Countries you were disappointed about Watch

SatanIsAwesome
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rhodes sucked balls, so did Florida (if I wanted to see hippos i'd go to Africa again).
Paris, Marseilla, Berlin, Crete, Cairo and the lake district were awesome though.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
North Korea. Average chicks. Terrible food. Awful television. Kim Jong Il wouldn't come out of his basement to see me, I was appalled. No wonder he's so ronery.
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Blueflare)
I know it's not representative of France, but Paris was disappointing, especially considering that I didn't have high (unrealistic) expectations to begin with.
I got conned/mugged within 3 hours of arriving (in broad daylight and everything), was pestered by really pushy and aggressive merchants CONSTANTLY and a lot of people were rude. Couldn't get a good cup of tea, food was nothing special, and everything was obscenely overpriced. The architecture was great and I'm glad I saw the sights, but I did not enjoy being in Paris itself in the slightest. The metro was a pain in the ass, and lots of things were just generally underwhelming.
Yeah I agree with you.

I kind of expected it to be as wonderful and beautiful as many others say it is however it was just like London: Grotty, people were rude, rushed and pushy and crowded.

The monuments and attractions were lovely but the general vibe of the place was disappointing.

I've not written Paris off yet though, I hope to return again when my French is better so I can attempt to embrace their culture more successfully.
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Albufeira in Portugal was lovely but it was just a beach resort without any culture.

It was just a hotter Southend-on-sea to me which is sad. It was pretty though and people were friendly so I can't complain too much.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I went to a part of Spain that I can't spell right now (lol) because my Auntie and Uncle have a property there and let us stay in it. But it wasn't remotely tourist-y, and nobody spoke English.. and we hardly spoke any Spanish, so the whole holiday was just stress from beginning to end
Blimey, that's something I'd absolutely love, not a stress at all! What part of Spain was it?
jimcatinnes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by irina793)
None so far, but hearing everyone's not so good experience with France, I'm kinda apprehensive now to go there this summer...
I loved France, I've been to Paris 3 times now and I've been to St Omar, I can't think of one occasion where a french person has been rude to me. You have to speak some french when you go though, because imagine you worked in a shop and a french person walked up to you and just started speaking french at you, you wouldn't have a clue. Also let go of the belief that they are going to be rude to you, because if you keep thinking that, then you'll probably interpret what they say/do as rude.

(Original post by Hravan)
Going slightly off-topic here..

I'm hoping to go to New Zealand in 2 years time.. Anything you think is a must-do and any recommendations on airlines or places to stay?

Although, my only reason for wanting to go to New Zealand (which has been a dream for 10 years now) is because of LotR. :rolleyes:
Seeing as it means the difference between a good holiday and bad holiday, I would recommend you bring your own tea...
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by soy_david)
Well, seeing as I've no interest in bungee jumping, climbing stuff and have a spot of vertigo it's never going to satisfy me. Oh, nor do I like beaches.

The scenery is lovely and the people, too, but it just felt like I was back in Wales, what with everyone wanting to talk to me about rugby. I was there for 3 weeks and went from Rotorua all the way up to Whangerei and everywhere inbetween.

Also: Australia I enjoyed less. Yes, you can shoot me.

I've never been to Australia, so I won't call you out on that!

A non-adrenaline junkie is a foreign species to me, so you'll have to forgive me! Did you go to the geysers in Rotorua? I went with a group of about twenty and it was awesome. THREE mud baths!

And you have to admit the All Blacks are AWESOME.
Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
New Zealand. 24 hours on a plane to end up back in Wales. In the 1980s.
Did you visit the North Island?
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by screenager2004)
Last year we did a tour of Europe and it was massively disappointing. All the cities looked the same. All had the same H&M on the high street and naff cafes. Really really massive waste of money. Not going back to Europe any time soon!
Eh? Seriously? Lisbon, Dublin, Budapest, Amsterdam, Florence, Barcelona, Oslo, Istanbul, Athens, Sarajevo, Heidelburg, Warsaw.... all of these places are very different!
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by KJane)
Turkey, beautiful place but they seemed rude over there. Plus I got food poisoning from the hotel restaurant and spent two days in my hotel room throwing up and needing the toilet constantly, I couldn't keep anything down, not even water.

Didn't help when I watched watchdog a few months later and saw our hotel was on the programme due to complaints about really bad hygiene in the kitchens and how hundreds of people had ended up with food poisoning.

But then I did get to say 'I told you I didn't overeat.' to my mum because she didn't believe that I had food poisoning despite being so sick.
Which hotel was it?
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
- Bulgaria
- Thailand. The food was amazing, but the old white man/young Thai girl thing was just too much for me.
- Dubai. Definitely not as great as everybody makes out
soy_david
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
Did you visit the North Island?
Yep, Rotorua to Whangarei and inbetween.
soy_david
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)
I've never been to Australia, so I won't call you out on that!

A non-adrenaline junkie is a foreign species to me, so you'll have to forgive me! Did you go to the geysers in Rotorua? I went with a group of about twenty and it was awesome. THREE mud baths!

And you have to admit the All Blacks are AWESOME.
Oh, I loved the mud baths, but I could never, ever get used to the smell of sulphur. I couldn't live there.
Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep, Rotorua to Whangarei and inbetween.
:O oh wow, I really liked the north island, I'm wearing the bracelet I got from Rotorua still, 7 years later, and I went and swam with the dolphins and stuff in Napier... each to their own I guess?

EDIT: Oh and we did jet skiing and went bungee jumping and stuff... South island was just full of.. sheep and nothingness for hundreds of miles
lolololol
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, seeing as I've no interest in bungee jumping, climbing stuff and have a spot of vertigo it's never going to satisfy me. Oh, nor do I like beaches.

The scenery is lovely and the people, too, but it just felt like I was back in Wales, what with everyone wanting to talk to me about rugby. I was there for 3 weeks and went from Rotorua all the way up to Whangerei and everywhere inbetween.

Also: Australia I enjoyed less. Yes, you can shoot me.
I went to Australia nearly 10 years ago and it was still the best holiday I have ever been on! Definitely want to go back one day, need to save a decent bit of money though.
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
There seems to be a bit of hate for Bulgaria around - surely there are some beautiful parts?
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
:O oh wow, I really liked the north island, I'm wearing the bracelet I got from Rotorua still, 7 years later, and I went and swam with the dolphins and stuff in Napier... each to their own I guess?

EDIT: Oh and we did jet skiing and went bungee jumping and stuff... South island was just full of.. sheep and nothingness for hundreds of miles
I've been to North Island (which I loved... Auckland, the Coromandel Peninsula, Rotorua, Bay of Plenty and the East Cape, Te Urewera National Park, Raglan, New Plymouth) but not the South. Some friends have been though and they said it was amazing! Kayaking around the coast of Abel Tasman National Park, the Catlins Forest Park, Stewart Island, Nelson Lakes National Park, the famous ****ord Sound and the rest of Fiordland, the student town of Dunedin, Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers... Sounds amazing, and I was so so gutted when I realised I didn't have enough money at the right time to be able to go to the South Island!
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
There seems to be a bit of hate for Bulgaria around - surely there are some beautiful parts?
Oh, there are There's some horribly touristy places, like Sunny Beach, but also tons of lovely untouristy places.
Kirsteneg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
India - let's just say there are a lot of pervs there.
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
Oh, there are There's some horribly touristy places, like Sunny Beach, but also tons of lovely untouristy places.
What like?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.16%
No - but I will (80)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.95%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.17%

Watched Threads