Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    That's the funny thing, nobody who does it is under the illusion that they're going to walk into a job as a trader. It's pretty simple really, it prepares you in theory and practice for elements of the media industry. If that's what you want to do, it isn't a bad call. Likewise, if you go into your average media company boasting of a mathematics degree, you won't look too clever. A good friend of mine went straight into a competitive PR position from it, so it's not that limited.

I don't reckon many people realize how high some of the grade requirements for media studies at certain unis is, either.

Really don't get why people care so much. The under-representation of students of vocational subjects on TSR probably accounts for some of the misconception.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    You lost me when you said that psychology was a joke subject. I need a psychology degree to go into the most competitive psychology field to earn £18K-£70K a year (obviously getting higher as I go along). Educational psychologists are starting at £21K a year, occupational psychologists starting at £18K - all needing BPS accredited psychology degrees
    And then you went on to say that English Lit was better than Media Studies, which it is, but it's still a joke subject.

If people wanna waste their money on something that isn't going to get them anywhere than that's their issue. But you still can't say that someone who does a degree that you consider to be a joke will not be able to get a good job and pay back their student loans plus a high rate of tax and it be more than worth the investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Now that every student who finishes a degree will be given 30-40k in debt from tuition fees, why the hell do the government allow them to do joke subjects?

The main point I'm trying to make. Is a lot of the stupider people who don't work hard who get C's to D's are going to do a joke subject like media studies or journalism. Then, now they will get £30k in debt and have noway to repay it. I don't even really want to do the Maths, but yeah going to have a ton of idiots with massive of debt from something that isn't worth the paper it is written on. How is this sensible? Literally having bad debt like this is one of the big reasons why the housing market in America collapsed causing the depression we are in i.e. basically giving someone a debt that they can't repay. Are Psychologist suddenly going to get well paying jobs such that they can pay off the stupid debt? no.

Lets look at Media studies. Everyone thinks it is a joke, employers think it's a joke. Yet now we going to have a ton of not the brightest of students doing a subject that will give little job prospects.

I'm not saying everyone should be studying Maths or Physics. However, clearly having people do English Lit instead of Media studies will benefit humanity more. Granted even having a bunch of Fine art students probably add more value to society even if most of them won't be able to get a job after doing it.

Taking 40k to do Media studies or any other joke subject i.e. sociology, archaeology, latin(note if from Oxbridge I suppose it worth the £40k, but still sort of a waste of intelligence studying a dead subject) e.t.c.

To many stupid students who are doing mickey mouse subjects. The sad thing is they are probably too stupid to realize that they are getting conned into doing a subject that will get them **** job prospects and are paying a lot for it.

P.S. Before the logically fallacy of attacking me, which nearly always happens. I'm not smart but I actually study really really hard(well, I'm naturally gifted at Fine art, but is studying Mathematics at uni). I don't know why the stupid people who do say sociology can't study really hard and do something useful like neuroscience or economics.

Just outta curiousity, would you call History & Politics a waste subject?

ReputationRep:
    i agree to an extent that some subjects(media studies) shouldnt be the same price as (medicine) but for different reasons.
    this is why i hate the decision to increase uni fees, actually i think people will be more likely now to take the subjects which will be more of a wise investment(engineering for example) rather than the "joke" subjects.
    anyways i disagree with you because i think these subjects do have an intrinsic value, and by studying these things will lead to progression in those fields in the future, even if they dont have an immediate application( i.e you could argue, rather than doing media studies,if somebody wanted a career in media it would be much worth their while just to get straight into it and work their way up but i reckon it is important having people study media for future developments in media )
    also some people might want to study because they enjoy the subject, and who are you to say what subject has value than any other? everything can be studied and the more you think about things the more likely progression. worth is subjective anyway and some people might not value money all that much.( but i do agree some people are going to uni kind of blindly)

ReputationRep:
    Are Psychologist Psychologists suddenly going to get well paying jobs such that they can pay off the stupid debt? no.
    What an ignorant statement.

These SHL and Kenexa tests that all these wannabe City high-flyers and Executives are having to go through, who designs and develops them? How much do you think they earn from developing these assessment centres?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    You lost me when you said that psychology was a joke subject. I need a psychology degree to go into the most competitive psychology field to earn £18K-£70K a year (obviously getting higher as I go along). Educational psychologists are starting at £21K a year, occupational psychologists starting at £18K - all needing BPS accredited psychology degrees
    And then you went on to say that English Lit was better than Media Studies, which it is, but it's still a joke subject.

If people wanna waste their money on something that isn't going to get them anywhere than that's their issue. But you still can't say that someone who does a degree that you consider to be a joke will not be able to get a good job and pay back their student loans plus a high rate of tax and it be more than worth the investment.
    You think English Lit is a joke subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Thats just an argument from ignorance. He could do lots of other things like computer programming, engineering, management, sales plus lots of other jobs. He needs to get more info.
    He does and he's been looking into it more, he changed his mind from Physics to Maths last minute so he's still researching,
    but my point is still valid, theres still just as many job opportunities in Psychology as in Maths.

oh and to the person that made the point about BPS degrees being needed, there's occuptational, clinical, forensic, sport and a few more that need BPS accrediation too, so I agree, the statment about psychology is ridicoulous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willo100)
    I completely take your point about a lot of students just going to University for the sake of it, but by attacking the subject of Media, when we currently have huge corporations in that market slowly taking over everything in our daily lives. Whether you like it or not, you are becoming increasingly governed by the way organisations like Google,Facebook,Apple etc. want you to live.
    So by saying the subject is almost a non-entity is way off the mark.
    But i do agree in some respects, and from people i have met in the past month or so, that perhaps some people need to look at what they really want to do in the future before doing media, just because they can.
    I think universities need to do something to make media more appealing to the elite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    But a lot of jobs do require a specific degree. Grads with degrees like engineering can get a job in the engineering sector like design as well as jobs that are not degree specific but those with MM degrees can only get jobs that doesn't require a specific degree thus reducing their chances of a job.
    Which is completely different to what you first said, i.e. that they have no job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es.

Can you, OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)

pffft have you taken English Literature, psychology is absolutely piss easy in comparison

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Police Arrest)
    Exactly, specific degrees are required for specific career routes. The 'joke' subject of media studies, for example, would open up television, films, advertising, PR and more, whereas an engineering degree probably wouldn't (or at least limit progress in those paths).
    The most successful people in PR and advertising aren't media studies grads, they are people with connections and Ivy League MBAs. You seem to be under the impression that a media studies degree teaches you something people from engineering or math backgrounds can't pick up. The fact is that an engineering degree gives factual knowledge and understanding that helps make good decisions in a specific set of jobs, whereas the success of a media studies grad is based entirely off creativity and following Twitter. The former is an inherent quality, not something that can be taught at university and the latter is just a matter of interest.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Which is completely different to what you first said, i.e. that they have no job prospects.
    The point is still valid.

ReputationRep:
    Now that every student who finishes a degree will be given 30-40k in debt from tuition fees, why the hell do the government allow them to do joke subjects?

The main point I'm trying to make. Is a lot of the stupider people who don't work hard who get C's to D's are going to do a joke subject like media studies or journalism. Then, now they will get £30k in debt and have noway to repay it. I don't even really want to do the Maths, but yeah going to have a ton of idiots with massive of debt from something that isn't worth the paper it is written on. How is this sensible? Literally having bad debt like this is one of the big reasons why the housing market in America collapsed causing the depression we are in i.e. basically giving someone a debt that they can't repay. Are Psychologist suddenly going to get well paying jobs such that they can pay off the stupid debt? no.

Lets look at Media studies. Everyone thinks it is a joke, employers think it's a joke. Yet now we going to have a ton of not the brightest of students doing a subject that will give little job prospects.

I'm not saying everyone should be studying Maths or Physics. However, clearly having people do English Lit instead of Media studies will benefit humanity more. Granted even having a bunch of Fine art students probably add more value to society even if most of them won't be able to get a job after doing it.

Taking 40k to do Media studies or any other joke subject i.e. sociology, archaeology, latin(note if from Oxbridge I suppose it worth the £40k, but still sort of a waste of intelligence studying a dead subject) e.t.c.

To many stupid students who are doing mickey mouse subjects. The sad thing is they are probably too stupid to realize that they are getting conned into doing a subject that will get them **** job prospects and are paying a lot for it.

P.S. Before the logically fallacy of attacking me, which nearly always happens. I'm not smart but I actually study really really hard(well, I'm naturally gifted at Fine art, but is studying Mathematics at uni). I don't know why the stupid people who do say sociology can't study really hard and do something useful like neuroscience or economics.
    Yawn. The Mickey Mouse Degree argument again. No degree is worthless if you know why you are doing it and what you want to do with it. Media studies could be very useful for somebody who knows what they want to do. Likewise, Physics could be absolutely useless for somebody who just likes physics but doesn't have a clue what they want to do with it.

Why will English Lit 'benefit humanity' more than Media Studies? Why are archeology, sociology and latin useless? I am studying sociology as part of my Speech Therapy degree and I believe that all medical professionals should study it. Archeology allows us to learn amazing things about our past. Everything has its place.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm to neg one post a month then this is what I'm going to neg. Any subject you do because of its graduate prospect automatically becomes a joke subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.O.Z.industries)
    Wow. You are such a bigot.
    Not everyone thinks that the meaning of life is money.

Not that I'm defending sociology as a subject, but you should really stop calling people who take it 'stupid'. If people want to take it, and are aware of whatever job prospects are available, then fair enough. People shouldn't be taking subjects they don't like.
    There obviously are jobs available through studying the sociology, which neither you or I for that matter are aware of. So before you start calling people stupid, you should get your facts straight.

May I just ask how English lit would be better for society than media studies? Surely it's the same argument with both. If we use your logic (lol), then how will the ability to analyse Shakespeare benefit the general public more than someone who understands the media process?
    English lit is a purely academic subject (I don't have an issue with those, in fact, I'm glad people are still taking subjects like that) whereas media studies is vocational, and if you know the right people can get you into the media business pretty quickly.
    I don't think people in the media business think media studies is a joke. I admit taking something like that is putting all your eggs into one basket, but some people are more inclined to taking risks than others.

Archaology? You think this is a 'joke' subject? Oh jeez! So archaology is a joke, but history isn't? If we had no archaeologists, we'd have no ancient history! And Latin!? I'm facepalming right now. I really am. Again, poor historians. If you had your way, they'd have nothing to work with.

By the way, if you took maths instead of art because of job prospects, the joke's on you. There are probably more job opportunities through art than any other profession!
    He sounds like an idiot who has just regurgitated stuff he's read on TSR, but he hasn't taken time to critically analyse each point.

I don't advocate studying some of the courses he mentioned at uni, but I think I'd have to come up with a substantial argument before posting about it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to do sociology and can see that it's an incredibly important subject - education is about helping the individual and society as a whole which pretty much all subjects do: all education helps our nation to become wiser, more understanding and more tolerant, thus all education is a positive. Besides, why do you care if they want to pay to study something they enjoy? Even if you disagree that it benefits society they have the right to pursue knowledge purely for the intrinsic value of learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    The most successful people in PR and advertising aren't media studies grads, they are people with connections and Ivy League MBAs. You seem to be under the impression that a media studies degree teaches you something people from engineering or math backgrounds can't pick up. The fact is that an engineering degree gives factual knowledge and understanding that helps make good decisions in a specific set of jobs, whereas the success of a media studies grad is based entirely off creativity and following Twitter. The former is an inherent quality, not something that can be taught at university and the latter is just a matter of interest.
    I think a lot of people don't realise about is media is a business just like any other and they need able and hard working people to compete in a tough business.

Most media degrees have pretty low A level requirements compared to traditional subjects and the course content is a not considered to be very challenging.

Not surprisingly, media companies want people who can find solutions and work hard, something media studies do not have a good rep in compared with degrees like History or Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Taking 40k to do Media studies or any other joke subject i.e. sociology, archaeology, latin

I don't know why the stupid people who do say sociology can't study really hard and do something useful like neuroscience or economics.
    The problem with this post is your idea of a joke subject is your opinion. Sociology is not turned down by employers; there are currently four sociologists in the houses of parliment.

Doing neuroscience instead of sociology? The two are completley different - sociology is a social science, but it's not actually scientific. It's closer to humanties in my opinion. That really did make you look like you have no idea what sociology is at all. (I don't do sociology by the way, but I do know what you learn about...nothing scientific at all)

I don't think archaeology and latin are joke subjects either, but I don't have any proof for that because I'm interested in neither.

Media...well...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.