NHS student loan..... Watch

MJay
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
A bit of an update on this topic. I spoke to my LEA yesterday (Leeds) about the new rules that exclude second-time undergrads from the non-means tested maintenance loan. They told me that physiotherapy is included under the umbrella of medical courses that are eligible for the maintnenance loan. They said this applies to all NHS health professional courses, including SLT.
kazoola
Report 12 years ago
Im trying to understand all this - honest. But its so confusing. My parents combined income for last year was more than 40k. Does this mean i dont get anything. I tried asking the "advisors" at my collage but they were useless, didn't have a clue when it came to NHS burseries.

So, i apply for the non-income assessed maintainance loan, i get that part.
Do i need to apply for the tuition fee loan?
I dont apply for the maintainance grant?
Then, once this is done, i get seperate forms to apply for an NHS bursery?

BTW - this is for physiotherapy, if that has any bearing on what i apply for - like i said, i really dont have a clue whats going on!
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yep...apply for the non income assessed loan, you don't need tuition fee loan (NHS bit pays that)...i don't think you can get the maintenacne grant, but someone correct me if i'm wrong! Then the NHS student grants unit will send you out forms for the NHS bursary...i believe anyhow!
JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
yep...apply for the non income assessed loan, you don't need tuition fee loan (NHS bit pays that)...i don't think you can get the maintenacne grant, but someone correct me if i'm wrong! Then the NHS student grants unit will send you out forms for the NHS bursary...i believe anyhow!
yup you're rigght Kirsty - they have to apply for the non-income assessed laon (to the poster - it wouldn't matter if you're parents ernt less as you're only eligible for non means tested due to the bursary)......................do n't apply for tuition fee though - and you're not eligible for he maintenance grant either because you're applying for non means tested. The bursary forms are sent seperately by the bursary people
kazoola
Report 12 years ago
Oaky thanks for your help with that.

Ive applied for the non-income assessed maintainance loan, but now i have to send evidence of the result of my application for an NHS bursary. I ahvent even been sent the forms yet.
Will my application not be completed until i've sent this stuff off? Considering the time it takes for my bursary application to go through am i going to end up missing the deadline for the maintainance loan?
Even then, do i have to send the original copy of the result for the bursary, or will a photocopy be okay?
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kazoola)
Im trying to understand all this - honest. But its so confusing. My parents combined income for last year was more than 40k. Does this mean i dont get anything. I tried asking the "advisors" at my collage but they were useless, didn't have a clue when it came to NHS burseries.

So, i apply for the non-income assessed maintainance loan, i get that part.
Do i need to apply for the tuition fee loan?
I dont apply for the maintainance grant?
Then, once this is done, i get seperate forms to apply for an NHS bursery?

BTW - this is for physiotherapy, if that has any bearing on what i apply for - like i said, i really dont have a clue whats going on!
it doesn't matter how much money your parents earn because you're studying for an NHS degree (if it was any other degree then it would). Because you're eligible to apply for a NHS bursary you can only apply for a non means tested loan regardless of how much your parents earn. You do NOT need to apply for the tuition fee loan. And you CANNOT apply for the maintenance grant as you are only eligible for this if you are apply for income assesed loan which you are not.

NHS bursary forms are seperate
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oaky thanks for your help with that.

Ive applied for the non-income assessed maintainance loan, but now i have to send evidence of the result of my application for an NHS bursary. I ahvent even been sent the forms yet.
Will my application not be completed until i've sent this stuff off? Considering the time it takes for my bursary application to go through am i going to end up missing the deadline for the maintainance loan?
Even then, do i have to send the original copy of the result for the bursary, or will a photocopy be okay?
as far as I know you don't need to send evidence of applying for the bursary. I never had to this year and I never did last year. All you have to do is tick the box saying that you will be applying
kazoola
Report 12 years ago
I did that on the online form, and when i had aplplied it came up with a list of things i had to send off as evidence of my identity, place of birth etc. It also asked for evidence for the result of my bursary application. I dont know what to do

I said i would be applying for the income assessed bursary. Does that make a difference. Have i applied for the wrong one?
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did that on the online form, and when i had aplplied it came up with a list of things i had to send off as evidence of my identity, place of birth etc. It also asked for evidence for the result of my bursary application. I dont know what to do

I said i would be applying for the income assessed bursary. Does that make a difference. Have i applied for the wrong one?
no, income assessed bursary is right

I would call the SLC as I've enever had to give evidence of how much bursary I'm getting
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So let me get this right, you can only apply for a student loan if you are doing the degree?????, shame really, I am still waiting to hear from the bursary peolpe regarding my first payment ( I am doing the diploma in nursing).
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Annie72)
So let me get this right, you can only apply for a student loan if you are doing the degree?????, shame really, I am still waiting to hear from the bursary peolpe regarding my first payment ( I am doing the diploma in nursing).
to my knowledge yes - nursing students arent entitled to a loan if they do a diploma course because they get a greater amount of bursary
bri
Report 9 years ago
how do you know the NHS will definitely pay your fees? I am applying for nursing and have been told the NHS will pay my fees but not whether it is automatic or whether i have to fill in a form! HELP! what do i do?
herbal bug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bri)
how do you know the NHS will definitely pay your fees? I am applying for nursing and have been told the NHS will pay my fees but not whether it is automatic or whether i have to fill in a form! HELP! what do i do?
when you get accepted by the university, they willsend off your details and you will recieve a form in the post in due time.

xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (3)
42.86%
No - I got the required grades (3)
42.86%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads