Olympic Swimming Thread Watch

Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
It's been tradition for so long now I can't see it changing, which events would you take out?
Medley events? Whoever decided to include them at the olympics must've run out of ideas!
Benniboi1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is there a 4x200m? I know there's a 4x100 and 4x400 but I can't remember if theres a 200m relay..
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Benniboi1)
I think it is ridiculous that someone can come away with 8 golds from one Olympics from swimming events. Bolt maybe could attempt the long jump and triple jump or even hurdles but they're all a lot more different than just doing different strokes in swimming so I doubt anyone could get a jumping AND running gold at the same games.
Carl Lewis got 100, 200, 4x100 and long jump at LA in 1984, so it isn't totally unheard of.

Nearly did the same minus the 200 at 1991 World Champs, but Mike Powell broke the WR.
roh
Rep:
?
(Original post by notnek)
Medley events? Whoever decided to include them at the olympics must've run out of ideas!
I agree with that to an extent, in that it's usually the case for the swimmer who wins a medley to swim other events, though not always the case. Though there is a paralell in the decathlon/heptathlon.

Medley relay I think isn't a bad idea, though the US does always win it.

Is there a 4x200m? I know there's a 4x100 and 4x400 but I can't remember if theres a 200m relay..
In swimming or athletics?

Swimming has 4x100 and 4x200 freestyle, with a 4x100 medley too.

Athletics has the 4x1 and 4x4 but no 4x2.
py0alb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
The strokes are similar, but modern swimming has made that so (notably with underwater kick becoming vital for all of fly, free and back) and it wasn't always the case. There was no one like Spitz until Biondi, possibly, and then Phelps. Now we have 2 at once in Phelps and Lochte.

Also, breastroke is totally different. The only breastroker I can think of with any international success outside breast is Eric Shanteau, who got a bronze in the 200IM in 2009.

It's been tradition for so long now I can't see it changing, which events would you take out?
Tradition maybe, but I don't think tradition is ever a very good reason for doing silly things.

Honestly, I would take out everything apart from freestyle. I would probably then replace some of the events with some new events, eg:

apparently breast stroke is the fastest underwater stroke, whereas backstroke is the only way to pull something along. So introduce an event that involves a degree of underwater swimming (underwater hurdles?) and another that involves pulling something. This way, learning breaststroke and backstroke are still useful techniques with a specific purpose, not just "do this stroke for the sake of doing this stroke".
Benniboi1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Carl Lewis got 100, 200, 4x100 and long jump at LA in 1984, so it isn't totally unheard of.

Nearly did the same minus the 200 at 1991 World Champs, but Mike Powell broke the WR.
Was it as competitive back then as it is now? It just seems like if you want to win the 100m then you have to almost drop everything else and just focus on that.
Benniboi1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
In swimming or athletics?

Swimming has 4x100 and 4x200 freestyle, with a 4x100 medley too.

Athletics has the 4x1 and 4x4 but no 4x2.
Sorry yeah I meant Athletics.

Is there any reason why there isn't a 4x200m?
fudgesundae
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)

Don't think it would be the same though. Carl Lewis was a long jumper who started sprinting, not the other way round.
Marlo Stanfield
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
Tradition maybe, but I don't think tradition is ever a very good reason for doing silly things.

Honestly, I would take out everything apart from freestyle. I would probably then replace some of the events with some new events, eg:

apparently breast stroke is the fastest underwater stroke, whereas backstroke is the only way to pull something along. So introduce an event that involves a degree of underwater swimming (underwater hurdles?) and another that involves pulling something. This way, learning breaststroke and backstroke are still useful techniques with a specific purpose, not just "do this stroke for the sake of doing this stroke".
well I think we can rest assured that's never going to happen

the only change that's coming in swimming is the women's 8 shifting to the men's 15 hundred
Toppy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
100 free look out for James Magnussen (AUS) and errrm Magnussen really. He's that much better! Nathan Adrian (USA), James Roberts (AUS) and Cielo (BRA) are the other that come to mind. If you swim a lot to give you an idea of the speed of these guys Magnussen's PB from earlier this year is 47.10.

Women's 200 fly probably Ellen Gandy, genuine Brit medal hope.

200 breast. Kosuke Kitajima (Japan), probably the greatest breastroker ever, and his big rival Daniel Gyurta (Hungary). Kitajima's team mate Ryo Tateshi is also pretty good.

Men's 4x200. Sadly a lot of the big stars (notably Phelps and Lochte) will likely be rested for the Heats but Yannick Agnel may be swimming for the French team. USA, France and China are the squads to watch out for.

Very jealous!
Thanks! That's really useful
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So Lochte doesnt medal today, where are the peope heralding him as the best swimmer now. Never count Phelps out and at the moment Agnel and Sun Yang seem like the swimmers of the competition so far...
ss770
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I said at the beginning that Ruta from Lithuania was one to watch!! AMAZING 15 and Olympic Champion!!
extom
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
more empty seats tonight at the swimming
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Woohoo Steph Rice through to the finals
bodie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by johnharris19944)
Woohoo Steph Rice through to the finals
Happy for her, what sort of press is she getting is Aus?

Very happy for Hannah Miley too! She's so sweet, I just want to give her a big hug when I see her smile.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bodie)
Happy for her, what sort of press is she getting is Aus?

Very happy for Hannah Miley too! She's so sweet, I just want to give her a big hug when I see her smile.
People here know shes injured but some have been very supportive whilst others have been pretty negative or disappointed. A lot of idiots as well saying shes let Australia down. She got some good press the day after once everyone had a chance to think about it and realized she tried her hardest.
roh
Rep:
?
I'm going to try and be balanced, but at the same time as a big swimming fan I can't help wanting it to have as many events as possible for me to watch!

(Original post by py0alb)

Breast stroke is the only one of the 4 strokes possible underwater. However, the fastest way of moving underwater (if you're good) is to do fly kick. Adding hurdles to this wouldn't make any difference to be honest, guys like Ryan Lochte and Liam Tancock who have world class underwaters would go over them with a slight flick of the ankles.

The problem with underwater racing is safety. Naturally there's a huge advantage to staying down, that you don't waste time swimming vertically not horizontally, thus encouraging them to go dangerously far without oxygen.

The stroke on your back that you use in lifesaving for pulling people is very different to that we saw Matt Grevers & Co doing tonight, and this is kind of covered already by life saving competitions.

Was it as competitive back then as it is now? It just seems like if you want to win the 100m then you have to almost drop everything else and just focus on that.

Sorry yeah I meant Athletics.

Is there any reason why there isn't a 4x200m?
I'm just a casual athletics fan but I imagine so, the 100m has always been the blue riband event and sprinters were willing to take gambles with their health through steroid abuse in the 80s which suggests it was still very competitive and worth their while to win. Not that much, Bolt won 3 of those in Beijing and Michael Johnson did 200, 400, 4x400 in Atlanta so it's not unheard of to win multiple sprint events. Lots of sprinters seem to double up the 100 and 200, notably Bolt and Blake at the moment.

Not sure why that is, anyone with more athletics knowledge have any idea?

(Original post by fudgesundae)
Don't think it would be the same though. Carl Lewis was a long jumper who started sprinting, not the other way round.
Right, but isn't it pretty common in sports to realise the skills you have developed for one event translate well to another? I don't see how Lewis is different to Phelps being a fly swimmer who started doing freestyle; Lochte with backstroke; Chris Hoy being a kilo rider who took up the Keirin and sprint; Wiggins being a pursuiter who took to the road; Carolina Kluft moving from heptathlon to the individual jumping events etc.
roh
Rep:
?
So Lochte doesnt medal today, where are the peope heralding him as the best swimmer now. Never count Phelps out and at the moment Agnel and Sun Yang seem like the swimmers of the competition so far...
Ye Shiwen?! Muffat could be too if she does the 200 400 double. Lochte could still win 3 individual golds, not too shabby!
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Ye Shiwen?! Muffat could be too if she does the 200 400 double. Lochte could still win 3 individual golds, not too shabby!
Yeah true I said that before she won again today haha. Seen people have already started accusing her of doping?
roh
Rep:
?
Yeah true I said that before she won again today haha. Seen people have already started accusing her of doping?
Yeah some US coach, John Leonard, compared her to the old East Germans.

People are acting like she's come out of nowhere, but she blew the field away last year with an insane freestyle in the 200 IM, that at only 16 she's continued to make quite big improvements isn't a massive shock, and her technique is sublime.

No one questioned Phelps at 15 or started yelling doping the second Missy Franklin emerged so it smacks hypocrisy to suddenly decide that Ye is definitely doping with no evidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.6%
No (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads