Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medhopeful696969)
    Huh?

Mourinho won the CL semi.

Mourinho won the Copa del Rey final.
    (Original post by CB91)
    Ok, so including the CL semi-final, Mourinho has won 2 out of 9, aswell as loosing a semi-final to Guardiola aswell. Mourinho also has arguably the stronger squad.
    What is this nonsense? When did RM beat Barca in the CL semi-finals? I certainly don't remember this and I'm pretty sure it's not true. If you're referring to last year they lost at the Bernabeau and RM could only snatch a draw at the nou camp when then needed that 2 goal win.

The only time I do remember RM beating Barca is in extra-time in the Copa Del Rey final last year.

Past evidence suggests Barca will win this - I can't actually remember the last time Real beat them in the league. But obviously this Mourino team is a little different; favourites to win this fixture for the first time in a very very long time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    What is this nonsense? When did RM beat Barca in the CL semi-finals? I certainly don't remember this and I'm pretty sure it's not true. If you're referring to last year they lost at the Bernabeau and RM could only snatch a draw at the nou camp when then needed that 2 goal win.

The only time I do remember RM beating Barca is in extra-time in the Copa Del Rey final last year.

Past evidence suggests Barca will win this - I can't actually remember the last time Real beat them in the league. But obviously this Mourino team is a little different; favourites to win this fixture for the first time in a very very long time...
    When Mourninho was with Inter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    When Mourninho was with Inter.
    I'm not even going to try to fathom how that has anything to do with el clásico...

ReputationRep:
    If it's like any of the El Clasicos earlier this year (when RM won the Copa) then I am expecting a bore-fest tbh. Messi taking on the whole Madrid defence was the best bit, the rest of the game was full players rushing to the ref every time Sergio B hit the deck. Hopefully Barca will raise the antee due to Madrid's sudden rush of form this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    I'm not even going to try to fathom how that has anything to do with el clásico...
    I didnt even bother either. That guy obviously has a massive crush on Mourinho and claims he's the best ever, despite the fact he's been outperformed by Guardiola.

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait for this, im actually quietly confident barca will get the result, it'll be interesting to see the lineups, both Higuain and Benzema started misweek against Ajax so theres no clue which, if either, will start against Barca. Many midfield decisions to be made by Mourinho, dont see Pepe moving up there with Carvalho out, is Marcelo fit? If he is id imagine itd be a Coentrao-Alonso midfield, maybe Lass/Khedira depending on what Mourinho is playing for, if Marcelo isnt it could mean Coentrao at LB with Alonso-Lass midfield, or Arbeloa at LB with Coentrao and Alonso in midfield with Lass at RB, or maybe Ramos at RB with Albiol at cb? my god so many ways they line up.

Be interesting to see if pep goes 343 or 433, or basically, whether cesc starts or not, he certainly has merit to start giving his goal scoring form recently, and with Villas apparent inability to be 1/5 of the man he was at Valencia cescs contribution to scoring could be vital, im assuming Alexis will start, 3 in his last 2 and much more to his game than villa. Pedro pplayed well on wednesday but I dont think his match fitness will be good enough, And theres no chance Cuenca will be thrown into such a big game, regardless of how well hes done.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's unlikely that Pep will go 3-4-3 against Madrid, seeing as they will get raped on the counter.

I reckon we'll see a standard back four of Abidal - Pique - Puyol/Mascherano - Alves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I didnt even bother either. That guy obviously has a massive crush on Mourinho and claims he's the best ever, despite the fact he's been outperformed by Guardiola.
    Where did I say Mourinho was the best ever?

Don't you worry, Mourinho will go down as the best ever, even if he isn't it yet, and he will beat Guardiola, this weekend, in the Liga standings, on his way to the CL, and in the list of great managers.

(Original post by Ree69)
    CB91 said 'they've met 7 times and Mourinho has only won once'.

Which was incorrect, so I corrected him.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's going to be a really tight and possibly a cagey match. Expecting red cards, controversy and a lot of dives. Hope Real win though.

ReputationRep:
    Could Sahin play or is he not ready for a game of this intensity? With a midfield of Diarra-Alonso-Khedira, the only brilliant creativity Madrid has is in Xabi. The other two are ball winners. They need to bring in one more creative player (one DM is enough).

On the other hand, Barca could field Busquets-Xavi-Cesc with Iniesta on the left wing, this game could be won and lost in midfield tbh...

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but a son apparently killed his father after a row about el Classico.

As for the match, I think Barca will sneak a win - they're calmer, and Madrid will be too fired up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    This doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but a son apparently killed his father after a row about el Classico.

As for the match, I think Barca will sneak a win - they're calmer, and Madrid will be too fired up.
    Ridiculous, football is only a game and people need to realise this. That happening also confirms the fact that El Clasico is the most fierce derby in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Ridiculous, football is only a game and people need to realise this. That happening also confirms the fact that El Clasico is the most fierce derby in the world.
    No. It cannot be used as a comment for the fierceness of the game. It only confirms that there are psychos among us on this planet.

And besides, River - Boca is fiercer.

ReputationRep:
    No. It cannot be used as a comment for the fierceness of the game. It only confirms that there are psychos among us on this planet.

And besides, River - Boca is fiercer.
    I think Fenerbahce - Galatasaray would be up there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Could Sahin play or is he not ready for a game of this intensity? With a midfield of Diarra-Alonso-Khedira, the only brilliant creativity Madrid has is in Xabi. The other two are ball winners. They need to bring in one more creative player (one DM is enough).

On the other hand, Barca could field Busquets-Xavi-Cesc with Iniesta on the left wing, this game could be won and lost in midfield tbh...
    Creativity is not superior to solid defense work, it´s different. Besides Madrid's wingers and Özil tend to be the creative playmakers, Alonso is more of a link-up player between offense and defense.

PS: The Classico is not a real derby. It also lacks the potential for escalation that many real derbies still have, because the rivalry between Madrid and Barcelona is mainly down to sucess nowadays. The days where this game had any real political or social relevance are long gone. The news article about the guy who shot his father only proves that some people are insane. He´s from Angola, I doubt he even has any close connection to either club and the headline is also misleading because it reduces the conflict to football (even though the article states that they argued over other things as well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I think Fenerbahce - Galatasaray would be up there too.
    Yeah, definitely. El Classico is a great game, but it's by no means 'the fiercest derby'.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, definitely. El Classico is a great game, but it's by no means 'the fiercest derby'.
    I bet you wouldn't 1-2 miss it though

ReputationRep:
    It's probably got the most meaning around it (couldnt think of a better way to put that), with the political history around it, and that it has near enough decided La Liga and some cup competitions for the last 2 years.

But you're right, its not the most fierce derby. Some games you wouldnt even want to go to they are that hostile (Boca - River, Partizan - Red Star, Roma - Lazio, etc).

ReputationRep:
    FAK ORF no way is madrid gonna win, its either a draw with barca holding 70% posession or a win for barca, i got money on this!!!

ReputationRep:
    Will Mou play with 3 DMs and concede possession to Barca? Thus having to play on the counter....

We know Barca won't spring [m]any surprises. They'll just do what they do.

They need to win. Madrid want to win.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 11, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.