Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    until everyone realises muscle is not heavier than fat

ReputationRep:
    jeez, why do all these very useful threads full of good advice for the OP and anyone else interested always have to be ruined by this stupid muscle/fat debate. Just give it a rest.

ReputationRep:
    "Muscle weighs more than fat because muscle cells that compose muscle are
    denser than fat cells. Why is this? Because fat cell cytoplasm contains
    mostly oils (lipids), whereas muscle cell cytoplasm contains mostly
    contractile proteins (myosin and actin) suspended in an aqueous (watery)
    environment. Lipids in general are less dense than water. You can prove
    this by mixing salad oil with water in a bottle and shaking it.
    Eventually, the oil will separate from the water and float to the top to
    form a lighter layer floating on top of the water. This lowered density of
    lipids make fatty tissue less heavy than muscle".

I've been doign karate for 6 years now, so I actually do have a fair bit of muscle on me, and I know I have got a bit heavier. Also, try picking up a very very muscular person - its very very very difficult!! they're heavy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky.bee)
    "Muscle weighs more than fat because muscle cells that compose muscle are
    denser than fat cells. Why is this? Because fat cell cytoplasm contains
    mostly oils (lipids), whereas muscle cell cytoplasm contains mostly
    contractile proteins (myosin and actin) suspended in an aqueous (watery)
    environment. Lipids in general are less dense than water. You can prove
    this by mixing salad oil with water in a bottle and shaking it.
    Eventually, the oil will separate from the water and float to the top to
    form a lighter layer floating on top of the water. This lowered density of
    lipids make fatty tissue less heavy than muscle".

I've been doign karate for 6 years now, so I actually do have a fair bit of muscle on me, and I know I have got a bit heavier. Also, try picking up a very very muscular person - its very very very difficult!! they're heavy!!
    sheesh yeah, karate just packs on the muscle!

and for the final time muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. it's no longer up for discussion.

Listen i DO NOT BINGE! :-( I KNOW I don't that s the whole point of this post but ppl want a debate over muscle and fat. Everyone knows muscle weighs more than fat neway god!!! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Everyone knows muscle weighs more than fat neway god!!! xx
    :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    Ok. A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than fat as it is more denser.

Yes?

However, it is impossible to say that muscle weighs more than fat as a general statement, as there are no grounds for comparison.

It is like saying that feathers are heavier than iron.
    10kg of feathers would be heavier than 1 kg of iron.

Everyone happy now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Listen i DO NOT BINGE! :-( I KNOW I don't that s the whole point of this post
    Don't take people saying that too seriously.

People have given you their thoughts on the issue but it's clearly not what you wanted to hear. My advice to you, as I have already said, is to eat more and worry less. Now I know it's very unlikely you're going to take my advice as that would mean putting more calories into your body and you seem to have a bit of an obsession with keeping cals to a minimum. However, if you want to get your metabolism going again you're going to have to stop starving yourself.

Eat a healthy, balanced diet and exercise well. There's not much more you can do. If you do things properly you're bound to get results.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Well said. x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah girl. All I can say is cut down the calories...but also watch what types of foods you eat. My friend went from like 2200 calories a day to 1200 a day and started doing running with me in the ,mornings since I practice for cross country and she went down fast! Lost like 30 lbs..so however many stones that is... and that was 4 months ago--she also put in a lot of other stuff in her routine. But I mean there is no secret formula to losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    Keenya, did you read the rest of the thread? Its lovely that you're offering advice, but this person is eating 1000kcal a day. They shouldn't be cutting down, its no wonder they're not losing weight. Their weight has reached a plateau, caused by not eating enough most probably.

They should be increasing their kcal intake to about 1,200.

ReputationRep:
    oh. my bad. thanx umm...yeah girl...you can't lose weight by eating nothing it slows your metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    drink loads of green tea! your talking to an ex obese beast here, now im just ...fat. but still working on it tho... eat less food. less starchy stuff and white flour stuff. and you lose loads when you go to visit really hot places..so book a holiday to australia or something...( muscle is heavier than fat) ...other than that just watch what you eat and exercise loads.xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MK_7)
    ( muscle is heavier than fat)
    :wtf?:

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE read the posts, guys. STOP telling her to eat less and exercise more.
    She is already eating minimal amount. Its not that hard to use your eyes, and its not like this has gone on for 50 pages or anything.

For the record - to help her lose weight, she would need to drink 3 buckets of green tea even before it had any effect.

And no, muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is more condensed than fat, meaning that 1 square cm of muscle IS heavier than 1 sq cm of fat.

But you can't make a general statement that muscle weighs more than fat.

Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    green tea increases your metabolism so it helps with the losing weight process,it doesnt mean live on it..it means use it as a substitue when you want a hot drink and it has other health benefits.. and ye i didnt read. i think its cos ur eating less which can be a cause... do you eat breakfast? cos missing that can be prety bad...

ReputationRep:
    Please listen to the few posts in this thread which are giving you good advice because the people telling you to eat less are not helping you at all. Plus you already exercise enough..so you don't need to do more of that either.

The reason you are finding it difficult to lose weight is because your body currently believes it is being starved. When you have such a low intake of calories your body slows your metabolism by as much as 50% in order to hang on to every little bit of energy it can.

In order for your metabolism to function at a normal rate you need 1200 calories per day, after exercise. So not only do you need at least 1200 cals a day, but you also need to eat more than that because of the large amount of exercise you do.

The only way you will speed up your metabolism and replace fat with muscle is to up your calory intake. Currently your body is attempting to run on 600 cals a day, a normal adult brain requires at least 800 calories a day, your muscles then need a further 400. Your brain is currently having to use the carbohydrate stored in your liver and muscles. Your muscles have no calories at all to run on so they are turning to fat as a source of energy for your body to carry on functioning.

I have had a lot of experience with calorie counting as several members of my family have suffered from eating disorders. The best thing you can do go to a dietician as they will be able to offer you professional advice & adapt your diet to suit your lifestyle. You will find that you have more energy, feel happier and your brain will function better.

Edit: other ways to increase your metabolism are to 1) eat breakfast, because your metabolism slows while you sleep and it doesn't rev back up until you eat again. Eating breakfast gets it going for the day 2) Eat more protein as it is made up mainly of amino acids, which are harder for your body to break down, so you burn more calories getting rid of them. 3) Eat 'good' carbs..refined carbs, such as bagels, white bread and potatoes promote storage of fat and slow your metabolism. Try to eat vegetables, whole grains and fruit. 4) Eat calcium rich foods, take calcium suppliments or drink low fat milk. Calcium and dairy products help increase your metabolism. 5) Get a good night of sleep. 6) Eat smaller portions more often to keep your metabolism running at max speed. Eating five to six mini meals rather than three large meals every day will keep your metabolic rate higher.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2006
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.