Are today's young Leftists stupid? Watch

Dahut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is a stupid question. Not all young people are stupid. Not all left wing people are stupid. So, why would all young left wing people be? Anyway, I think that there are those who inevitably just say "REVOLUTION!!!! Down with the government!!! Free money for everyone!!". Just like there are those on the right who say "Those disgusting scroungers, let's get rid of benefits! Privatise the NHS. It's their fault their poor, make them pay!!!!" They may be stupid but there are also many intelligent young people from across the political spectrum. It is ignorance to just generalise.
jesusandtequila
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IQ Test)
On the whole, yes: one of the key things about left wing politics is that the needs of the people outweigh the needs of private companies. Many on the right only chase their own personal interests.

I said many: I'm sure there are exceptions.
The premise of right-wing politics is not to pursue personal interests, though, it is that those on the left are mistaken to believe they can social engineer, that they don't have the necessary information, and that the means (forcible extortion of property with the threat of violence) isn't worth the ends, which generally include perverse, unintended consequences.

Equally, I could argue that the motivations of those on the Left are to enable creeping political power such that they can exercise force over citizens for their own gain, but it's just as much based upon speculation as your assertion.
planetearth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
What the ****? Is there any use in believing in something so idealistic that even YOU are saying it will never happen?
I know it will never happen on a Universal scale.

But on a small scale it has happened.

Kerala in India is a Communist state with a population of 33million.

It has one of the best human rights records in the world, is one of the fairest democracies in the world, has one of the highest literacy rates in the world, the highest quality of life and HDI in India and the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala

So there is still hope.
Emaemmaemily
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by planetearth)
I know it will never happen on a Universal scale.

But on a small scale it has happened.

Kerala in India is a Communist state with a population of 33million.

It has one of the best human rights records in the world, is one of the fairest democracies in the world, has one of the highest literacy rates in the world, the highest quality of life and HDI in India and the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala

So there is still hope.
This is not true communsim... Just so you know
But I agree... Commnism could succeed one day (not soon).
IQ Test
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Excuse me? You don't have to be a ****ing left winger to do that.
As I said: I'm sure there are exceptions.
pyuicd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On the whole, yes: one of the key things about left wing politics is that the needs of the people outweigh the needs of private companies. Many on the right only chase their own personal interests.

I said many: I'm sure there are exceptions.
Thats a very misinformed viewpoint, but it is all too common for the left who think themselves the only ones who care about the world. Right wingers also want to make the world a better place, but don't believe handouts and government involvement are the best way to do it.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
This is a motion. You could say I'm the moderator of the motion. The moderator cannot, by definition, be effusive about his/her own sentiments on the issue.

Thumbs up for my insincerity?
It is a question, not a motion. A motion is a statement that is debated and not a question.

My view: How can you generalise that much, of course you will get some 'leftists' that are 'stupid' just as you will get some 'rightisys' that are equally 'stupid'.
planetearth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
This is not true communsim... Just so you know
But I agree... Commnism could succeed one day (not soon).
"True Communism" is a subjective term haha.
IQ Test
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jesusandtequila)
The premise of right-wing politics is not to pursue personal interests, though, it is that those on the left are mistaken to believe they can social engineer, that they don't have the necessary information, and that the means (forcible extortion of property with the threat of violence) isn't worth the ends, which generally include perverse, unintended consequences.

Equally, I could argue that the motivations of those on the Left are to enable creeping political power such that they can exercise force over citizens for their own gain, but it's just as much based upon speculation as your assertion.
To me, it seems that promotion of private business over state services is a way of persuing personal interests, but that's just one type of right wing politics.
Emaemmaemily
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"True Communism" is a subjective term haha.
When I say true communism, I mean the original as explained by Marx. Other kinds are not "true" because they are variations created later.
Kinda not the poit though lol
Barden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Down south, 'sheep' are Tories... up north, 'sheep' are Labourites...

Swings and roundabouts, but that rule applies to everyone.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes you are. In previous comments, you fail to acknowledge that you yourself make stupid generalist comments, yet ATTACK OTHERS for the same thing?

That is being hypocritical.
I am not going to go into the ema stuff because we have done it a million times before.
However, I ask you again to read what I said.
"Just as bad"
To be just as bad means there has to be some "bad" on the left too. I did not deny that.
IQ Test
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pyuicd)
Thats a very misinformed viewpoint, but it is all too common for the left who think themselves the only ones who care about the world. Right wingers also want to make the world a better place, but don't believe handouts and government involvement are the best way to do it.
Fair enough, but I think that a large government is the best way to bring about fairness and good quality of life to the masses whilst managing the problems of pollution and environmental damage in our time. It doesn't seem to me that large, private multinationals respect the natural environment or its resources. A large government could impose laws to protect the environment whilst sustaining manufacture and keeping people in employment.
und
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about the left-wing nuts who think that if EMA is scrapped, all poor people won't be able to go to sixth form? :rolleyes:

Don't be so hypocritical.
Do you really think that's the only argument in favour of EMA? I think you should get yourself out from under that rock and have a look at the people around you who happen to be less fortunate, and whose parents would have to borrow money or skip holidays to cover travel and other costs associated with a college or sixth form.
planetearth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
When I say true communism, I mean the original as explained by Marx. Other kinds are not "true" because they are variations created later.
Kinda not the poit though lol
No because Karl Marx just provided a strong gathering of left wing ideas in his manifestos that had already been developing centuries ago.

He was by no means the founder of Communism, but certainly a pioneer.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jesusandtequila)
The premise of right-wing politics is not to pursue personal interests.
That may be true for you, but it certainly is not true for everyone on the right.
Why do you think the rich are generally right wing? For their own gain. Of course you can say the same about why so many less well off people are on the left.

You're not my age. Believe me, it is "hip" nowadays to be left wing.
Well when I was your age, hardly anyone was interested in politics at all. So I'd suggest any involvement is an improvement.
Who knows, perhaps in a few years it will be "hip" to be on the right, and you'll be happy then.
IQ Test
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No because Karl Marx just provided a strong gathering of left wing ideas in his manifestos that had already been developing centuries ago.

But he was (obviously) the founder of Marxism, which has become synonymous with true communism today, rightly or wrongly.
Keckers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To me, it seems that promotion of private business over state services is a way of persuing personal interests, but that's just one type of right wing politics.
Whereas promotion of the government results in pursuing personal interests for politicians, a much smaller group who are already in a seat of power.
Emaemmaemily
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

He created the "communist manifesto", and created the idea of Marxist Communism - this was the original. But it's kind of besides the point of what we're talking about.
pyuicd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nothing to do with personal interests. Why do i not like a large government? Not because I own a company to compete with it, but because I believe it is not fair to tax people heavily to have such a huge public sector. Especially when it is arguably full of non jobs etc, sickeningly poor productivity and general working conditions and pay are far more generous than the private sector. Why should a struggling worker be paying for these excesses? It is morally wrong.

Where do you draw the line with public services? Should public services be 90% of GDP? At what point does the tax burden on the private sector mean that the public sector can no longer be funded sustainably? (i would argue this point has passed.) Not only do right wingers consider excessive state involvement immoral, but it is often far too costly.

Half of economic output in the country is just our government's activity. WTF? Left wingers accuse the right of being 'evil', wanting to CUT CUT BLAH BLAH. There are damn good arguments for it. The gentle idiocy of the left is the most dangerous thing in this country. Labour will borrow our country into bankrupcy to secure their public sector votes, and they nearly did it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (146)
38.32%
No - but I will (21)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (186)
48.82%

Watched Threads