Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm this thread's dead.

So tell me, Oxonians, what's the best night out you've had in a while? I want a taste of the nightlife in Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    Last night! Was really good fun: went for a meal and a couple of pints at the Eagle & Child, then to St. John's for jazz and cocktails night and then to some random house party where we didn't really know anyone, but we were all a bit drunkish, so :p:

ReputationRep:
    Mine was last night!! Wadstock rocked! It was amazing and it was a whole day not just a night
    So much fun tho, with bouncy boxing and this duel thingy, free ben and jerrys ice cream lots of drinkage, pimms, and of course the bands were fab!

ReputationRep:
    Awww, too bad I didn't make it

Well, I think everyone's gonna have their best night out in a while tonight, as it's May Day night!! Yay!!

ReputationRep:
    Last night was pretty good for me too - just drink & cinema... but 'dates' are relatively few these days! :p:
    Tonight - formal hall, bop*, JCR pizza & films, cheese & alcohol, May day morning...
    All-time best nights out have probably been the balls (Queens in my first year, Trinity last year) or some of the JCR christmas/end of term parties - especially at Freuds in the first year.

*Pirate theme - wardrobe has leather lace up knees highs & clinching belt. but currently lack actual clothing & slightly stumped as to what to buy?? trip into town methinks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Last night was pretty good for me too - just drink & cinema... but 'dates' are relatively few these days! :p:
    Tonight - formal hall, bop*, JCR pizza & films, cheese & alcohol, May day morning...
    All-time best nights out have probably been the balls (Queens in my first year, Trinity last year) or some of the JCR christmas/end of term parties - especially at Freuds in the first year.

*Pirate theme - wardrobe has leather lace up knees highs & clinching belt. but currently lack actual clothing & slightly stumped as to what to buy?? trip into town methinks..
    a long coat perhaps? Im sure you must have one of those lying about?

ReputationRep:
    hmm, have military-style full-length cashmere one... but might pass out with the heat during the bop!

just had a dress rehearsal putting together black trousers (tucked into the boots) & a victorian ish top - which i think might work & saves buying more clothes. + gratuitous excuse for excess pearl bounty-wearing = perfect.

so now i just need sword/pistol (are any of the fancy dress shops open on sundays though?) to try & work the classy pirate thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    hmm, have military-style full-length cashmere one... but might pass out with the heat during the bop!

just had a dress rehearsal putting together black trousers (tucked into the boots) & a victorian ish top - which i think might work & saves buying more clothes. + gratuitous excuse for excess pearl bounty-wearing = perfect.

so now i just need sword/pistol (are any of the fancy dress shops open on sundays though?) to try & work the classy pirate thing...
    Maybe a coloured sash could work... or a bandana Simple if you have a scarf

Edit: try a toy shop.. may well be cheaper

ReputationRep:
    So tonight's/tomorrow's the big May Day thing right? Could someone explain it to me, I only vagule understand it- something to do with staying up all night, Magdalen's boys choir and lots of partying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjuthani)
    So tonight's/tomorrow's the big May Day thing right? Could someone explain it to me, I only vagule understand it- something to do with staying up all night, Magdalen's boys choir and lots of partying?
    They sing in the summer as I understand it. The choir stand at the top of Magdalen tower at some ungodly hour. Sing in front of hundreds/ thousands of zombie like students and then some people throw themselves off Magdalen bridge. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Sing in front of hundreds/ thousands of zombie like students and then some people throw themselves off Magdalen bridge. :p:
    Yes it's pretty much like that, in fact some cut scenes from dawn of the dead are taken from just such occurences.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They sing in the summer as I understand it. The choir stand at the top of Magdalen tower at some ungodly hour. Sing in front of hundreds/ thousands of zombie like students and then some people throw themselves off Magdalen bridge. :p:
    Honestly? How deep's the river?

Ooh, something my mum reminisces about - do you still have Bulldogs, and do they still hang around the exam schools to stop finalists being drenched in stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Honestly? How deep's the river?

Ooh, something my mum reminisces about - do you still have Bulldogs, and do they still hang around the exam schools to stop finalists being drenched in stuff?
    Well they closed the bridge this year. But last year quite a few people injured themselves because the water was only a few inches deep, all in the name of tradition :rolleyes:

By Bulldogs you mean actual dogs? I can't say as I have seen any actual dogs, although some may consider the proctors to fit that description on the odd occasion. They DO hang around exams schools to stop people enjoying themselves.

ReputationRep:
    By Bulldogs
    that's exactly what I was thinking, proctors are still around, very much so.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by apple tree)
    that's exactly what I was thinking, proctors are still around, very much so.
    My mum was at Oxford in the 80's - I presume she's talking about Proctors, but her Oxford handbook calls them Bulldogs - they wear bowler hats, it that means anything?

ReputationRep:
    My mum was at Oxford in the 80's - I presume she's talking about Proctors, but her Oxford handbook calls them Bulldogs - they wear bowler hats, it that means anything?
    hmmm not sure... they wear purple robes as I recall... or rather purple ribbons off them. If that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Bulldogs are/were the proctors' 'muscle'. Proctors are senior members of the University and generally not up to chasing and apprehending miscreant undergraduates. Bulldogs were often drawn from the more athletic or intimidating college porters (hence the bowler hats?) and did the dirty work on behalf of the proctors.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=449&stop=28

The point of the bulldogs has much reduced as the rules applying to undergrads have lapsed. When wearing gowns was compulsory in town (until 1970s?) they had plenty to do; now they have very little to do so perhaps they have been disbanded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldMan)
    Bulldogs are/were the proctors' 'muscle'. Proctors are senior members of the University and generally not up to chasing and apprehending miscreant undergraduates. Bulldogs were often drawn from the more athletic or intimidating college porters (hence the bowler hats?) and did the dirty work on behalf of the proctors.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=449&stop=28

The point of the bulldogs has much reduced as the rules applying to undergrads have lapsed. When wearing gowns was compulsory in town (until 1970s?) they had plenty to do; now they have very little to do so perhaps they have been disbanded?
    Unlikely, Oxford doesn't get rid of tradition THAT easily. Bound to be one or 2 just to keep up the show so to speak. Though, I doubt they have a great deal to do except stand around and look important, maybe keep an eye on people going into/ coming out of exams.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely, Oxford doesn't get rid of tradition THAT easily. Bound to be one or 2 just to keep up the show so to speak. Though, I doubt they have a great deal to do except stand around and look important, maybe keep an eye on people going into/ coming out of exams.
    Looking into it, it seems the Oxford University Police Force was disbanded in 2002 and replaced with Proctors' Officers who no longer have powers of arrest.
    Cambridge still appoints it's own constables who have full police powers of arrest within 5 miles of Great St Mary's.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/p.../constabulary/

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.