Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 8 in most stores but even fitting into a size 10 will upset me, I know I'm the right size for my height and body but I would get a kick out of fitting into a size 6.

ReputationRep:
    Im a size 4-6...

If im not a size4-6 then I get pissed off quite quickly, I feel a lazy slob, out of control and that I should get on it and sort myself out.

I dislike feeling like that, at the end of the day we are people not a mere clothes size. Im trying to curb these feelings, they are self destructive and not useful for anyone, least of all yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepy18)
    ASDA annoys me, I bought a pair of shorts and some jeans in an 18 and couldn't get them to do up, everywhere else I'm an 18 just fine :dontknow:
    I do think some of their stuff runs small, but as a store from item to item they're fairly consistent. The G21 stuff tends to run smaller but the Moda bigger, depends who its aimed at I guess.

Only trouble i have with ASDA trousers/shorts/denim is the length. 33in is NOT a "long" inside leg...to put things into perspective, a 33in inside leg is a "regular" at Juicy Couture, whereas their long length is 35in. Ideal for me, I don't care if people say my velour trackies are chavvy, they're good quality and they fit well. They're also insanely comfy, and I don't have the blingy ones, just the normal style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylalou07)
    Hey lovelies!

I'm currently doing some research for my dissertation. I'm looking at how clothes sizes affect a woman's self esteem.
    How do you feel about wearing larger / smaller size clothes? For example, would you feel better if you could slip into a size 10 rather than a 14, or does size really not matter?
    Along with this, do you like/dislike'vanity sizing'? Some women I have spoken to have said that it is a good thing, others have said that it is a really bad thing, and that the clothing industry should have a standardized sizing system. What do YOU think? Do you get frustrated at being different sizes in different shops, and if so, who do you think the worst offenders are?

Thanks for your help (in advance!) K x
    I'm a size 10, and it upsets me...most of all because I'm also not toned up, therefore I don't like the way I look naked...well, even dressed, but naked makes it adamant...

this has created self-esteem problems as well as confidence problems and has brought me more issues about food and nutrition..I've become a binge-eater, and although I had worked my way out of it through a one-year-and-a-half long diet, it all started again during my year abroad, when I started dating my current boyfriend, due to the stress of dating and my insecurities...and now, everytime I'm stressed because of too much work, or I argue with my bf or am worried for shth, I slip back into my old pattern...

...after that, my self esteem drops, obviously, when clothes my size don't fit me or my old clothes don't fit me weel...it's a loop and it's bringing me down.

I dislike vanity sizing, and I think it has affected me and my self perception profoundly since I was a kid..but I can't think rationally when it comes to that, even though I know it's wrong. Yes, a standardized system would do good, especially a European one.

ReputationRep:
    I am a size 8 (occasionally a 10) and still feel awful. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylalou07)
    Hey lovelies!

I'm currently doing some research for my dissertation. I'm looking at how clothes sizes affect a woman's self esteem.
    How do you feel about wearing larger / smaller size clothes? For example, would you feel better if you could slip into a size 10 rather than a 14, or does size really not matter?
    Along with this, do you like/dislike'vanity sizing'? Some women I have spoken to have said that it is a good thing, others have said that it is a really bad thing, and that the clothing industry should have a standardized sizing system. What do YOU think? Do you get frustrated at being different sizes in different shops, and if so, who do you think the worst offenders are?

Thanks for your help (in advance!) K x
    My sister was upset when she put on weight many years ago and went up from an 8 to a 10. I also know that some of my friends have felt the same when they go up a size because an increase in dress size means you have put on weight and no girl likes that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 8, and it doesn't usually bother me going up a size in a few things (especially as I like baggier cardigans and jumpers), but if I noticed I was having to buy more 10s I think I would feel differently.
    Worst offender has got to be H&M, I can be between a 6 and a 12 in there and that's just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    means you have put on weight and no girl likes that.
    please don't generalise like that. a lot of people are body-positive and are fine with their bodies whatever way they are; some people find genuine difficulty with maintaining a certain weight and it is out of their hands, maybe you find it the worst thing in the world, but some of us find there are worse traits to have than size: stupidity, unkindness, short-sightedness.

also? it is fully possible to be fat and healthy. if you believe otherwise then congratulations, you've been sucked under by ****ty conventional standards of beauty and the weight loss industry's lies. which, shock horror, just wants your money, and doesn't give a hoot about whether they're giving you some horrid insecurity that'll plague you for the rest of your life or whether you feel ~comfortable~. seriously, just think a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Clothes sizes don't affect my self-esteem in the slightest. I can fit in things from a size 6 to a size 14 but, on average, I'm a 10. Primark is the worst when it comes to sizes, they're always in the extreme end of the spectrum, either way too big or too small.

ReputationRep:
    My sister was upset when she put on weight many years ago and went up from an 8 to a 10. I also know that some of my friends have felt the same when they go up a size because an increase in dress size means you have put on weight and no girl likes that.
    Or it could be variation due to shops and style? Some tops you have to go up a size because they're smaller on the boob area, or the shop could make something slightly different and you may go up or down a size depending. It doesn't always mean you've put on weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valse de la lune)
    please don't generalise like that. a lot of people are body-positive and are fine with their bodies whatever way they are; some people find genuine difficulty with maintaining a certain weight and it is out of their hands, maybe you find it the worst thing in the world, but some of us find there are worse traits to have than size: stupidity, unkindness, short-sightedness.

also? it is fully possible to be fat and healthy. if you believe otherwise then congratulations, you've been sucked under by ****ty conventional standards of beauty and the weight loss industry's lies. which, shock horror, just wants your money, and doesn't give a hoot about whether they're giving you some horrid insecurity that'll plague you for the rest of your life or whether you feel ~comfortable~. seriously, just think a bit.
    Unless the shops change their clothing system (which is unlikely), a change in size is due to a change in your weight.
    People should not be fine with their body regardless of their weight. Doing so is due to denial because no one wants to be fat due to the health issues and as well as being unattractive. Being fat is a bad trait not just because of how it looks, but what it shows a person to be. No one becomes fat because they have self control and high self esteem.

You can't be fat and healthy. Being fat is technically a disease because of the damage it does to your body so it is like arguing that you can have cancer and be healthy...
    Also it has been proven that fat is not attractive (even though we all knew this anyway) so you need to ditch your new age bull**** and face the facts.

(Original post by LipstickKisses)
    Or it could be variation due to shops and style? Some tops you have to go up a size because they're smaller on the boob area, or the shop could make something slightly different and you may go up or down a size depending. It doesn't always mean you've put on weight.
    Aye, some shops and styles do mess around with cloth sizing and I do have sympathy for everyone who has to deal with it, however with my friends and sister they had put on weight and everything became too small (the easiest way to check is with trying on clothes you already own). This of course meant that when they went to buy new clothes they had to go up a size which was not exactly great for their confidence.

(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    .....we are people not a mere clothes size.....
    Yes and no (which is the major problem with fashion).

To a high end fashion designer, people are simply manikins that move. This is because in their opinion they are not making clothes, but art. Fair enough.

These "pieces of art" have to of course be filtered down to standard shops in which they are changed and sold as clothes over many months of copying and altering designs.
    However sometimes that does not happen and entire trends try to objectify people merely because some group of dicks in New York want all women to dress as little boys :facepalm: The result of course is major social problems for many women.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with people saying sizes should be standardised. I go from a 12 right up to a 16 depending on the shop in question :lolwut:

I don't really care tbh, I used to weight train so I often need bigger sizes to fit my arms lol.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, some shops and styles do mess around with cloth sizing and I do have sympathy for everyone who has to deal with it, however with my friends and sister they had put on weight and everything became too small (the easiest way to check is with trying on clothes you already own). This of course meant that when they went to buy new clothes they had to go up a size which was not exactly great for their confidence.
    Oh right, yeah I see what you mean then. I thought you meant generally. There should be a standardised system, but even then I recogn styles of clothes would be different, as they're cut differently.

ReputationRep:
    Vanity sizing is annoying, but I can imagine it's worse for smaller girls than me. I would say I'm a natural size 12, maybe 12-14 on the bottom, but I've found I can fit into anything from 8-12 . Especially Primark and New Look, I have a lot of tops from those which are 8s or 10s. So how do smaller girls manage to find clothes that don't fall off them, if I can fit into the smallest size??

Standardised sizing ftw.

P.S. Maybe their should be some sort of fashion convention where all the brands decide on which sizes are which measurements. As obviously there has been lots of vanity sizing, the measurements would have to be smaller for most sizes, eg a new size 14 is an old size 12. This might upset some women that they have suddenly gone up a size, but it shouldn't - your body measurements are what counts.

P.P.S. No I don't get upset if I go a size larger than usual, if I know I'm the same measurements I've always been. I keep track of my size with a tape measure so clothes shopping makes no difference

ReputationRep:
    Argh I hate my size. I just spent the last two weeks searching every single shop out there for a pair of formal trousers that would fit me and everything I found was ridiculously large. I'm a size 4 and I hate that most shops don't do my size, not even close! The only places that do clothes my size are trendy teen shops like Topshop and Miss Selfridge and their formal wear are still too big for me.
    It's so frustrating and time wasting to shop for clothes. The other day I went into the kids section and found that I fit into clothes for 9- 10 yr olds but they were too short. Just felt like screaming.
    I just wish there was a small version of Evans. There seem to be a lot of shops out there that cater for large people but not small people. Some people here have mentioned vanity sizing, yes that is very annoying. I wish sizes could stay the same as they were in the 60s, then maybe I could be a size 8 or something and not feel like a child.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be fat and healthy. Being fat is technically a disease because of the damage it does to your body so it is like arguing that you can have cancer and be healthy...
    Also it has been proven that fat is not attractive (even though we all knew this anyway) so you need to ditch your new age bull**** and face the facts.
    erm... the ****? beauty is a subjective trait, you cannot 'prove' what is most attractive when everyone has different standards. oh, and I thought pretty much everyone was well aware that conventional standards of beauty are a bunch of misogynistic ****? no? wow. seriously, what are you even talking about. personally I find body policing a lot less attractive than fat, I must just be an ~*anomaly*~, right?? eyeroll.

... no ... ... being fat is not technically a disease. first of all, um wow. fat is just. a thing that happens? some people's bodies are more naturally disposed to storing fat in certain areas, some people are JUST LIKE THAT. good god, bodies are all different; just like skin and hair and eyes, size comes in a biiig spectrum and you are just peddling the same body policing routine that has seriously gotten tired now that it has become obvious fat is not a ~~~disease~~~.

maybe you should research this kind of thing before launching into bigotry! just a tip.

ReputationRep:
    I've recently put on around a stone and a half due to stopping smoking.Of course thats meant that my clothes size has increased too.I used to be a size 10/12, whereas now I'm more a 12/14.Strangely enough though I am rather happy about being a little larger, I have no idea why though!!.

I used to think that if I put on weight I'd hate it, but actually its increased my self confidence and I feel really good

ReputationRep:
    Bigger people tend to wear smaller clothes. A close friend of mine is size 16, yet she wears a 12. So when we go out her dresses are far too short (because they are stretched out for too much width wise, so look much longer on the hanger) I was thinking about this earlier, and the principles of friendship, I think I'd be overstepping my mark by saying to her that maybe she should buy a 'different size' when she next complains about her dresses being too short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Bigger people tend to wear smaller clothes. A close friend of mine is size 16, yet she wears a 12. So when we go out her dresses are far too short (because they are stretched out for too much width wise, so look much longer on the hanger) I was thinking about this earlier, and the principles of friendship, I think I'd be overstepping my mark by saying to her that maybe she should buy a 'different size' when she next complains about her dresses being too short.
    I don't see how this can be true at all. How could a size 16 physically fit into a size 12 ?(imagine we are talking about the same style in the same shop to avoid different sizing issues)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valse de la lune)
    erm... the ****? beauty is a subjective trait, you cannot 'prove' what is most attractive when everyone has different standards
    Wrong. It has been shown what is subjective and what is embedded into everyones instincts when it comes to attraction. Go do some research into this before spouting your fatty supporting bull****.

... . oh, and I thought pretty much everyone was well aware that conventional standards of beauty are a bunch of misogynistic ****? no? wow.
    Source? No? Didn't think so.

seriously, what are you even talking about. personally I find body policing a lot less attractive than fat, I must just be an ~*anomaly*~, right?? eyeroll.
    It is to do with your emotions, how you look, and were you place yourself socially on what you can achieve. Again, go hit google scholar if you want to argue this point further.

... no ... ... being fat is not technically a disease.
    Yes it is. Until you have a degree in medicine you can not argue this point.

first of all, um wow. fat is just. a thing that happens? some people's bodies are more naturally disposed to storing fat in certain areas, some people are JUST LIKE THAT. good god, bodies are all different; just like skin and hair and eyes, size comes in a biiig spectrum and you are just peddling the same body policing routine that has seriously gotten tired now that it has become obvious fat is not a ~~~disease~~~.
    HAHAHAHA! So you go to bed one night and just wake up fat? :rofl: Seriously, get that head out of the sand! Being gfat is a slow process of letting your image go to **** due to comfort eating and/or being lazy. No one wants to be fat and unattractive so people become fat by ignoring their issues.

Some people are not just like that as there were no fat people in Auschwitz :rolleyes:

maybe you should research this kind of thing before launching into bigotry! just a tip.
    If you want I can provide you with a number of papers published from respectable journals. Can you do the same (even though you probably don't even know what a paper or journal is.....)?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.