Higher English Exam 2011 Coming Up!! Watch

skinidin
Badges: 0
Report 7 years ago
Poems - Carrion Comfort, The Windhover, Pied Beauty -Gerard Manley Hopkins, Early Purges - Heaney

Drama - Romeo and Juliet

Fallback - The Telegram - Ian Crichton Smith

I am really feeling sick now
chr1stopher11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by skinidin)
I'm doing the telegram too. Its a good one to talk about structure as there is notable anti-climax, sentence structure and the build up of tension through structure. But yeah, it is my fall back option too

Good luck
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Poem: The Almond Tree
Novel: The Cone-Gatherers
Play: All My Sons

For my first prelim I got:

27/50 Close Reading
11/25 Essay on The Almond Tree
11/25 Essay on All My Sons

For the supplementary prelim we did just recently:

36/50 Close Reading
23/25 Essay on the Cone Gatherers
21/25 Essay on All My Sons.

Handed in an essay last week that I got back on Friday too...teacher gave it 25/25

I'm actually starting to feel more confident about this exam!!
skinidin
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chr1stopher11)
I'm doing the telegram too. Its a good one to talk about structure as there is notable anti-climax, sentence structure and the build up of tension through structure. But yeah, it is my fall back option too

Good luck
Thing is - I really adore Hopkins and his poetry is difficult yet easy to write about because he uses so many techniques and weird language devices. So I'll stick with him.

I thought I knew it off by heart - probably I still do - but suddenly I feel as if I can't do it anymore
chr1stopher11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mckinnon94)
Holy crap! 25/25! The highest I've ever got was a 17!
chr1stopher11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thing is - I really adore Hopkins and his poetry is difficult yet easy to write about because he uses so many techniques and weird language devices. So I'll stick with him.

I thought I knew it off by heart - probably I still do - but suddenly I feel as if I can't do it anymore
It must be exam nerves. I'm sticking to the Crucible - play - and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - novel. I also did some poetry, Iolaire and Old Woman, both Iain Crichton Smith. I'd only do poetry if I had to really.
skinidin
Report 7 years ago
It might be exam nerves or it might be the fact that I got someone else to mark my essays

I was worried that my teacher was too generous because I had got 25/25 a few times. So I got another teacher to mark them. She gave me 23/25 but said I could fail because I had left out (1) apostrophe. (!) Apparently you can get a technical fail on this

now I've lost all confidence.

Also, she did not like my use of the term 'persona' for the poet's voice - but I've been taught to use this and feel comfortable with it.

Any thoughts? I would be grateful to hear what others think.
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chr1stopher11)
Holy crap! 25/25! The highest I've ever got was a 17!
He did say it was on the fence between 23 and 25 and that he only picked 25 because of the language I used and that it made him like the essay. Our teacher always stresses to try to impress the examiner and to never annoy them, to get the marker on your side :P

I'm hoping I can pump out two 21s in my exam, that'll make getting the A so much easier!
_Stephieee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Martyna156)
I'm worried, as I noticed that there aren't many questions for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. This is bad. and what if there isn't going to be a question on neither a poem ot the novel that I've done? I will end up with one essay on Streetcar. This is not good :O

yeah, I'm panicking already.
I am in the exact same position with the regards to The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, and my teacher has only covered two texts with us so I have no option but to write about it. I'm already incredibly nervous about how much I'm going to have to try and 'fit' a question round the book :O
skinidin
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by _Stephieee)
I am in the exact same position with the regards to The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, and my teacher has only covered two texts with us so I have no option but to write about it. I'm already incredibly nervous about how much I'm going to have to try and 'fit' a question round the book :O
See - that's exactly how I felt about 3 months ago. I felt she hadn't covered enough texts.

Romeo and Juliet is fine - there will always be a question(s) that fit a Shakespearian tragedy - but I felt that the Heaney and Lochhead stuff was all too much in the same cabbage patch - childhood experience etc etc.
(I mean of the poems we studied).
So I went for Hopkins, who I have loved for a long time. My teacher wasn't keen on this, but when I showed her a couple of essays I'd written she changed her mind.

However I have now lost all my faith in her as previously mentioned.
peanutbutterlove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
Well you can't be failing till you sit the exam You'll be fine, just ensure that you know your themes inside out, to get round the SQA's awkward tasks
true... but then again i did get 27/100 for the second pre-lim (5 for essays, and 22 for close reading) so it's not looking promising for me - mind you that was an improvement (surprisingly) on the first pre-lim. also, i haven't studied at all the whole year so there's a good chance of failure. but thanks
Quick-use
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

My Drama text is A View from the Bridge by Arthur Miller.
The novel we studied for Prose is The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins.
And, for Poetry we did Daddy and Lady Lazarus by Sylvia Plath.

I'm hoping to use The Cone-Gatherers and possibly Lady Lazarus in the exam; but it seems that there are usually about two or three Drama questions which fit my text, and only one for our novel and about two for Poetry. My Drama text is definitely acting as my back-up: I find that the themes and the messages of the text are difficult to talk about and somewhat dull.

I usually average around 21s or 19s for my essays, so I'm relying on that aspect, to say the least. Where close reading is concerned, I score from 36 to 23 depending on whether I hold interest in the concern: why did I have to be so picky?
LonelySoul193
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did the 2008 close reading past paper - managed to get 44/50 :O Though no doubt I'll have marked it biasly or something -_-
Serendipitous
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OddThings)
.Does anyone know how much the folio affects your overall grade? My teacher told me my essays were really good..but how will that affect my grade?
The folio is worth 20% overall, so that's 10% per essay. So it probably won't do much, but it could push you from, say, a high B to a low A.

The SQA has an estimate calculator here that might help you:
http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/46172.html
chr1stopher11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mckinnon94)
He did say it was on the fence between 23 and 25 and that he only picked 25 because of the language I used and that it made him like the essay. Our teacher always stresses to try to impress the examiner and to never annoy them, to get the marker on your side :P

I'm hoping I can pump out two 21s in my exam, that'll make getting the A so much easier!
That's still amazing. I could only dream of getting that mark... I'm banking on close reading to get me an A. I can get about 35-40 for it, but for my essays its usually 30-32. And my teacher said my folio should get 38, so if everything goes well and the grade boundaries are kept low then I'm hopeful for an A. Although, I'd still be very happy with a B.
alasdair1993
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Poems - Carrion Comfort, The Windhover, Pied Beauty -Gerard Manley Hopkins, Early Purges - Heaney

Drama - Romeo and Juliet

I am really feeling sick now
I did Romeo and Juliet last year and I can tell you that every year you can write something about it. I think I could have done all of the questions last year!

Remember your key scenes: balcony and fight scene. Also know your themes such as the themes of fate, dreams versus reality, youth versus age etc.

Also know the protagonists well e.g. Romeo is very impetuous (he is the Petrarchan lover) this may add to his romantic side which is shown when he is wooing Juliet (also tie in the dreams aspect here as Romeo is idealistic whereas the reality is these two can never be together happily) however his passion also means that he makes very rash decisions that end up signifying his downfall i.e. fight scene when his rage consumes him and causes him to murder Tybalt leading to the events which cause the young lovers' deaths. With Juliet she starts off as a very young girl who is dependent on her parents and her nurse however upon meeting Romeo she recognises his immature side and hence propels herself into maturity as this is the only chance they have for their love to survive. Juliet then goes onto deceive her parents by faking her own death (this takes courage as the risks of the plan are very high which adds to the tragedy of the climax as we get the impression that they almost know that they are doomed which gives the sense of helplessness and desperation). She also stands up to her father (consider the patriarchal society which the play is set) and at the climax scene she chooses death rather than be subject to her father's will. Note the differences in the lovers' suicides: Romeo kills himself out of his rashness and passion. If he had halted for a minute longer Juliet would have woken and the tragedy would have been avoided (tie in the theme of fate, if one small change had been made then they would have survived) whereas Juliet kills herself because she realises that she needs to escape from the chains of her father's control etc.

I'm sorry if this is very long and I'm boring you but I'm trying to get across that there is SO much that you can write about (I haven't looked at Romeo and Juliet since last May yet I remember most of it) and it means you can write for almost any question. I know you didn't ask for advice but I thought I'd offer it anyway.
If you need any notes/quotes/example essays I have a lot of mine from last year so PM me if you want any help.

And most of all: good luck and don't panic!
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just did a quick half hour of Close Reading techniques, diving into the heavy studying now.

COME ON SCOTTISH TSR!

HERE WE. HERE WE. HERE WE ****ING GO!!!
INeedToLoseWeight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For my prelim I got 31/50 for close reading and 17/25 for both my essays which was slightly disappointin so I got 65% . I really want an A, but wouldn't be disappointed with a B.
laughylolly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Higher English.

I have revised:
Novel - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Poems - Shooting Stars and War Photographer (Carol Ann Duffy)
Non-Fiction - A Hanging (George Orwell)

I really hope suitable questions for Jekyll and Hyde and Shooting Stars come up. Close reading I'm averaging around 35/50 so hopefully I'll be okay on the day.
I've worked out to secure an A I need to get at least 35 on close reading and 17 on each of my essays (that's to get around 70%). English is my worst subject so I'm kinda freaking out but I will be sooooo happy when it's all over.
SomethingWicked
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm panicking now. A lot.
My prelim results were really good, but all my critical essays after that have been <20. I'm just hoping I can perform well under pressure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed