Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Britain is not anti motorist, and we are no longer large car manufacturers. There are now no british owned car companies left.
    Britain still owns their car companies. It is that they are also being a part of a bigger automobile industry.

Jaguar Land Rover for instance is a UK based car manufacturing company however it is also being a part of TATA automobile industry in India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOAADI)
    Statistics simply state facts. It's the interpretation of them that can often be wrong.
    Not when they are fixed statistics or if they have not been worked out correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theclash...)
    Not when they are fixed statistics or if they have not been worked out correctly.
    What on earth is a "fixed statistic" in this context?

And how would you - in your infinite wisdom - be able to dispute the calculations unless you had access to the raw data? An error is an error. Big deal.

You just don't believe anyone or anything? Boy, is your life heading in the wrong direction early!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOAADI)
    What on earth is a "fixed statistic" in this context?

And how would you - in your infinite wisdom - be able to dispute the calculations unless you had access to the raw data? An error is an error. Big deal.

You just don't believe anyone or anything? Boy, is your life heading in the wrong direction early!
    Well obviously a fixed statistic is a statistic that is fixed :/

As for the part I have highlighted in red, I would love to see you in the future and see who is at what status at that point.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously a fixed statistic is a statistic that is fixed :/

As for the part I have highlighted in red, I would love to see you in the future and see who is at what status at that point.
    Seems like a bit of a circular argument to me. Black is black, because it's black!

So you dispute all "fixed" statistics as well, do you?

As for the future, there's nothing like blind optimism to give everyone a good laugh.

And since you seem to enjoy grammar lessons, I don't think you have used "status" in the correct way. I think you meant that you'd like to see who had achieved or acquired what status, rather than see "what status" we are at

I'd give you 8/10 for effort.

10/10 for entertainment value, though

ReputationRep:
    Since Alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNod)

On cyclists:

I work as a bus driver in the city with the highest proportion of cyclists in the UK and I see everyday how cyclists behave. On a daily basis I'll witness: cyclists pulling out of side roads in front of a bus without a glance, cyclists crossing side roads from a shared use pavement without looking, overtaking stationary vehicles without looking, cyclists simultaneously under- and overtaking a bus while pulling off, cycling down the wrong side of the road towards a bus, cycling with no lights with reduced visibility, cycling around a bus whilst it is manoeuvering around a difficult corner and much more.

I do my best to anticipate their behaviour and benevolently keep them safe (too much paperwork and mess). I know how some behave and how frustrating it can be, it's an issue that needs addressing with better education and enforcement. The same can be said for the general car driving public though, I see ignorant and reckless stunts pulled by drivers who I'm sure think of themselves as good drivers...
    How can you under and overtake at the same time? :confused:

Bus drivers can be just as bad as anybody else though. I was in a cycle lane once with a bus in the stop next to me (stationary), I was about halfway up the length of the bus when he decided to leave the stop, straight 'through' me. If I didn't speed up enough to bang on his window I would have been nicely squashed between the bus and 2 lanes of fast traffic (40mph). Clearly didn't look in his mirrors at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    How can you under and overtake at the same time? :confused:

Bus drivers can be just as bad as anybody else though. I was in a cycle lane once with a bus in the stop next to me (stationary), I was about halfway up the length of the bus when he decided to leave the stop, straight 'through' me. If I didn't speed up enough to bang on his window I would have been nicely squashed between the bus and 2 lanes of fast traffic (40mph). Clearly didn't look in his mirrors at all.
    To clarify, multiple cyclists under- and overtaking.

Drivers of any vehicle (and pedestrians, just yesterday I came round a blind corner at a junction to find to young mothers chatting in the middle of the road with pushchairs...) can be bad.

In regards to your incident, it sounds like you were in the bus' blindspot. All long vehicles have a blindspot on either side from behind the driver's position extending a few metres down the side of the vehicle. In this incident, it sounds like you were on the offside of the bus (right of the bus) in the blindspot and the driver should have looked over his right shoulder before pulling off.

If that's the case, it wasn't your fault and I'm on your side. You could have prevented this situation from happening with a bit of knowledge and 'defensive' cycling.

For your benefit:

NEVER wait (either side) beside a long vehicle (truck, bus, even panel vans have a huge blindspot) in stationary traffic. Wait behind out of the way until the vehicle has crossed any potential turns (or more often than not it will accelerate out of the way) or wait in front of the vehicle where it can see you properly.

READ the situation. A bus has pulled into a bus stop to unload/load passengers, what will the bus do next? Protect yourself by not putting yourself in a vulnerable situation.

Of course the driver will be liable if he hits you because of his poor observation but there are actions you can take to keep yourself safe and prevent incidents like that happening. Safe cycling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    They're built here, but we're slowly seeing production leave for other countries.
    Cars will always be built here as long as they're sold here. It doesn't make economic sense for manufacturers to construct their cars in other countries and then import them for sale here.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it really 'went wrong'.

The motor vehicle is not a mode of transport that we will be able to sustain forever, due to the depletion of natural resources. I'm no hippy or green environmentalist type whatsoever, but from purely a logical and economic viewpoint - you have to admit that at some point or other, we are going to run out of oil, and it isn't being helped by the huge amounts of fuel that we consume because of motoring. The economic consequences will be huge - the price of oil will skyrocket, thus the price of food will skyrocket (because most food has to be transported quite a long way to market), the price of everything that relies on transport will go up significantly when oil reserves dry up. It's global hyperinflation waiting to happen. Might not happen in our lifetimes, it might happen in ten years - I don't believe that the time scale makes it less significant.

However, if we put a global focus on moving to more sustainable modes of transport, then this reliance on oil will decrease, giving us more time to develop and perfect oil-free methods of transport, and thus somewhat avoid the meltdown that will ensue, or at least be able to cope with it a lot better.

I know it's not really a concern whatsoever for the modern motorist, but I just believe that we need to be a lot more responsible in our attitude to sustainable living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    I don't think it really 'went wrong'.

The motor vehicle is not a mode of transport that we will be able to sustain forever, due to the depletion of natural resources. I'm no hippy or green environmentalist type whatsoever, but from purely a logical and economic viewpoint - you have to admit that at some point or other, we are going to run out of oil, and it isn't being helped by the huge amounts of fuel that we consume because of motoring. The economic consequences will be huge - the price of oil will skyrocket, thus the price of food will skyrocket (because most food has to be transported quite a long way to market), the price of everything that relies on transport will go up significantly when oil reserves dry up. It's global hyperinflation waiting to happen. Might not happen in our lifetimes, it might happen in ten years - I don't believe that the time scale makes it less significant.

However, if we put a global focus on moving to more sustainable modes of transport, then this reliance on oil will decrease, giving us more time to develop and perfect oil-free methods of transport, and thus somewhat avoid the meltdown that will ensue, or at least be able to cope with it a lot better.

I know it's not really a concern whatsoever for the modern motorist, but I just believe that we need to be a lot more responsible in our attitude to sustainable living.
    Yes, exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNod)

In regards to your incident, it sounds like you were in the bus' blindspot. All long vehicles have a blindspot on either side from behind the driver's position extending a few metres down the side of the vehicle. In this incident, it sounds like you were on the offside of the bus (right of the bus) in the blindspot and the driver should have looked over his right shoulder before pulling off.

If that's the case, it wasn't your fault and I'm on your side. You could have prevented this situation from happening with a bit of knowledge and 'defensive' cycling.

For your benefit:

NEVER wait (either side) beside a long vehicle (truck, bus, even panel vans have a huge blindspot) in stationary traffic. Wait behind out of the way until the vehicle has crossed any potential turns (or more often than not it will accelerate out of the way) or wait in front of the vehicle where it can see you properly.

READ the situation. A bus has pulled into a bus stop to unload/load passengers, what will the bus do next? Protect yourself by not putting yourself in a vulnerable situation.

Of course the driver will be liable if he hits you because of his poor observation but there are actions you can take to keep yourself safe and prevent incidents like that happening. Safe cycling.
    Cheers, I do do all of that stuff.

I moved further out into the road so that he could see me better (I could see him in the mirror), and if I wasn't and already about to overtake I would have waited for him to pull off since it was a double decker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS17)
    Cars will always be built here as long as they're sold here. It doesn't make economic sense for manufacturers to construct their cars in other countries and then import them for sale here.
    it made economic sense for them to get rid of Rover production in britain, when we don't own the companies, there's always a risk it will happen again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    Britain still owns their car companies. It is that they are also being a part of a bigger automobile industry.

Jaguar Land Rover for instance is a UK based car manufacturing company however it is also being a part of TATA automobile industry in India.
    It's UK based, but it is no longer owned by british businessmen or even another british company. TATA own it, and could withdraw production at any point.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you think the council tax comes from?

Not only does it come from council tax payers but it comes from head government who takes the money from road tax.
    ... Which comes from the pot of general taxation, not just vehicle excise duty (again there's no such thing as "road tax")

ReputationRep:
    until i can ride my bicycle everywhere within cycle lanes then i'd say its a motorists country.

ReputationRep:
    Petrol Prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erich Hartmann)
    Its rather strange that Britain is still a major car producer but some some reason or another it's now one of the most anti-car and anti-motorist societies in all of Europe. I can understand a country like Switzerland being anti-car, many of their cities are in valleys and the rail network is one of the best in the world, even if you live in a remote alpine village chances are you could do without a car, they also don't have any car industries to speak off nor do they aspire to have one, the same can't be said about Britain.

I remember being in Britain in the 1980s and early 90s, it never had any type of anti-motorist attitudes we see as common today.

Wonder where it all went wrong?
    I think Jeremy Clarkson has done a lot to turn people against motoring...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Million dollar question. The way some councils are going widening pavements at the moment, we'll end up with a load more single track roads.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say Britain as a whole is anti-car, more like a small political elite that holds disproportionate influence over policymaking. And why? It's just an intellectual fad. From the 30s until the mid-60s, these technocrat-types loved cars and subsidised huge highway projects. Then they changed their minds. Maybe in another 20 years it'll have swung wildly back the other way. Hopefully they won't do too much damage in the meantime.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 1, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.