Turn on thread page Beta

Does anybody not have Facebook or has left Facebook recently? watch

ReputationRep:
    How can one think of leaving facebook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissyox)
    Deactivated my Facebook recently. Finding it really boring and tedious, it's the same people who status everyday!
    That's true. I haven't been on Facebook for years.

ReputationRep:
    I hate facebook so much but for some crazy reason I still go on it every day.
    I've gone through stages of deactivating/reactivating etc, and I even deleted it properly last year, but then made a new account like 3 weeks later due to boredom.
    Everything is set to "Only Me" privacy as I just don't really fancy taking part in the whole "appear to look cool on your profile by posting lots of pictures and statuses"
    I only use it to contact people who's emails/phone numbers I don't have, and for work: I have an important page to manage which is vital for promoting a business I'm involved in.
    I really want to deactivate it now, but I'm only keeping it because I'm responsible for managing that page...
    I have half a mind to create a new account with 0 friends, set it as admin for the page and then deactivate my other one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bff)
    I'm investigating a new trend into people leaving Facebook for good.

Is there anyone on here who doesn't have Facebook? Or has left it recently?

What reasons would you leave/did you leave?
    I completely deleted, rather than deactivated, it around June time cos it was another way to procrastinate instead of study and it's boring and repetitive listening to every detail of other people's lives IN ADDITION I talk to all my friends who I care about staying on touch with face to face anyways so it's not that necessary. Maybe I'll make another account when I start uni but for now it's just useless.

ReputationRep:
    I only got it after my girlfriend asked me too. I've only really added the people at uni who I actually see often. I have a growing list of friend requests, some of them I know from secondary school/college but cba to add, but a fair few are only adding me because we have a "mutual friend", I don't know them at all!

but I only really use it to organise an event with people. It is very useful for that, though obviously sending a mass text isn't much more difficult, being able to quickly post more information on facebook is a lot easier as you're not having to read everyone's separate texts and such.

ReputationRep:
    Never had it. I thought it was going to 'die' like Bebo so I didn't get it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an account as I prefer people to get to know me in real life. I haven't got the time to faff around updating my status every 5 minutes and "liking" things.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook wastes so much of my time But I have loads of friends on there who I wouldn´t have any contact with otherwise, so I keep it

ReputationRep:
    I don't have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tapner)
    I hardly ever use it anymore. Twitter is much better in my opinion.
    ok, but why do you use twitter then? are you som important that everybody should know what you are up to? what about meeting people in real life and tell them? this is much more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calabria)
    I've lived in many different cities all around my life. I've got friends all over the globe. Facebook is definitely the easiest way to keep in touch, I always kind of know what is going on in their life and what do they do. And then sometimes we just happen to be both in the same city and we can just meet and catch up.
    I often do the usual cleaning but I've never deactivated my account, and im not even thinking about tit.
    I do have issues with their privacy setting. Although Im already double checking everything before I press ok, I know that my personal info does and will leak. But I guess it's the price to pay for keeping in touch.
    I agree. I am a student living abroad and facebook helps me and my family keep up to date with each other.

ReputationRep:
    I am seriously considering deleting it.

I considered deleting it before I came to uni, or at least deleting a load of people from it, but I contented myself with a mass clear up of my friends list and kept the facebook so I could talk to my friends from school. But now at uni, there seems to be one or two people that are constantly seeking attention on it and causing drama and the constant negativity and arguments bring me down.

ReputationRep:
    You have to have it at uni because of all the society stuff etc.

ReputationRep:
    I made an account a week ago, I deleted it today
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I deleted mine for good a few months ago.
    Too much drama (a friend's boyfriend broke up with her over FB and stuff like that), and it was boring and stuff.

Anyway. I do sometimes get skipped over when people are inviting other people out or whatever (they tend to scan the friend list and send a mass message out), but other than that my life is no different.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have it Jan-September this year, got my friends to change my password because I was genuinely addicted and wanted to see if I could do it. I only went back on it because I did this scholarship summer school thingy with like 60 other people from all over the world and it would have been impossible to keep up with them otherwise. Facebook has also been a nice extension of TSR with getting to know other Oxford applicants...I probably won't delete it again but it'd be nice to go on it less, actually...

ReputationRep:
    I've never had one and I don't think I ever will. I'm quite content with keeping in contact with my friends through calling them, texting them and seeing them in college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    I made an account a week ago, I deleted it today
    lack of friends ?

ReputationRep:
    I never used to frequent Facebook that much. I still don't in comparison with other sites. I once took a long term break from it because of some pricks finding it a good idea to abuse someone for no apparant reason!

Although I came to my senses and realised that I shouldn't run away from Facebook because of a few people.

ReputationRep:
    facebook is just for social life i geuss, but it's a way to find out which friends really are your friends not just 'mutual friends' i mean if you dont have facebook and they still keep in touch,and manage to meet up and still talk to you then yu know who your actual friends are not just random people on a page for the sake of it. which is why i dont have fb anymore, cos thinking about it it's pretty pointless and wastes sooo much of your time.

i still have many friends and still manage to not be bored on the internet so it's all gooood and its easier for me to revise now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.