Turn on thread page Beta

Labour might close half of Britains Universities watch

ReputationRep:
    You realise thats the research assessment? RAE and has nothing to do with assessing teaching quality...

Also they only submitted 14.2 FTE, in terms of research power they are far lower. eg Uni of Manchester got 2.55/4 with 24 FTE as opposed to 2.65/4 for GCU who submitted 40% fewer staff.

Even their statement said it
    'The results of RAE 2008 have fully confirmed Glasgow Caledonian University’s international profile in research.' and

'30% of the researchers we submitted were judged to be producing research at a level that is world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*).
    Over 70% of the staff submitted were categorised as producing research that is internationally recognised. '

Its an assessment of research and they decided who to and not to submit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So Architecture then as thats not academic either?
    In what world is architecture not academic?!

Architecture requires serious intelligence, it's very academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    In what world is architecture not academic?!

Architecture requires serious intelligence, it's very academic.
    In a world where people know the difference between vocational and academic :P

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/academic

Mostly parts 2 and 3.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vocational

Part 2.

Its vocational. Just because Something needs intelligence doesn't mean its academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You realise thats the research assessment? RAE and has nothing to do with assessing teaching quality...

Also they only submitted 14.2 FTE, in terms of research power they are far lower. eg Uni of Manchester got 2.55/4 with 24 FTE as opposed to 2.65/4 for GCU who submitted 40% fewer staff.

Even their statement said it
    'The results of RAE 2008 have fully confirmed Glasgow Caledonian University’s international profile in research.' and

'30% of the researchers we submitted were judged to be producing research at a level that is world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*).
    Over 70% of the staff submitted were categorised as producing research that is internationally recognised. '

Its an assessment of research and they decided who to and not to submit.
    Well I'd rather go by RAE than some biased, wildly fluctuating league table.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    In a world where people know the difference between vocational and academic :P

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/academic

Mostly parts 2 and 3.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vocational

Part 2.

Its vocational. Just because Something needs intelligence doesn't mean its academic.
    Harvard University classify architecture as an academic discipline, I'm inclined to go with their view.

Architecture is an academic field.

As is medicine, and dentistry. All three fields require serious study from an academic point of view.

Events management...not so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Well I'd rather go by RAE than some biased, wildly fluctuating league table.
    But you want to ignore how many staff the uni sent for assessment (funding was allocated based on the score x staff entered)? Otherwise its just as biased (ie rigged by the universities).

Without that adjustment the Uni of Essex is the 9th best uni in the country... which doesn't seem 'right'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    But you want to ignore how many staff the uni sent for assessment (funding was allocated based on the score x staff entered)? Otherwise its just as biased (ie rigged by the universities).

Without that adjustment the Uni of Essex is the 9th best uni in the country... which doesn't seem 'right'...
    Well I personally chose a uni that had the joint second most sent for assessment, and rejected my offer from Glasgow Caledonian.
    And I couldn't be happier with my choice.

edit: I'm doing EEE, nothing to do with Health

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is possibly the worst thing that Labour could ever do to students.

Regardless of whether there is a job available at the end i am a great believer in education and as such would oppose such a notion virrolently. People should have the right and the means to seek knowledge.

How does he possibly think that preventing a large percentage of people from being educated to a higher standard will be anything but a bad thing in the long run.

Stupid and perposturous and despite my lack of enthusiasm for Labour, it is not often that i find them offensive to my beliefs but this certainly hits the spot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

Regardless of whether there is a job available at the end i am a great believer in education and as such would oppose such a notion virrolently. People should have the right and the means to seek knowledge.

How does he possibly think that preventing a large percentage of people from being educated to a higher standard will be anything but a bad thing in the long run.

Stupid and perposturous and despite my lack of enthusiasm for Labour, it is not often that i find them offensive to my beliefs but this certainly hits the spot!
    People should have the right and means to seek knowledge?

You don't need to complete a degree to learn. Your local library is free to sign up to and use, feel free to start taking books out today.

And higher education? How is having thousands of people trained in travel and tourism, food and beverages studies going to massively effect us?

Instead they can focus on vocational courses which might actually help the economy and push down the number of people wanting office jobs etc when they haven't got a cat in hells chance because who is an employer gonna hire? A student with a history degree or a student with a travel and tourism degree?

You're just being ignorant in the view in thinking that degrees are for everybody, I don't know why everybody thinks this, but they're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

People do have the right and the means to seek knowledge. We have an institution for that, it's called the Open University, and it's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    You should lose Oxford that place is a dump. Guffaws like General Melchett*

ReputationRep:
    The last bunch of labour preecks in power screwed up the education system , they come to finish off .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Events Management
    Travel and Tourism
    Waste Management

etc
    That I have to say is fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Well I personally chose a uni that had the joint second most sent for assessment, and rejected my offer from Glasgow Caledonian.
    And I couldn't be happier with my choice.

edit: I'm doing EEE, nothing to do with Health
    I wasn't talking personally, just your methodology for backing GCU as a good place for teaching those subjects.

tbh I think the RAE is a decent indicator, but it needs to be used based on research power rather than average score (even though my uni comes out better with an average score system).

ReputationRep:
    It's in the top ten in the uk for them in fact.
    Wow, well I guess I stand corrected. Their best courses must be amazing :eek:

(Not sarcasm btw)

ReputationRep:
    Less universities, the more degrees are recognised as quality. Then again, I imagine the lower class who believe they have a right to everything without the same effort as others (or same good luck in some cases) will be outraged by not being able to study Media or whatever mickey mouse subject at a **** tier Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PagowenTheGreat)
    Wow, well I guess I stand corrected. Their best courses must be amazing :eek:

(Not sarcasm btw)
    I wouldn't get too excited though.
    I have a few friends there, by the sounds of it, they're not very organised, and the lecturers aren't great, but I suppose that varies from department to department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dark Lord)
    It's a good idea, but I doubt they would ever follow through with it.
    This. We all know it's a good idea but it'll be hard as **** to carry out.

They could be replaced by vocational colleges, suggested the Labour peer.
    Sounds fairly sensible to me.

ReputationRep:
    Education Education Education

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.