Economics A Level - Good or Bad? Watch

Ashman
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
If you got through to the interviews then your personal statement wouldnt be the problem. Sounds more like you just dont interview well (which is understandable if you are young)
Who?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
There is always an explanation. Be interested to see your PS.
I will PM it to you, once I set up my laptop to work on the internet, rather than through my friends tunnel. By the way, as far as I understand you are studying in uni, are you not?
Who?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ashman)
If you got through to the interviews then your personal statement wouldnt be the problem. Sounds more like you just dont interview well (which is understandable if you are young)
Maybe- they did say that they would like me to reapply... But I cannot, because I can't afford to withdraw from LSE- if I do, I will be conscripted to the Russian Army for 3 years
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alexeynechaev)
I will PM it to you, once I set up my laptop to work on the internet, rather than through my friends tunnel. By the way, as far as I understand you are studying in uni, are you not?
Yeah, second year economist.

You can bribe some health officials to write you off from military service. I know some people that do.

Most unis don't interview for Econ. And Oxbridge interview virtually everyone.
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alexeynechaev)
Maybe- they did say that they would like me to reapply... But I cannot, because I can't afford to withdraw from LSE- if I do, I will be conscripted to the Russian Army for 3 years
3 years? :eek:

I thought the 2.5 (recently reduced to 2) years in Singapore was bad.

Ben, malingering in the army is looked upon very seriously. Generally the armed forces have their own medical personnel and panels which conduct reviews for soldiers to determine their health status. In Singapore, unless you are severely incapacitated or immobile, you'll still have to serve your term. Not as a combat-fit soldier on the field, but possibly as a clerk.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
In Russia, I hear bribing your way out is easy going. You can fabricate an entire medical history. Singapore is trickier.

Alternatively, people can chuck their old nationality or 'dodge the draft' and not 'go home' for a number of years until no one cares etc.

In general, military service, bad idea.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In Russia, I hear bribing your way out is easy going. You can fabricate an entire medical history. Singapore is trickier.
Interesting.

Alternatively, people can chuck their old nationality or 'dodge the draft' and not 'go home' for a number of years until no one cares etc.
We had someone here who did exactly this. He was only slapped with a fine when he returned, but that stirred up a huge commotion. The penalties have since been revised and made heavier.
In general, military service, bad idea.
In general, yes. Really depends how motivated you are to make the best use of your time there. Land yourself some excellent training and a respectable vocation, and it'd reflect well on your CV. Not forgetting to mention the personal development.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
The opportunity cost of military service is high. Too high.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The opportunity cost of military service is high. Too high.
When you factor in the good that society derives, probably not. Especially for countries under a high level of threat which cannot afford a regular volunteer armed force for various reasons.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
Singapore is not going to get invaded or attacked anytime soon. Nor is a part-time, part-trained and casualised bunch of conscripted youth going to stop them.

Or the older, "didn't really like it" conscrips who are older.

Society derives a lot more value out of medics, engineers, academics etc actually doing those things for two more years.

If people want to do military service, make it voluntary and get yourself a professional military. Society deriving 'cheap labour by force' by blunt misallocation is traditionally not really society deriving very much.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Singapore is not going to get invaded or attacked anytime soon. Nor is a part-time, part-trained and casualised bunch of conscripted youth going to stop them.

Or the older, "didn't really like it" conscrips who are older.

Society derives a lot more value out of medics, engineers, academics etc actually doing those things for two more years.

If people want to do military service, make it voluntary and get yourself a professional military. Society deriving 'cheap labour by force' by blunt misallocation is traditionally not really society deriving very much.
Fallacy.

Singapore has the best military in the region, and that's about all we need. I work in the industry and with people in-the-know, so trust me on this. We have a small regular force to run the core operations, but when you includein our National Servicemen (these are people who have completed their full-tume NS commitment of 2 years, and return for 2 weeks yearly for the next ~15 years to brush up their skills), we have a sizeable force.

Security in the region is volatile, and conflicts with neighbours are rife. I wouldn't expect you to know since you're up in London, but if Singapore doesn't have a credible military, I assure you we wouldn't be where we are today - 1st class economy within just 30+ years, a workforce ranked #1 in terms of productivity, etc.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
Singapore versus China/Australia would be a rather one sided conflict. As would bringing in say India or Pakistan to the mix. Or Russia (if you consider that in the sphere). In fact, you could argue the USA ought to be added in there too. All of whom I would venture could kick Singapore into touch should full scale conflict arise. Especially since most of that list could take you out with the press of a button. In fact, such is Singapore's size, most nations with some purchased 'push-a-button-whizz boom' kit could paralyse the place very quickly. Power generation and in particular, water. If Malaysia stopped supplying you with water, you'd be stuffed, however much you repurify the stuff.

If you are interested, you'll discover that millitary conflict has an over 80% correlation with spending on military budgets for the previous years.

I'd argue the economy isn't first class. In fact, pretty far from it. I've been to Singapore for more than a couple days (ie. too long). Economies are there to produce things which get consumed and in Singapore, people don't do a whole lot of that. You can gear your economy so that it produces endless capital goods to the point where you have the highest GDP per capita by a country mile but it doesn't make life a whole lot of fun.

OECD = Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea (South), Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK and USA.

NB, all EU national members are automatically in the OECD.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Singapore versus China/Australia would be a rather one sided conflict. As would bringing in say India or Pakistan to the mix. Or Russia (if you consider that in the sphere). In fact, you could argue the USA ought to be added in there too. All of whom I would venture could kick Singapore into touch should full scale conflict arise. Especially since most of that list could take you out with the press of a button. In fact, such is Singapore's size, most nations with some purchased 'push-a-button-whizz boom' kit could paralyse the place very quickly. Power generation and in particular, water. If Malaysia stopped supplying you with water, you'd be stuffed, however much you repurify the stuff.
That's where you're wrong Ben. We're not concerned about those countries. Look at our immediate neighbours, if you get what i'm trying to say. For strategic reasons, those are the only countries we need to concern ourselves with. Beyond that, first class intelligence services fight the war befor it has even begun. And strategic military alliances like the FPDA.

I'd argue the economy isn't first class. In fact, pretty far from it. I've been to Singapore for more than a couple days (ie. too long). Economies are there to produce things which get consumed and in Singapore, people don't do a whole lot of that. You can gear your economy so that it produces endless capital goods to the point where you have the highest GDP per capita by a country mile but it doesn't make life a whole lot of fun.
Can't really comment on this since i don't know jack, but I was actually referring to our efficient workforce, political stability (something which is very rare in this region - look at thailand, the philippines, indonesia), and conducive investment climate. Sure, costs are rising and competition is stiff. But we have our benefits.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
"Neighbours" Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia.

None of whom would be stupid enough to attack or invade Singapore whether it had a sizeable military or not. Stuff like FPDA is exactly why Singapore doesn't need military service. You can depend on someone else.

Political stability under what is largely considered a undemocratic and at least, authoritative regime government isn't quite the same thing.

Singapore isn't by any means a third rate economy but isn't first class either.

(My own view of Singapore is that it is dull as something very dull. If I wrote a thesaurus, Singapore, boring and dull would be under the same category. It is a place where fun went to die and where old people probably would go to do just that in a mundane and sterile final few years)
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
None of whom would be stupid enough to attack or invade Singapore whether it had a sizeable military or not. Stuff like FPDA is exactly why Singapore doesn't need military service. You can depend on someone else.
Correction: Stuff like FPDA is exactly why Singapore doesn't need a full-fledged regular military service. You cannot completely depend on anyone else for national security.

We're not really talking about the act of an invasion. A military isn't used solely to defend during war. It can be used to enforce national sovereignty, and more importantly, ward off threats - including political ones.

Singapore - dull? I'm gonna agree with you there. It's too sterile for the liking of most foreigners.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
An amateur conscript 'military' will ward off no one making a serious attempt 'on your national security'. It is barely a consideration. A big bunch of greens will do little.

The moment political authorities start using the military as a means of maintaining power, ie. by fear of force, you know something has gone tragically wrong in the government process.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Singapore's military, when compared to the region, is by no means ameteur. With 3G transformations taking place on a daily basis and the army embracing technology rapidly in favour of manpower-intensive mechanisms, we're off to a great start in this new paradigm of military power.

In case I wasn't clear, I was referring to external threats. This obviously takes place today. Other governments will shape their foreign policy on Singapore based on a plethora of factors, and you can be sure that a credible military force will make them think twice before pulling a quick one on us.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (90)
25.86%
No (258)
74.14%

Watched Threads