Turn on thread page Beta

HOME, SWEET HOME: What foods do you miss when you're away? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pochi_X)
    It is hard not to like such pizza for a human being!

Are you actually a Human?

Or are you some other creature?
    I'm a grizzly bear, not enough bison on it for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    You are something different that's for sure lol

(Original post by rlw31)
    Where were you? Belgium?
    Yes. How on earth did you get that from peanut butter, Marmite, Angel Delight and UHT milk?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Yes. How on earth did you get that from peanut butter, Marmite, Angel Delight and UHT milk?!
    Lol, I have a good memory. I'm pretty sure I remember you posting about being in Belgium in the fitness section a while back. (A couple of years ago?)

I sometimes miss UHT milk from my time abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Crumpets. Yum.

ReputationRep:
    Bacon sandwiches (nothing like English bacon)
    Chunky chips
    Jaffa cakes
    branston pickle
    Heinz beans
    cadbury's

I guess just all the familiar brands/food in general. (Minus marmite, which is the devil's work)
    Everything tastes somewhat different in America.

ALSO they don't do spray deodorant. Why??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeh_jeh)
    So, I've just come back from a month in Italy, and since being home and rummaging through the fridge I've realised there's so many foods that only England have that I just can't be without.

My English must-haves are, in no particular order:

- Cadbury's Dairy Milk (you can get it abroad, but a lot of the time it doesn't taste the same and is ridiculously expensive)
    - Toast. The Italians have this weird, sugary bread (and I don't even mean brioche) that only comes in tiny pieces. Plus, the concept of a toaster just doesn't exist.
    - Proper tasting butter, which also happens to make toast problematic!
    - Tea. I did take tea bags with me, but still struggled to make a proper brew because the water and milk aren't the same. Plus, they don't have kettles, either.
    - Jacket potatoes. You can obviously theoretically make jacket potatoes, but they just don't have the proper fillings: Cheddar cheese doesn't exist, and the baked beans (in the ethnic section of the supermarket, rather hilariously) were £3 a can. Boo.
    - Marmite. Again, hideously expensive.
    - Roast potatoes. I mean, um, I guess I could have made them, but they don't have gravy, either!

What would you miss if you permanently moved abroad?

EDIT: And don't even get me started on foreign food: the Italians just have no concept of Indian/Chinese/Japanese.
    Wow, I thought this would be a TotoMimo thread... But yeah, for me smoothies and British Roast dinners :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in the States since I was 13, so six years now, and I did miss proper Cadbury's chocolate, Marmite and Yorkshire Tea (among other things) at first.

However, I don't have to miss anything these days, thanks to the British Corner Shop online, who ship British goodies to expats all over the world.

ReputationRep:
    Redwood bacon. And their fish fingers. Oh God and their Brussels Pate <3 Vegetarian meat substitutes don't seem to be common abroad :/ and Alpro Soya custard. I'd also miss proper bread, went to Gibraltar a couple of years ago and they kept trying to feed me brioche. I can't stand the stuff.

And tea cakes. They seem to be a very British thing.

ReputationRep:
    Full english breakfast, AND sambaar :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    :eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    When I'm in America, I miss decent tea, bread and cereal. And their apples are weird!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    When I was in Italy one of my flatmates went to London for a conference, I got him to bring me back some cheddar cheese :coma:

Italian bacon is just not the same

I got weird cravings for bread and butter pudding which I found very strange as it's something I'd rarely have at home

I quite liked the UHT milk in the end, but fresh tastes so much better!
    I found a European market towards the end of my stay - I've never been so happy to see cheddar cheese in my life!

Italian bacon is good for putting in pasta, and stuff, but absolutely useless for bacon sandwiches.

UHT is just weeeird.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.