Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Official 'I'm booked on to the TSR Ski & Snowboard Trip 2012' thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm booked in.

Although this year i think i'm going to try snowboarding since last time I came back from skiing in france it was in a wheelchair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Dooooo it!
    I think I'm 100% wanting to go, 60% there on finding the money without screwing myself up for borneo :o:

On a random note, the ski lifts aren't those scary ropes that you grab onto are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I think I'm 100% wanting to go, 60% there on finding the money without screwing myself up for borneo :o:

On a random note, the ski lifts aren't those scary ropes that you grab onto are they?
    It'll be a mixture of those and the chair lifts/gondolas.

(Original post by estel)
    It'll be a mixture of those and the chair lifts/gondolas.
    Unfortunately there are a few drag lifts but all the main slopes are served by bubbles, gondolas, chairs or something called 'the lobster pot', don't ask me what that is though?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K)
    Unfortunately there are a few drag lifts but all the main slopes are served by bubbles, gondolas, chairs or something called 'the lobster pot', don't ask me what that is though?!?
    Weird...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K)
    I used to work somewhere called The Lobster Pot in Liverpool... it was a fish and chip shop though, so unlikely to be related. :p:

Erm, perhaps this should be a thread for people thinking about booking, and then have a separate thread exclusively for members who have paid their deposit and committed to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valjean)
    I used to work somewhere called The Lobster Pot in Liverpool... it was a fish and chip shop though, so unlikely to be related. :p:

Erm, perhaps this should be a thread for people thinking about booking, and then have a separate thread exclusively for members who have paid their deposit and committed to it?
    I was thinking separate groups might be a good idea :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I was thinking separate groups might be a good idea :yy:
    a list of members going would be good too.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could afford it, not been skiing since 2010 and I'm getting withdrawal!
    Have fun everyone!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Seriously tempted although I haven't been skiing since I was 9 :hmmmm:
    Come on! You can't be as bad as me and Ice Skating *cowers*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock.and.rose)
    My boyfriend will be there too!
    look forward to seeing him too i'll start skiing with him

ReputationRep:
    I'm booked.

If anyone wants skiing hints/tips/general advice then feel free to ask either here or by PM. I'm a Canadian-trained ski instructor, have well over 20-weeks worth of experience across the Alps, Norway and North America.

I'm proof that even geeks can be cool[ish] on occasions

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the grand total so far?

Drewski I'm such a n00b that I wouldn't even know what to ask! F it, I'll learn as I go along...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I'm booked.

If anyone wants skiing hints/tips/general advice then feel free to ask either here or by PM. I'm a Canadian-trained ski instructor, have well over 20-weeks worth of experience across the Alps, Norway and North America.

I'm proof that even geeks can be cool[ish] on occasions
    Lessons with Drewski booked plz

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the grand total so far?

Drewski I'm such a n00b that I wouldn't even know what to ask! F it, I'll learn as I go along...
    Well, it doesn't need to be directly related to skiing, can be about salopettes, jackets, gloves, socks, thermals, etc etc...

And I don't know off-hand, only a couple so far, but it's still quite early. Wait till the week before the deadline, it'll go mental then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    Lessons with Drewski booked plz
    I'm not spreading myself too far, I'll take 2 or 3 people, tops. Get more 1-on-1 tuition and should get you out skiing 'properly' within a day or two.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it doesn't need to be directly related to skiing, can be about salopettes, jackets, gloves, socks, thermals, etc etc...

And I don't know off-hand, only a couple so far, but it's still quite early. Wait till the week before the deadline, it'll go mental then
    They would be pretty good q's actually

I need to get salopettes... what else will I need? and what's less necessary... I don't go too often so don't wana waste cash.

ReputationRep:
    They would be pretty good q's actually

I need to get salopettes... what else will I need? and what's less necessary... I don't go too often so don't wana waste cash.
    You can hire the stuff you need, but it'll have gone round the houses a bit and won't be that nice...
    Get on ebay and you can find all sorts of bargains if you're not too picky. A pair of salopettes is needed. Ski jacket is less crucial [I mean, could wear almost any kind of warmish waterproof coat without issues, doesn't need to a specific skiing one]. Gloves, again, can pick up some cheap ones without too much drama.
    Only place I would strongly encourage some money being spent is on the ski socks. Don't - for the love of God - get tube socks. Get proper socks, from a company like Smartwool [others are available]. Spend £15 on a pair, maybe 2 and you will reap the benefits.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm not spreading myself too far, I'll take 2 or 3 people, tops. Get more 1-on-1 tuition and should get you out skiing 'properly' within a day or two.
    thats a good plan, bagsy a place pl0x re our convo in the box yesterday? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    You can hire the stuff you need, but it'll have gone round the houses a bit and won't be that nice...
    Get on ebay and you can find all sorts of bargains if you're not too picky. A pair of salopettes is needed. Ski jacket is less crucial [I mean, could wear almost any kind of warmish waterproof coat without issues, doesn't need to a specific skiing one]. Gloves, again, can pick up some cheap ones without too much drama.
    Only place I would strongly encourage some money being spent is on the ski socks. Don't - for the love of God - get tube socks. Get proper socks, from a company like Smartwool [others are available]. Spend £15 on a pair, maybe 2 and you will reap the benefits.
    Ah that's awesome, cheers.

Never thought of ebay tbh, I'll stalk over the next few weeks. Daft question: are salopettes sized same as trousers? Borrowed my friends before so have no idea and don't want to order wrong.

You're gona need your own Q&A thread at this rate...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: August 22, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.