Do you have a serious phobia? Watch

kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spiders. I know it seems cliche, I'm not sure where it came from but I think it might have started when I stood on a wasp as a child and it stung me. Apparently I was fine with spiders as a baby.

(Original post by Rarar)
I once froze in fear when I saw one and couldn't move.
I had this too, when someone tried to make me go in to a room where there was a spider but I didn't know where. For me it's kind of odd... though it is an irrational fear, it's a lot to do with control. So I can deal with a small spider (money) being in the room, or even near me if I watch it. But if a spider of any size is suddenly near me, or if the spider is large enough that it could reach me before I could get away, I am terrified.

It affects my life because I have to have my partner check for spiders if I think of them, if I see one I'm panicky and scared for ages, and I'm really worried that I'll see one in the classroom (about to train as a teacher) and freak out... at the least, I don't want to pass on this stupid phobia to them. I really want to go to a spider fear/hypnotherapy course to sort it out, need money and courage first though.

The worst thing is I'm a veggie and animal lover so if my partner kills them I feel horrifically guilty and sad that this spider had to die... it's just so frustrating!

xxx

EDIT:

(Original post by Young Hot Stalin)

The only thing worse than seeing a spider, is losing a spider. That's when I sleep in the lounge and make my dad search every damn corner of my room.

I have to shut my windows at around 7pm every night. Before I go to bed I use a flashlight and check every dark corner and concealed space in my room very carefully.
This sounds a lot like me, my partner has to check under and in everything at bedtime. And I won't have windows open at night, whatever heat, because I'm too scared one will come in. And the thing of not knowing where they are is what really gets to me too... if I see one I have to watch it until someone's dealt with it.

Even this thread is making me all edgy.
phil1093
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spiders.. Stupid stupid spiders, hate them i dont want to i keep trying to conquer my fear..

i wont go in a room if i saw one there

which is better than when i would avoid the room for a week when i was younger

im such a woos
nyanpen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm seriously scared of needles and injections. It's just as well I didn't get the same blood disorder as my mum and sister so I don't have to get a blood test every year. My dentist told me she'd have to reschedule my appointment for when there were no other patients so I didn't scare anyone because I was crying like a baby and wouldn't let her give me two injections so she could take a tooth out.

Wasps and Bees I'm terrified of. I had the unpleasant experience of being stung in the mouth by a wasp when I was little. Stupid thing just waited for when I opened my mouth to take a drink... I know Bees aren't bad, but I still run away from them anyway.

I couldn't go down an escalator till recently. I fell most of the way down one of the longest ones they have on the Tube when I was younger. I don't even really know why I was as afraid as I was to go down one. Stepping onto it just seemed really hard and dangerous and I would slip off or something.
ihatebrownbread
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I seriously don't understand why people are so scared of spiders. Is it just the number of legs they have or something
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Needles for me.
Cura
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a serious phobia of friends hugging me or being too close to me. Feels soo homo ewww :mad:
Toph
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love how people like me are veering away from 'serious phobias' to things we are scared of :p:

I hate gas masks too, I don't even like writing the word and it's all because of that Doctor Who episode. I also hate Daddy Long Legs (Crane Flies), if there's one in my room then I will not be sleeping there until it's removed.
hannahchan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rarar)
I was just wondering if anyone else has any serious phobias. By this, I mean fears that stop you doing things - such as a serious fear of heights would prevent you from going on planes etc.

I have a phobia of the dark, elevators and gas masks. I have to sleep with a nightlight and I NEVER go anywhere dark without some form of a light. My fear of elevators means I always take the stairs. I get panicky when I absolutely HAVE to use an elevator in case it gets stuck and I'm trapped in it. My fear of gas masks (yes, weird, I know) originates from the episode of Doctor Who called 'The Empty Child,' in which there were gas mask zombies. It makes me have nightmares to this day (7 years since the episode), and when I see a gas mask, I start to have panic attacks. Proper attacks. I once froze in fear when I saw one and couldn't move.

ANYWAY, enough about me; what's your serious phobia? What does it stop you doing?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MZ604
Forget elevators.. ESCALATORS are scary. I wouldn't say it was a phobia but I always tense up when I'm about to go on. Like i just stand there.. and panic. I love lifts! Best alternative and so are stairs but they're tiring!

Once recently I was standing at the top of one looking down and suddenly I started panicking and then lights went all blurry and I suddenly felt really nauseous as the wind was blowing and I was shaking. I stepped on after about a minute coz people were behind.. and it was just so scary. And I started breathing really fast after.. and found it hard to calm down.

I hate those ones at picadilly.. those HUGEEE ones going down!

please tell me I'm not alone? I nearly slipped on a down escalator... .

oh and I hate dirt. Or dust. .
hannahchan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ihatebrownbread)
I seriously don't understand why people are so scared of spiders. Is it just the number of legs they have or something
yes and the fact they crawl... ewww..
kjærlighet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moths.
Angry Spartan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
heh, none that I can think of.

Which probably means I've still got the experience of finding one to come.
Et33
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Ah, glad I'm not the only one. :five:

Have you tried diazepam?

I get bad reactions, like throwing up and migraines, not pretty :-/ I suffer from minor anxiety attacks usually, I'm just overly paranoid about everything :-/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Terpsikhore
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess vomiting. I know no one finds it particularly pleasant - but I carry anti-emetics in my handbag at all times, stopped eating meat because I deemed the risk of food poisoning to be unacceptably high, bleach the bathroom/kitchen surfaces/door handles twice a day if someone in my house is ill, that sort of thing... so I guess it probably does interfere with my life enough to be classed as a 'serious phobia'.

It's a bit of a pain actually, I really desperately want to go to Rio but I daren't because I don't trust the food. :/

(Original post by Folks)
I have the strangest phobia of a specific texture... wooden pegs, lollipop sticks, chip forks... thinking about it right now I'm grinding my teeth and my skin is crawling. If I happen to be near such an object I will be visibly uncomfortable and have thrown up in the past
I don't really have a phobia of this, but ugghhhh unvarnished wood like that is awful! The feeling of it makes me gag. Unbearable stuff.
RubyMay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tornados even seeing a picture makes me feel sick. I don't even know why i'm so scared of them, I live in Leeds so it's not like they're a regular occurrence!

RubyMay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And elevators. I haven't been in one in over 10 years I cry if someone even jokes to put me in one.

KingOfTheBears
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a pretty huge fear of Wasps, I genuinely can't stand the hellspawn, if I see one I will genuinely dart from one side of the planet to another, attempting to put as many cans of raid between me and satan's offspring as possible.
geebee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have had a phobia of worms (like earthworms) for as long as I can remember, my brother used to pick them up and chase me with them when I was little. I can't even think about them because they make me feel sick. Once in year 7 science we had to collect bugs for some experiment or another and people kept getting worms and i had a huge panic attack, threw up everywhere and was sent home for the day. If I see them in the street I kind of walk fast past them but I break out in a cold sweat. It's awful.

Also, I have a phobia of balloons, party poppers, and anything else that goes bang. I don't know why, but they make me nervous. Kids parties are my idea of hell because of this. I end up locking myself in the bathroom and crying for hours.
Alix23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A fear of beign strangled (not joking) stops me wearing stuff that constricts my neck like tight hoodies or turtlenecks. I guess the main part of my fear is of being hanged, and that doesn't restrict me too much...
I think it's mostly because of my asthma that not being able to breathe seems so bad, unfortunately it's something I have to go through quite often
Vybz Kartel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pooping in other people's bathrooms. I refuse to poop in anyone's bathroom other than my own unless i'm on holiday in a hotel or w/e, then it doesn't count.
dilberto3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Foxes! Anyone else share the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads