Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    why are u so concerned op? mind ur own business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bolly_mad)
    You're full of crap. HOW DARE YOU think you can judge a community of over 2 MILLION just because you have a ''few'' British Indian friends.

I'm a British Indian man, and for your information:

- Some of the women in my extended family have married white and black men or women, no one gives a crap.
    - No one has ever been hit, period.
    - My mother is not hysterical, and I and my brother regularly have to do chores, the same as my sister.
    - Whenever the men or women in my family are looking to get married, we look for BRITISH INDIANS, NOT PEOPLE FROM INDIA.

You're not British Indian and you know NOTHING about our community, so shut your mouth and mind your own f***ing business. Ignorant Douchebag.
    You've really missed the point that the OP was trying to make. In fact, you've made more generalizations than the OP, he never said it was the same for all indians. He was saying that in Britain, he doesn't think people should be able to excuse behaviour that conflicts British values and law 'because your Asian'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Is there a problem with moving to Spain?
    The Brits who move there (including my family) get along perfectly well with the Spanish... Most of my best friends are Spanish, and my girlfriend's Spanish.
    We integrate.
    Ummmm.. you clearly haven't been to those Costa del Sol "British towns" there, where everyone speaks english, english street signs, fish and chip shops everywhere.

*shudder*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    You've really missed the point that the OP was trying to make. In fact, you've made a lot more generalizations than the OP, he never said it was the same for all indians. He was saying that in Britain, he doesn't think people should be able to excuse behaviour that conflicts British values and law 'because your Asian'.
    I think you might want to reword that :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciaran88)
    Ummmm.. you clearly haven't been to those Costa del Sol "British towns" there, where everyone speaks english, english street signs, fish and chip shops everywhere.

*shudder*
    To be fair - that is exactly what ethnic communities in London do (with their respective culture and language).

ReputationRep:

*shudder*
    Ummmm..you clearly haven't been to Brick Lane "Bangladesh everywhere" - everybody speaks Bengali, Bengali street signs, Halal butchers everywhere.

*shudder*

Who are you to say British people should be forced to integrate? Cultural imperialist

Surely the Spanish should enjoy the diversity? Aren't they bland racists for wanting integration?

ReputationRep:
    I think you might want to reword that :eek:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Ummmm..you clearly haven't been to Brick Lane "Bangladesh everywhere" - everybody speaks Bengali, Bengali street signs, Halal butchers everywhere.

*shudder*

Who are you to say British people should be forced to integrate? Cultural imperialist

Surely the Spanish should enjoy the diversity? Aren't they bland racists for wanting integration?
    I'm not particularly bothered either way, I was just pointing it out. Probably a mix of both is ideal, pluralism rather than integration.

(Original post by Boobies.)
    Why?
    What exactly are these "British values" and why should people follow them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)

*shudder*

All non-EU immigrants need to be able to speak English before they come here as well as fulfil all sorts of other criteria, Bangladesh is a former colony and English is taught in schools from an early age (as is the case with so many countries). English expats in Spain are EU citizens and therefore have free movement across the EU and don't need to fulfil any requirements in order to enter Spain. They also have full access to benefits whereas non-EU immigrants in the UK don't apart from the NHS. A bit different no?

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are these "British values" and why should people follow them?
    From the OP: - In a British context, British norms should be applied. And British norms dictate that you marry who you want and you have the right to dispute being hit by your family.

So, marrying who you want and having the right to dispute being hit by family members.

EDIT: I just felt the need to add, that I despise the way that the words "British Values" have been tarnished by the likes of the BNP and EDL - Just from your reaction, it's clear just how synonymous the phrase has become with racism and bigotry.
    To me, modern day British values are treating people fairly and with decency, acting courteously to others, accepting people and regardless of their skin colour, sexuality or gender, working hard, upholding the importance of the family unit, and maintaining a free society. Somehow, the meaning of those words - British Values - has become very lost and confused.

ReputationRep:
    Right, in that case as a celt I expect you to integrate with the native Briton culture of England and start speaking brythonic, after all you Anglo-Saxons are immigrants to our lands.
    Celts? Anglo-Saxons? We all intermarried, get over yourself. You don't even know what I am.

Also, there were people here before the Celts. No-one gives a crap about these ancient civilisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Celts? Anglo-Saxons? We all intermarried, get over yourself. You don't even know what I am.

Also, there were people here before the Celts. No-one gives a crap about these ancient civilisations.
    Exactly the point I was making :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As an Asian, I agree OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms14v07)
    why do even bother? it's not ur problem it's THEIR problem
    And this is why bad things happen

ReputationRep:
    This is not about justice it's about cultural differences.
    Imagine if arab people in Saudi have tried to make the white american people happy because of "sense of justice". i.e. they tried to stop fornication, drinking alcohol, adultery, gay relationships etc. What a british person thinks is justice does not have to be same to people of a different culture.
    I don't think you have a right to change their ways of living only because they live in the country of your ancestors. You can demand respect for yourself from them but cannot make them behave differently.

So that's what it is - their problem.
    Bull****. Justice is universal, and a difference in culture does not excuse having a horrid sense of morality. Don't by into this cultural relativism crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MapleBacon)
    I thought the word 'generalisation', in my initial post, would have made them pretty self-evidently clear. Looks like for you, it sadly isn't :rolleyes:
    A generalisation requires an implied majority, my statement had no such facet. Instead a made a comment about a very true fact, that we have all have had multiculturalism shoved down our throats from preschool, and then I have taken from that, that many people are now scared, or at least unsure of, questioning what they percieve to be legitimate 'culture'. If I'd said 'People are scared of being called racist', then maybe you would have had a point. But instead I said 'many people are afraid of saying such things because of..', or something to that effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    Bull****. Justice is universal, and a difference in culture does not excuse having a horrid sense of morality. Don't by into this cultural relativism crap.
    How come it's universal? Different countries have different laws for God's sake.
    May be u should fight problems of your own society first?

ReputationRep:

*shudder*
    Those are tourists, not immigrants.

But I share your shudder, and with disgust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    Justice and morals change depending on culture, time and needs, I'm afraid. There's no such thing as Universal morals.

ReputationRep:
    How come it's universal? Different countries have different laws for God's sake.
    May be u should fight problems of your own society first?
    They can have different laws, but it doesn't make them right.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.