Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetearth)
    No I'm not if you actually read my post, you would see how I said it was illegal....
    Obiovusly it is not illegal to discriminate against whites. For christ sake one of the posts was advertising a police job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpful_Charlie)
    It's amazing how all the jobs I've applied to have rejected me, yet when I go to the stores all I see are ethnic minorities. How is this 'equal opportunity'?

In fact, the only interview I've received was for Harrods at 16.

McDonalds - rejected in favour of some immigrants who won't complain
    Currys - rejected in favour of some ethnic minorities
    Toys R Us - see above

And it goes on.

How is 'equal opportunity' even legal? A company should not know a persons ethnicity before the interview, instead choosing based on skills and qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valse de la lune)
    check your privilege, tosspot.

oh, and read up on racism. you know, actual institutionalised stuff. then come back and maybe you can whine whine whine to your privileged heart's fecking content. goddamn.
    Oh shut up you detestable moron, you see some white elites at the top and assume ALL whites are fecking privileged?

ReputationRep:
    This study sent out CVs with 'black' names and 'white' names, - the white names got 50% more interviews. It's in America but the point still stands.
    http://www.chicagobooth.edu/pdf/bertrand.pdf

check your privilege.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't hire you for a job, you seem to think you are entitled to it, you say you are better qualified but qualifications aren't everything, what makes you better than other candidates?

Get over yourself =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    What's "cis"?
    Commonwealth of Independent States

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blahblah2654)
    Means a lot, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    A company should not know a persons ethnicity before the interview, instead choosing based on skills and qualifications.
    I agreed with this.
    I didn't agree with the rest of your post, you seem to think that you must be the better qualified applicant and are outraged that an ethnic minority applicant could be better than you - give it a rest.

However, I agree with you at not understanding why they ask for your ethnicity on a job application form. If they really want it to be equal opportunities isn't it best to just not know? If they know they can prove they invited as many 'blacks' as 'whites' to interview (sorry for the crude, general terms, but it's just so you can get the jist of what I mean) but the best way to not discriminate is not to know in the first place so all you have to go on is the CV/the rest of the application.
    Of course employers would still make some sort of judgement on the name 'sounding foreign', if only there was a way that you could only include like your first name or something, but then there are 'foreign sounding' first names as well - I'd need to think harder about this solution and am open to ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    I agreed with this.
    I didn't agree with the rest of your post, you seem to think that you must be the better qualified applicant and are outraged that an ethnic minority applicant could be better than you - give it a rest.

However, I agree with you at not understanding why they ask for your ethnicity on a job application form. If they really want it to be equal opportunities isn't it best to just not know? If they know they can prove they invited as many 'blacks' as 'whites' to interview (sorry for the crude, general terms, but it's just so you can get the jist of what I mean) but the best way to not discriminate is not to know in the first place so all you have to go on is the CV/the rest of the application.
    Of course employers would still make some sort of judgement on the name 'sounding foreign', if only there was a way that you could only include like your first name or something, but then there are 'foreign sounding' first names as well - I'd need to think harder about this solution and am open to ideas.
    No, no, you misunderstood what I was saying. In regards to the others jobs, I was questioning how it was 'equal opportunity' when all the employees are the same ethnicity. I don't have a problem with someone getting a job if they are better qualified, but why have the guise of 'equal opportunity' if it doesn't apply?

I think a company should be able to make their own choices without the interference of the government. After all, I think we've progressed from the days of 'no dogs, no blacks, no Irish'. If the legislation means that an ethnic minority is given the job instead of the white person, purely because of their ethnicity, then that's discrimination. If it was the other way round, it would still be discrimination but we'd be seeing court cases.

ReputationRep:
    No, no, you misunderstood what I was saying. In regards to the others jobs, I was questioning how it was 'equal opportunity' when all the employees are the same ethnicity. I don't have a problem with someone getting a job if they are better qualified, but why have the guise of 'equal opportunity' if it doesn't apply?

I think a company should be able to make their own choices without the interference of the government. After all, I think we've progressed from the days of 'no dogs, no blacks, no Irish'. If the legislation means that an ethnic minority is given the job instead of the white person, purely because of their ethnicity, then that's discrimination. If it was the other way round, it would still be discrimination but we'd be seeing court cases.
    Okay, so outraged is a bit of a strong way to put it but you're still doing it in my eyes.
    Equal opportunities means that ethnicity isn't a factor, not that there must be a mix of ethnicities. If all of the employees are from an ethnic minority (whether they be a group of different ethnic minorities or all of the same) then it simply means that the employer chose them based on the rest of their CV.
    Obviously it's naive to think that this always happens. But to use a real life example: there is a takeaway down the road from me where all of the employees are East Europeans, except for one English girl. This is not a sign that they are discriminating against English people, just that the East European applicants were the better qualified/had the better experience/interviewed better. They all speak perfect English and are good at rolling pizza dough and other things they have to do - probably due to experience. I would need to be trained to do that job, if they have an ethnic minority individual who has experience in doing that then they are going to be hired over me - but it is nothing to do with our ethnicity.

But they still shouldn't ask you for your ethnicity on job interview forms, if they don't know what ethnicity you are then they cannot discriminate based on it.

ReputationRep:
    just because things get a little hard for white males, its racism now and we're the minority! rubbish! the white male class are simply getting their own equal amount of inequality, and the ignorant deliquants think its racism. get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    i think op is exaggerating. i believe there might be a grain of truth in it though, my and my housemate both have grad job offers from the same company and we went through the standard application process to get it, this is also true of many others in my course with offers from the company. however, there are two people on my year who for totally inexplicable reasons that not even they know off were fast tracked straight to the final application stage before getting their offer. both these guys are black. at least it would explain why on earth every job app i did asked me for my race etc? i mean wtf? how disgraceful that they ask that, they didn;t ask me my hair or eye colour or my height, but apparently my skin colour, a bloody pohysical characteristic and nothing more is important??

my housemate is asian btw. irrelevaant yes, but i know how much the pc guys on tsr would despise me for talking race with a white person.....''you'll be voting bnp next 'ey''

also, when i had my final interview with the firm, the guy interviewing me made a LOT of references to diversity within this year's grad intake and said one of the reasons for the final interview stage, which seems slightly pointless, was to see whether i would ''fit in with the firm's diversity structure''. actual quote that. read into it what you will

anyway, i'm not saying it's necessarily racism behind this. could be nothing. i'm just giving you facts regarding my expereince and others on my course, and you can read into it what you wish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    You keep testing them until they are no longer 'evenly matched'.
    Exactly, no two people are the same.

ReputationRep:
    People HATE PC on here... or rather it's not so much that they hate it, as they blame EVERYTHING that doesn't go their way on PC lefties. Maybe you just didn't do so good in your interviews?

ReputationRep:
    The MOBO awards is an award ceromony for possibly the trashiest culture that has ever infested earth. I admire many forms of black culture and I have a large proportion of black artists in my CD collection. However the MOBO awards really is the gutter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teknik)
    The MOBO awards is an award ceromony for possibly the trashiest culture that has ever infested earth. I admire many forms of black culture and I have a large proportion of black artists in my CD collection. However the MOBO awards really is the gutter.
    Care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    Care to elaborate?
    I would not know where to begin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teknik)
    I would not know where to begin
    Why am I not surprised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Why am I not surprised?
    Says the person who does not understand the simple mathmatical concept of proportion.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a charity I can donate to for down-trodden under-represented white folk? Dammit, my heart just bleeds for them.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.