Should I buy Samsung Galaxy Ace? Watch

Poll: Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Ace?
Yes (15)
48.39%
No (16)
51.61%
SpiggyTopes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Oh right, hmm well £9 is still a very good deal, I must say. So how long will it take to pay it off. And does it still have the same rules as a normal contract. i.e. if the phone breaks, they replace it?

Oh right, I was hoping to use my phone on thestudentroom. :eek: Why is it difficult may I ask?
Aww bless ya , yes I am in a very similar position, as if I purchase this phone, it will be my first ever android.
Hopefully, I shall like it, if I do decide to buy it, since I am a very critical individual.
It takes two years, so £180+VAT in total and that includes the phone!

If it's your first android I'm sure it will be more than fine. It was like getting Windows 98, brilliant at the time but wouldn't seem so good if we went back to it. You don't miss what you've never had, I guess.

By difficult I mean it takes about 5 seconds to make sure you are typing in the right place. I'm critical too!

The phone also has a method of typing called 'Swype' which is unbelievably and inexplicably amazing!
gooner4ever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it all comes round to whether you can afford to spend more on your contract. My sister has this phone in my opinion the only touch screens that are good are the higher-mid range and higher range phones because otherwise the touch responsiveness is poor.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)

Right, that sounds very good then. So it is quick? And is it easy to text. My other problem was that, I would not be ableto text as well as a buttoned phone.

Hasit gone in for repair yet?
Yes, it's considerably faster than conventional texting. My previous phone was a nokia 3310 (not even joking...) and I was not an especially fast typer. It's not as quick as typing on a physical keyboard but it's probably similar or a bit faster than hand writing.

I've not had any problems yet.
Thug
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
It's not helping that the voting is 50/50
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by Airfairy)
It doesn't take that long. Sorts itself out quite fast. The only time I have to take the battery out is when it crashes on the camera. The rest of the crashes normally sort themselves out.

Oh that reminds me, despite what I've read, I've found the battery to be rather good for a smart phone. I do have a battery app as well, but my phone usually can last a good two full days using everything on it, which is pretty impressive I think.
Well my old phone was rather annoying, it took 3 seconds to click on every little thing. In the notes section can you do paragraphing? Change fonts etc?

Two days? Wow. Every other person said, it lasts a day. My old phone lasts two days without using it.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpiggyTopes)
It takes two years, so £180+VAT in total and that includes the phone!

If it's your first android I'm sure it will be more than fine. It was like getting Windows 98, brilliant at the time but wouldn't seem so good if we went back to it. You don't miss what you've never had, I guess.

By difficult I mean it takes about 5 seconds to make sure you are typing in the right place. I'm critical too!

The phone also has a method of typing called 'Swype' which is unbelievably and inexplicably amazing!
What?..You bought it for £180 ? You can buy it from 02 for £100.

I think I may go on contract the first years maybe. And then move to giffgaff not sure.

Well my sister has recently bought her first ever android and she is not liking it. Plus the Talkmobile, they said they could transfer her number over within 2 days, and they still haven't, it's been 4 days..

Haha, don't worry, I am very much a critiqest myself. You seem very passionate about this phone I'm worried that touch may slow down my texting.

(Original post by gooner4ever)
it all comes round to whether you can afford to spend more on your contract. My sister has this phone in my opinion the only touch screens that are good are the higher-mid range and higher range phones because otherwise the touch responsiveness is poor.
And is the Samsung Galaxy Ace, higher mid range?
I need someone to do the calculation for me, if whether a contract for 2years then moving to giff gaff. Or just getting pay as you go, on giff gaff. Will be cheaper.

(Original post by Manitude)
Yes, it's considerably faster than conventional texting. My previous phone was a nokia 3310 (not even joking...) and I was not an especially fast typer. It's not as quick as typing on a physical keyboard but it's probably similar or a bit faster than hand writing.

I've not had any problems yet.
Well thats sound fantastic. You are making me look forward to this phone Haha aww bless you. I have a Nokia X3-00 atm, and never ever buy it, it is the most worst phone you could possibly buy.

What are the restrictions/differences to using the internet on the phone, rather than the actual internet. Does it veiw it as a mobile veiw, or does it veiw it exactly how it looks like on the net. If you understand what I'm saying.
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Well my old phone was rather annoying, it took 3 seconds to click on every little thing. In the notes section can you do paragraphing? Change fonts etc?

Two days? Wow. Every other person said, it lasts a day. My old phone lasts two days without using it.
I haven't seen a notes section. I didn't know it had one! I downloaded the color note app, which lets you paragraph but you can't change fonts. There is probably a better app out there that WILL let you change fonts though.
Airfairy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I found that so hard to use!! It got me thinking if anyone actually uses it because it was so awkward, but apparently so. Did it take you a while to get used to it, or should I assume it's not for me?
Thug
Rep:
?
I haven't seen a notes section. I didn't know it had one! I downloaded the color note app, which lets you paragraph but you can't change fonts. There is probably a better app out there that WILL let you change fonts though.
Oh right. Well you see I like a notes section, where I can just type alot of stuff that pops in my head, that I may forget. This may be with coursework, shopping, conversations etc. If you can find me one let me know. It is the most essential item I need there

So there's a note's app? but I'm assuming, what you write there is very limited? What is it called.
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)

I think I may go on contract the first years maybe. And then move to giffgaff not sure.

Well my sister has recently bought her first ever android and she is not liking it. Plus the Talkmobile, they said they could transfer her number over within 2 days, and they still haven't, it's been 4 days..

Haha, don't worry, I am very much a critiqest myself. You seem very passionate about this phone I'm worried that touch may slow down my texting.

It is £180 including all of the calls, texts and internet.

I know somebody who was in the same situation as your sister, it may be slightly annoying but it's not the end of the world because you can still use your old phone until the number gets moved over. Though I am worrying that if they treat brand new customers like that, how will they treat me in a year or so?

Swype is for some but not others, I find it great. You can still text in the old fashioned way if you want to. Actually, it's not the old fashioned way is it, the old fashioned way is when each key has 3 letters on it- this has a qwerty keyboard!
Thug
Rep:
?
I've had my Nokia X3-00 for over a year now. It's caused me many problems.

Do you lot still think I have a chance of refund?
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I found that so hard to use!! It got me thinking if anyone actually uses it because it was so awkward, but apparently so. Did it take you a while to get used to it, or should I assume it's not for me?
I was a natural! I can type like a superhuman maniac, quicker than I can think! I am even trying to imagine ways that I can use it to write essays on and then transfer them to my computer.

To be honest, I only know of two other people who can use Swype, a friend and a physics teacher of all people! Most people I know absolutely hate it!
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)

I need someone to do the calculation for me, if whether a contract for 2years then moving to giff gaff. Or just getting pay as you go, on giff gaff. Will be cheaper.

Well thats sound fantastic. You are making me look forward to this phone Haha aww bless you. I have a Nokia X3-00 atm, and never ever buy it, it is the most worst phone you could possibly buy.

What are the restrictions/differences to using the internet on the phone, rather than the actual internet. Does it veiw it as a mobile veiw, or does it veiw it exactly how it looks like on the net. If you understand what I'm saying.
Most of the sites I use have mobile view, so Facebook, BBC News, Youtube, Wikipedia. Some sites recognise you are using a mobile device and switch to mobile straight away. Some sites are displayed like on a computer, which means a lot of scrolling from left to right when reading articles, but it's not too bad.
Airfairy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Oh right. Well you see I like a notes section, where I can just type alot of stuff that pops in my head, that I may forget. This may be with coursework, shopping, conversations etc. If you can find me one let me know. It is the most essential item I need there

So there's a note's app? but I'm assuming, what you write there is very limited? What is it called.
There are many note apps. A quick search on Google Play shows this. The app that I use is ColorNote, and it seems to be the most popular. I am like you and enjoy taking notes needed on my phone, but I have an iPod touch and prefer the apple note interface so I use that mostly. Sometimes I use ColorNote on my phone though, it is fine. Does the job.
Thug
Rep:
?
I was a natural! I can type like a superhuman maniac, quicker than I can think! I am even trying to imagine ways that I can use it to write essays on and then transfer them to my computer.

To be honest, I only know of two other people who can use Swype, a friend and a physics teacher of all people! Most people I know absolutely hate it!
Very impressive So it can go either way? People either like it, or they despise it?
Yes! I'vealways wanted to do that, write something and then easily transfer it to the computer. I think the best way is to copy and paste the note onto your email on the phone and save it as draft. So when you log on it'll be on your email.

I hope I'm used to of it. But all this time i've been used to of the manual buttons. But you can take the 'swype' off can't you?

(Original post by Manitude)
Most of the sites I use have mobile view, so Facebook, BBC News, Youtube, Wikipedia. Some sites recognise you are using a mobile device and switch to mobile straight away. Some sites are displayed like on a computer, which means a lot of scrolling from left to right when reading articles, but it's not too bad.
Thankyou for the information. I think I have finalised my decision, that if I buy a phone it shall be this one. I've already transferred to giffgaff, and it so far so good. The deals are good and cheap. My only concerns with Saumsung Galaxy ace, is that I will find diffuclty getting used to of touch, the lagg, and low battery life.

There are many note apps. A quick search on Google Play shows this. The app that I use is ColorNote, and it seems to be the most popular. I am like you and enjoy taking notes needed on my phone, but I have an iPod touch and prefer the apple note interface so I use that mostly. Sometimes I use ColorNote on my phone though, it is fine. Does the job.
Thankyou for the link. What other apps are there available?
jordltfc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Only read through the first quarter of this thread so apologies if I've just repeated anything. I went to get a new phone recently (I'm with 3, there are better networks but 3's cheap and I was due an upgrade) and if you want to go for a cheap phone then there was 2 recommendations: The Samsung Galaxy Ace and the HTC Desire C. In the end I opted for the HTC because I like them but the lady who worked there was really keen on the Ace. If you just want it for browsing internet etc. it'll be fine. I can also play all sorts of games on my phone, such as Temple Run and the Ace has a faster processor so there shouldn't be any problems there.

If you've already got the phone or anything, I haven't read the 2nd page.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by jordltfc)
Only read through the first quarter of this thread so apologies if I've just repeated anything. I went to get a new phone recently (I'm with 3, there are better networks but 3's cheap and I was due an upgrade) and if you want to go for a cheap phone then there was 2 recommendations: The Samsung Galaxy Ace and the HTC Desire C. In the end I opted for the HTC because I like them but the lady who worked there was really keen on the Ace. If you just want it for browsing internet etc. it'll be fine. I can also play all sorts of games on my phone, such as Temple Run and the Ace has a faster processor so there shouldn't be any problems there.

If you've already got the phone or anything, I haven't read the 2nd page.
I haven't bought it yet. I'm going to spend my good money on it which I saved, so I need to make sure I make the right decision. The people on here say it's pretty much good, but then the poll is still 50/50, which I do not understand.

Why did you choose the HTC may I ask?
jordltfc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
I haven't bought it yet. I'm going to spend my good money on it which I saved, so I need to make sure I make the right decision. The people on here say it's pretty much good, but then the poll is still 50/50, which I do not understand.

Why did you choose the HTC may I ask?
I haven't used a Samsung for a while (therefore can't comment on the newer models) so I didn't vote on the poll but from what I've heard, they're quite good. If you want some more points of view, look at different online reviews because they should be unbiased.

The only reason I chose the HTC was because 2 years ago I had the HTC Wildfire and liked it. Then I dropped it and my friend gave me her HTC Hero until I got my upgrade. I think it's just that I found them easy and simple to use and so thought I'd get another one. It was just a personal preference, really.
hash007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wait a few days and there will be an amazing deal on the Samsung Galaxy S2, that's what i'm going to get.
gooner4ever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Galaxy Ace is defo not higher mid range! its very low mid range!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads