Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you floss every day? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you floss everyday?
    Yes
    16.44%
    No
    83.56%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    Once a day is still good :yep: If I lack time I will just make sure to do it at night because that's after I have had food during the day.
    You should only floss once a day otherwise you might agitate the gums which can lead to further problems.

ReputationRep:
    I don't floss at all, the idea of it makes me shudder, isn't it painful???? I brush and use mouthwash and I only have 2 fillings and am normally in and out the dentists in 5 mins with a checkup so I dunno if floss is even really necessary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    I don't floss at all, the idea of it makes me shudder, isn't it painful???? I brush and use mouthwash and I only have 2 fillings and am normally in and out the dentists in 5 mins with a checkup so I dunno if floss is even really necessary?
    Why would it be painful? Is it painful when you touch your gums? If not, then there shouldn't be a problem because all you are doing is gently rubbing along the teeth and gum to coerce remnants of food out.

The very fact that you have 2 fillings would suggest that something is, or was, wrong with your oral hygiene routine.

I spend:

5-7 minutes brushing my teeth
    10 minutes flossing
    3-6 minutes cleaning my tongue

Whenever I go to the dentist they always comment on how well I look after my teeth, which is an endorsement for my regime.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Yes, you can prefer floss when required i.e., when you feel that small bits of food in your teeth. Not required daily.

ReputationRep:
    mate i dont even brush them everday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    Why would it be painful? Is it painful when you touch your gums? If not, then there shouldn't be a problem because all you are doing is gently rubbing along the teeth and gum to coerce remnants of food out.

The very fact that you have 2 fillings would suggest that something is, or was, wrong with your oral hygiene routine.

I spend:

10 minutes flossing

Whenever I go to the dentist they always comment on how well I look after my teeth, which is an endorsement for my regime.
    I'm sorry that is just mental... the dentist also tells me that my teeth are fine, and I spend no more than 7 minutes doing my teeth each morning and evening

ReputationRep:

I spend:

10 minutes flossing
    :eek: Do you have OCD?

No it's not painful unless you have gingivitis then you'll agitate the gums. But if you've got a healthy mouth (which you seem to) then it's fine

ReputationRep:
    do it carefully and no it isn't painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rac1)
    do it carefully and no it isn't painful.
    Hm maybe not I spose if people actually do it every day it can't be that bad, it's just one of those things that gives me the creeps, like nails on a blackboard u know?

ReputationRep:
    Hm maybe not I spose if people actually do it every day it can't be that bad, it's just one of those things that gives me the creeps, like nails on a blackboard u know?
    try interdental brushes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightingale)
    Well well but plaque-induced gingivitis will build up - toothbrushes can't clean in between teeth like floss does.
    Are you a dentist? Cause what I'm saying is backed up by one.
    And I'm not 35 that number was just me tryina say 'you'll lose your teeth earlier'
    Speculation.

You're "backed up by" a dentist, yet you spout things like that?

:lol:.

You certainly will not lose your teeth if you do not floss, aslong as you brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes (an estimate for thoroughness) and have a reasonable diet (not one full of an excessive amount of sugar etc).

ReputationRep:
    I do it now and again but I hate the feeling I get afterwards which actually puts me off doing it.

ReputationRep:
    7 days left for voting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    :eek: Do you have OCD?

Erm, how would that be a sign of OCD? If I brushed my teeth several times (>2) a day, then you may have a point. As it is, I have a fairly ordinary oral regime.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, how would that be a sign of OCD? If I brushed my teeth several times (>2) a day, then you may have a point. As it is, I have a fairly ordinary oral regime.
    I personally wouldn't call it "ordinary", so you do all of that twice a day? Impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    I personally wouldn't call it "ordinary", so you do all of that twice a day? Impressive.
    No. I brush my teeth and clean my tongue twice a day, but floss once.

There is no reason to floss in the morning.

Edit: It might not be 'ordinary', but that's because British people have terrible oral hygiene.

ReputationRep:
    The results were what I expected see those shiny white teeth

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.