife)
Given that I am, by every conceivable definition, a "real Jew" I can tell you that you're wrong.
So I can become a jew? Like Kennedy became a doughnut?
CODKING
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bakmouth)
Anti-seimitism is like Islamaphobia - a term invented to deflect any sort of criticism.

No such term exists for Christians. Perhaps we need one?
How about Catholicism?
IPlayThePiccolo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know the Jews were vying for Barrabus to be freed, but didn't Pilate play a fairly large part in the death of Jesus Christ as well? I know Jesus was meant to die all along but Pilate could've been like 'No leave Jesus alone!'
McCoy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think a lot of people here are over-simplifying things.

In a pre-GCSE History class, we once had to order a whole load of anti-semitic myths and decide how important they are/were in contributing to antisemitism in modern times. I remember one commonly-held myth - that Jews would kidnap and torture Christian children on Passover. Antisemitism has existed throughout history and thus is not entirely related to modern issues in Israel or the wealth of some Jews (think about it: the reason Jewish people are associated with finances is because they were banned from most other professions and thus had to become moneylenders etc - the image of the wealthy Jew is an effect, and not only a cause, of antisemitism).
Of course the influence of certain factors on antisemitism will change over time, but today's antisemitism is probably largely influenced by historical antisemitism - it's easy to find new reasons for loathing a group when that group has already been singled-out for criticism and you have been brought up in an environment which has an emotional reaction against that group. The point is, is that we can't come up with one argument about why antisemitism exists. If we trace it back to its origins, it's probably largely to do with religious division and the position of Jews as a minority within most societies. That antisemitism continues to exist is probably because it already did - people grow-up with it and base their opinions around it. Antisemitism is different from anti-zionism - anti-zionism can be rational and logical, a response to one issue, whereas antisemitism sees a whole group of people as bad simply because they belong to said group.

(Please note that I'm not saying that other groups have it any easier!!)
McCoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dioscuri)
Jewishness is racial, you cannot convert your race. One may decide to convert to the Jewish religion, but ask pretty much any real Jew and they would say that a convert is not Jewish in any meaningful sense. That is why there are many atheistic jews - the jewishness is racial.
Different people define what it means to be Jewish differently, but certainly, most people agree you can identify as a Jew either religiously or racially or both.

Anybody who chooses to do so can convert to Judaism. They probably then wouldn't be ethnically Jewish, but would certainly be Jewish.
humanrights
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
in islam jesus is a revered prophet. in judaism jesus is condemned to boil forever in excrement and seamen.

jewish anti gentile racism and their pathological christ hate has played a big part in the historical animosity towards jews.

jews have been booted out of dozens and dozens of countries down the centuries. christian and muslim. so clearly they are doing something to annoy people.
flubadiblam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jimbo1234)
Jealousy

Think about it. You have an insular group of people who are normally very successful. They are pretty much setting themselves up to be hated by the non-successful moronic majority that is the world.
This, there is your answer OP, although i think it maybe exclusive to this guy in this case.

Nah i think its to do with them being so closed off and kind of, keep away from the rest of the world, i guess some might see this as condescending/pompous.
OdinsThunder
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by flubadiblam)
This, there is your answer OP, although i think it maybe exclusive to this guy in this case.

Nah i think its to do with them being so closed off and kind of, keep away from the rest of the world, i guess some might see this as condescending/pompous.
So it's ok for them to tamper, manipulate and conduct devious acts behind the scenes in a society which invited them to live in the first place.

It was the Zionists who opened the floodgates of the third world into White/Western nations, while their intellectual sects create bogus ideologies designed to stamp out any opposition.

In complete and utter hypocrisy they promote multiculturalim and mass immigration from the third world which will ultimately end in the destruction of Western civilisation and its peoples, while in Israel they discourage Arab men from mingling with Jewish girls because they wish to perserve their bloodline and heritage.
Implo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because the world is full of idiots.
Rivaldo_23
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Antiseminitsm is pure racism.It is the same like you say you son't like blacks or yellows etc..Every coutnry and nation has good and bad people..Humanity suffered a lot because of Hitler and the Nazis..
Koobideh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anti-semitism exists because Jews are different. People hate minority groups that are different, especially back in the day when most people were uneducated. It isn't something exclusive to Jews because most minority ethnic and religious groups in Europe and North America have been the target of hatred.

Some people bring up the Jews success as the reason why antisemitism existed, but I think that is a false argument. They would have gone through the same experience even if they were not successful, e.g. look at the way gypsies, blacks and other minorities have been discriminated against in Europe even though they are poor.

And why is it that Jews were only discriminated and hated to such an extent in Europe? Why was such extreme hatred not present in Africa, Middle East, Central Asia and India despite the Jews being just as successful in those parts of the world? I'm not arguing they were never persecuted in these countries, but there has never been sysematic attempts to exterminate Jews in these countries and their experiences in these countries were not even comparable to Europe. Why is it that there are many successful minority groups in countries like India such as the Parsi (Iranian) Zoroastrians and Jains yet nobody went around massacring them?
itzme
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mevidek)
I can't find a single reason why so many people hate Jews.

Why do you people think people hate Judaism?

stop pretending that Jews are the victims and they're hated all over the world. It's pure fabrication for propaganda purposes. LIES, LIES to make sure that when we talk about the Palestinians, the subject changes to consider their past suffering.

I don't hate Jews, I like Finkelstein and others who speak the truth. I hate those who use emotional blackmail to divert attention from what Israel is doing to the Palestinians.
x_Natalie_x
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know why it exists, but I blame the Jews.
jimi191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by itzme)
stop pretending that Jews are the victims and they're hated all over the world. It's pure fabrication for propaganda purposes. LIES, LIES to make sure that when we talk about the Palestinians, the subject changes to consider their past suffering.

I don't hate Jews, I like Finkelstein and others who speak the truth. I hate those who use emotional blackmail to divert attention from what Israel is doing to the Palestinians.
i represent the lollypop guild, and we want YOU! :congrats:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise