Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Snape Still A Good Guy??! watch

• View Poll Results: IS SNAPE STILL A GOOD GUY?!
    Yes
    60.10%
    No
    20.21%
    Not sure
    19.69%

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that character was a bad guy :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    i never said that
    You didn't. Because:

What about the Unbreakable Vow? Or the fact the DD thinks its a made up story
    Why did you think DD thinks its a made up story?? It couldn't have been. DD didn't tell Malfoy that the vow is just to trick him, Snape did make an unbreakable vow, as there's an entire chapter that tells us what happened (Spinner's End).

And :
    But there is evidence! In the conversation between Malfoy and DD, DD told Malfoy that the vow was a made up story to make Malfoy tell Snape what he was upto.
    DD said to Malfoy ' of course he would tell you that...' that doesn't mean anything at all...just an adult talking down to a child. Again, DD didn't say the unbreakable vow didn't occured, and we know it did happened.

So Snape didn't lie to DD about the unbreakable vow, he might even have told DD about it- i'm not so sure on this but this would be likely if Snape and DD had been planning this before DD is stuck on the lightning tower, therefore in that case, he would be a good guy

ReputationRep:
    The thing is.... I read an interview with JK and she said that Snape ISN'T good and that she think's it's strange that people woulf think that now that he's killed Dumbledore...

And Alan Rickman said something similar: That his character is evil...

But no: I just don't buy it!
    I LOOOVE Snape and there's definitely a good reason for his killing, cos he IS GOOD! ..... :eyeball: okay?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robusty)
    DD said to Malfoy ' of course he would tell you that...' that doesn't mean anything at all...just an adult talking down to a child. Again, DD didn't say the unbreakable vow didn't occured, and we know it did happened.

So Snape didn't lie to DD about the unbreakable vow, he might even have told DD about it- i'm not so sure on this but this would be likely if Snape and DD had been planning this before DD is stuck on the lightning tower, therefore in that case, he would be a good guy
    Why would DD plan his own death? He's needed almost as much as Harry and Harry needs DD's help.

And also how could he have planned his own death when Snape had already made the Vow? The couldn't have planned the vow, there's no way they could've known that Narcissa was going to try to force Snape into making the Vow. The Vow was Snape's own choice, he didn't ask DD, he didn't ask any members of the Order, he made the decision on his own and he knew that however the outcome would turn out he'd have to choose between his own life and DD's, and he would obviously choose his own life above DD.

And he didn't have to make the Vow, he doesn't have to prove anything to Narcissa, he's already proved his royalty to Voldermort and that's all he had to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charleigh)
    The thing is.... I read an interview with JK and she said that Snape ISN'T good and that she think's it's strange that people woulf think that now that he's killed Dumbledore...
    Which interview? Can you give us a link?

ReputationRep:
    If that's true, then it would be strange for JKR not to think people would think Snape is still a good guy, after all the hints and argument that arised from it.

Or maybe she had underestimated our imaginations...

ReputationRep:
    still no link?

ReputationRep:
    I was waiting for the link too actually......

ReputationRep:
    hmm...I've got a feeling that Charleigh was not being serious at all...

ReputationRep:
    She probably wasn't, if she was then it would've been pretty big news considering the number of people who believe he's still on the good side.

ReputationRep:
    yeh...why would JK spoil her story lines like that.

ReputationRep:
    i watched HP&prisoner of A. again yesterday...Snape was definitely a good guy..he could have got away safely and left harry and the rest to die without anyone knowing...

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I support the idea that Snape doesn't really have a side; he's just going with whatever's best for him and doesn't really care about the overall war. So maybe he just killed Dumbledore because it was best for him, not because he was on any particular side. Or something. My thoughts tend to confuse me.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robusty)
    i watched HP&prisoner of A. again yesterday...Snape was definitely a good guy..he could have got away safely and left harry and the rest to die without anyone knowing...
    He had to keep them alive incase Voldermort ever regained power again. Plus he wanted Sirius put in Azkaban for personal reasons, I dont think he'd ever let Sirius get rid of Harry Potter for him, he's egos too big and I think he'd rather do that himself (if he is evil).

BTW, you're better off reading the books and making guesses from that, dont use the movies as evidence, they're terrible at following the books.

ReputationRep:
    My theory is that the plan is to get snape as near as possible to Voldemort and this was the best way - maybe Dumbledore knew he was dying?
    Then I reckon Snape will help Harry kill Voldemort in the end - its gonna be brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Also, Snape and Dumbledore and Voldemort can all read minds...this must have some kind of significance. So Dumbledore i reckon must be the best and would therefore be able to tell if he could trust Snape.
    Snape must be better than Voldemrt so that he can stop him reading his mind...if hes good guy..sooooo confusing!

ReputationRep:
    Another good point is that Dumbledore kind of died to save Harry again - so is Harry now super-protected?!

ReputationRep:
    snape is not good ... i mean fool .. why kill dumbledore . .apart from the fact that he had to ..so harry could go off on his little adventure all alone . .and die .. probably .. so yh .. i guess snape is bad .. but u never know wat ms rowling will have up her sleeve

ReputationRep:
    The first time I looked at this thread I thought "WTF! No way Snape is evil!", so I decided to read book 6 again. The more I think about it, the more Snape seems to be good, for the following two reasons:

Firstly, Hagrid says that Snape and Dumbledore were arguing in the forest. This is never explained. Snape is said to be "refusing to do something" - could that 'something' possibly be killing Dumbledore?

And I was also confused when DD says that when he came back from destroying Marvolo's ring, he wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for Snape - why did Snape not let him die there and then?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely that cryptic arguing in the forest is a sign
    (Original post by Berto90)
    so I decided to read book 7 again.
    :eek:

:rofl:

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.