I am SICK of Americans... and Brits are turning into them :( Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lol_Fish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nascar sucks. It's simply a bunch of red necks, trying to impersonate F1, but failing rather hard, driving pieces of "trailer trash"around circles. And meh, I love it as Sulphur! but no, it has to be changed as Sulfur... and when you hear a American accented female say.. "OH MY GOD", I literally feel like thrusting my fist, across their face.. silencing the wretched creature.

Good for nothing, Americans.
adobe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Miryo)
Americans have a better way of life than Brits. Their culture is so much better, our culture is full of hatred, despite and jealousy. We have no moral values and drinking has become the only reason to live for many Brits. The closer we get to America the better.
rightttttttttttttttttttttttttt
DYKWIA
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lol_Fish)
Nascar sucks. It's simply a bunch of red necks, trying to impersonate F1, but failing rather hard, driving pieces of "trailer trash"around circles. And meh, I love it as Sulphur! but no, it has to be changed as Sulfur... and when you hear a American accented female say.. "OH MY GOD", I literally feel like thrusting my fist, across their face.. silencing the wretched creature.

Good for nothing, Americans.
Okay, firstly - nascar doesn't suck. Secondly, you are generalizing about our diverse country based on a few stereotypes. That's not bigoted at all...

(Original post by adobe)
rightttttttttttttttttttttttttt
We do have a great set of cultures.
Stilo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DYKWIA)
It's because we invented the internet.

why do american spelling affect you so much though? Seriously, get over it.
The World Wide Web (which you are using) was created by a Briton. Also @ the op, I don't understand the point of this thread, if preserving your accent was that important to you why wouldn't you just cease to view American media?

I understand that you're talking about a wider cultural issue and I guess the dissolution of your cultural identity (which apparently is entirely wrapped up in language and grammar) but cultural diffusion is impossible to stop, especially when talking about nations as closely allied as the U.S. and the U.K. I think the moral of this story is you're worrying over something you have no control over.
Last edited by Stilo; 6 years ago
Lol_Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay, firstly - nascar doesn't suck. Secondly, you are generalizing about our diverse country based on a few stereotypes. That's not bigoted at all...

We do have a great set of cultures.
You stated "YOUR" Opinion, I stated "MY" Opinion, If you don't like it.. well then, you've got an issue, with freedom of speech. And no, my opinion is not bigoted.
Lol_Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's because we invented the internet.

why do american spelling affect you so much though? Seriously, get over it.
Do you know who Tim Berners Lee is? Most likely not, as you've thought "Americans" invented the internet, when in fact... it was invented by a British scientist. Stop stating counter factual statements.
DYKWIA
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You stated "YOUR" Opinion, I stated "MY" Opinion, If you don't like it.. well then, you've got an issue, with freedom of speech. And no, my opinion is not bigoted.
You generalize about our country and seem to dislike it based on simplistic, untrue stereotypes. That's bigoted to me.

Do you know who Tim Berners Lee is? Most likely not, as you've thought "Americans" invented the internet, when in fact... it was invented by a British scientist. Stop stating counter factual statements.
I thought he was American, because when I heard about him all I heard was that he lived in MA. Also, I thought the internet was a US DOD project?
Lol_Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You generalize about our country and seem to dislike it based on simplistic, untrue stereotypes. That's bigoted to me.
First of all, I'm not generalising, I'm expressing my opinion about this topic. Second of all, I'm not insulting "your" country, but I'm referring to the country, at which you reside.

I thought he was American, because when I heard about him all I heard was that he lived in MA. Also, I thought the internet was a US DOD project?
"I thought the hydrogen bomb would cause no harm" No comment.
DYKWIA
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
First of all, I'm not generalising, I'm expressing my opinion about this topic. Second of all, I'm not insulting "your" country, but I'm referring to the country, at which you reside.
It is my country (along with the other 300 million Americans.). We contribute to our country in one way or another so we can all claim to be a part of it.

"I thought the hydrogen bomb would cause no harm" No comment.
What's that supposed to mean? Nuclear weapons brought a swift end to WWII and helped save many American and Japanese lives that would have been lost in a costly invasion.
Lol_Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is my country (along with the other 300 million Americans.). We contribute to our country in one way or another so we can all claim to be a part of it.
You assert that fact that it's your country, well tbf if it is, do you have any lawful documentation, that shows "YOUR" ownership, to the natural landscape?

What's that supposed to mean? Nuclear weapons brought a swift end to WWII and helped save many American and Japanese lives that would have been lost in a costly invasion.
That's got to be pretty uproarious. You don't understand the irony, of what I wrote. -Laughs-
takethyfacehence
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh stfu.

Also, everyone who is saying OH NOES THEY'RE AMERICANIZING IT ALL OH NOES LOOK AT THE -IZE IN THE WORD!!!11 :
Many regard -ize as American English, though it has been in use in English since the 16th century.
Source
DYKWIA
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You assert that fact that it's your country, well tbf if it is, do you have any lawful documentation, that shows "YOUR" ownership, to the natural landscape?
It's not my land. Public land belongs to all Americans.

That's got to be pretty uproarious. You don't understand the irony, of what I wrote. -Laughs-
I'm really confused. I still don't see what was ironic about what you wrote. Do you even know what irony is?
winning11
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by adobe)

pronouncing the word "better" like "beller"
more "bedder" than beller,

but i don't really have anything to add to your rant except maybe a better insight on america's influence of britain rather than just youtube..?

:chaplin:
Lol_Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not my land. Public land belongs to all Americans.
It is my country

I'm really confused. I still don't see what was ironic about what you wrote. Do you even know what irony is?
-Continues to laugh-
Pwn4g3_P13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One english person hardly qualifies as inventing the internet. The US invented the computer...and youtube. If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to read youtube comments. Of course, you could always learn our spellings, 'improved english' as I say .
You have to wonder about an American who spends a lot of his time going onto a UK forum for no reason other to than seemingly troll about how good america is? indeed, even subscribing to the site just to continue

anyway OP

Firstly, who the hell actually reads youtube comments?
Secondly, ass is an english insult - go read some shakespeare
Thirdly - English speakers on the web are outnumbered 3-1 by other languages - mainly chinese - youtube is one website.
Last edited by Pwn4g3_P13; 6 years ago
adobe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Pwn4g3_P13)
You have to wonder about an American who spends a lot of his time going onto a UK forum for no reason other to than seemingly troll about how good america is?

anyway OP

Firstly, who the hell actually reads youtube comments?
Secondly, ass is an english insult - go read some shakespeare
Thirdly - English speakers on the web are outnumbered 3-1 by other languages - mainly chinese - youtube is one website.
youtube comments? i said videos not comments what are u on ?

and ass as a donkey is an english insult, ass as a backside is american.
DYKWIA
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pwn4g3_P13)
You have to wonder about an American who spends a lot of his time going onto a UK forum for no reason other to than seemingly troll about how good america is? indeed, even subscribing to the site just to continue

anyway OP
I like the UK, would like to study there. I just can't help myself when someone makes insulting comments about the US. :P I can be defensive sometimes.
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by blu tack)
fixed.
(Original post by lk2011)
Oh I see, sorry! I'm guessing you're from the north then... how do you guys pronounce it? Do they sound very different to eachother? Because if they do I'm not really getting the OP's point about spelling.
People in the South most definitely do not pronounce "arse" and "ass" the same way - far from it. The first has a strong "r" sound, the other a strong "ssss" sound, completely different. I have no idea where these English people who pronounce them the same are from.
Pwn4g3_P13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by adobe)
youtube comments? i said videos not comments what are u on ?

and ass as a donkey is an english insult, ass as a backside is american.
dunno where i got comments from then. but whatever - American site has mostly american users - go figure

and i would bet money that ass as backside came from the shakespearean insult.
Lucid Reality
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
no a lot of us say "be- 'er", the americans will say "bedder".

american accents annoying? Mmm I find american girls a lot more attractive because of their accent
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (39)
97.5%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (1)
2.5%

Watched Threads