Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't think so, they wait til all the forms are in then make a decision, or at least that's what they said they did last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mims*)
    What's the social side supposed to be like at Goldney? I'm definitely looking at self-catered, and probably Clifton, but really want a sociable hall - help! :p:
    So agreeing with you. I think it probably is a bit quieter than others- that's what it seemed like when i visited.

ReputationRep:
    i dont eat pot noodles and im self catered, i cook a roast most sundays witha chicken, then use the left over for sarnies and a stir fry. beautiful

ReputationRep:
    Yes, new quad looks very good considering most of it was built in the 60's and its a concrete based. They've used a similar style as old quad for the roof so it is quite in keeping with it.

I just thought it was worth a mention, because some people will apply to wills based on old quad alone and then not get into it. Also i think churchill has pictures of the holmes (sp?) alot of the time, which is pretty misleading.

ReputationRep:
    Well thanks for the replies guys. I guess it will be Manor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    Yes, new quad looks very good considering most of it was built in the 60's and its a concrete based. They've used a similar style as old quad for the roof so it is quite in keeping with it.

I just thought it was worth a mention, because some people will apply to wills based on old quad alone and then not get into it. Also i think churchill has pictures of the holmes (sp?) alot of the time, which is pretty misleading.
    Well, then i applied I would have wanted an old quad room. I should have mentioned that old quad rooms are the biggest, followed not too far behind by xyz rooms, with uvw rooms being the smallest, although as mentioned before, ensuite. However I would prefer the extra room in my X room to an ensuite, I have never had to wait for a shower while i've been here and its not too much effort to go along the corridor. ALthough i am a lawyer and so nt usually using it when all the science 9am crowd are, not really sure what its liek then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused by this whole thing...

I'm looking for:
    - self-catered
    - preferably ensuite but not essential
    - mixed would be nice...
    - nice and lively
    - location wise I'm not too bothered, but closer rather than further away is obviously a nice bonus

So what's my best option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgangills)
    I'm confused by this whole thing...

I'm looking for:
    - self-catered
    - preferably ensuite but not essential
    - mixed would be nice...
    - nice and lively
    - location wise I'm not too bothered, but closer rather than further away is obviously a nice bonus

So what's my best option?
    Ok
    -self-catered - That narrows it down to Goldney, Manor, Durdham, University or a Student House.
    -ensuite - only Hall its guarannteed in is Durdham. Some of the student houses have them, and Goldney has a few.
    -mixed. All halls are mixed, you can specify you want a mixed flat. I'm in Durdham and in a flat of 2 other girls and 3 guys. There's also a few single sex flats.
    -Nice and lively. Varies from year to year, based on who's living there. No one can tell you that!
    -Location wise. Nearer - Goldney, Manor, Student Houses. Stokey B - Durdham and University.

Only hall I wouldn't recommned is University - all my friends there really don't like it. Its basically the people that didn't get into Durdham, and they're not very good at matching people with likeminded people.

Self-catered means you are in flats. This can be hit and miss. For me, its worked out perfectly - I love my flatmates, we all get on so well and we're living together next year. Other flats haven't worked out so well (i'm sure there are some people on here who can vouch for that!) However, that doesn't mean the end of the world. You just have to be prepared to put the effort in - to join socitities, to go down to the bar all the time, to talk to randomers walking around hall etc....

I love Durdham. Its really modern and nice - the en-suites are a lovely extra. The rooms are bright, modern, clean and a good sized. The kitchens are well-equipped and spacious.

I don't really know anything about Manor other than its arranged in corridors, not flats. This has its good points and bad points. It means you can meet more people, but it also means you have to share a kitchen with more people.

Goldney is gorgeous, but you (literally) pay the price. Kitchen facilities are about the same as Durdhams, but you get no ensuite.

I don't know anything about the Student Houses.....

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ah cheers for that info....I will look into Durdham.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if the halls in manor hall are mixed sex corrdiors or single sex corridors

ReputationRep:
    google, wikipedia or the universities own website will answer most of these questions, Think they are probably mixed, but can't be bothered to look it up.

ReputationRep:
    pffff,i did try and made an effort to look via search engines.but found nothing

ReputationRep:
    2nd result on google: http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Manor/new/home.htm

Wikipedia is good for some halls, but not others, Wills, HB and another i tink

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where I can find the applicationslaces stats for halls? They used to be somewhere on this forum but I seem to have mislaid them!

ReputationRep:
    they came with the accomodation pack last year IIRC. Haven't seen them on the forum though, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    The new stats for 05/06 are on the Bristol accommodation page on their website - go to 'new undergraduates' and there's a link on the info page There's also a sample application form for this year. Also: news for accommodation forms this year: we'll get a 2nd choice of accom instead of just the 1 they changed it to last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PSEnglish)
    Does anyone know where I can find the applicationslaces stats for halls? They used to be somewhere on this forum but I seem to have mislaid them!
    Here you go: http://www.bris.ac.uk/accom/dcts/prefs.doc

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if you get a chance to say whether or not you would prefer ensuite or not as i can't see a box on the form? It's obviously more expensive and I'm not sure I'm going to want \be able to spend the extra. Should I mention this on the PS bit?

Also, if you share, is it for a term or a year?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sharing for the year I beleive, can't see people playing 'musical rooms' at the start of each term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penny1)
    Just wondering if you get a chance to say whether or not you would prefer ensuite or not as i can't see a box on the form? It's obviously more expensive and I'm not sure I'm going to want \be able to spend the extra. Should I mention this on the PS bit?
    I was wondering that - I don't wanna pay the extra for ensuite...

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.