The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
tim131
I thought the same, but the person I phoned said I have to fill them in, argh, I'm confused now!

How about you do just the online thing and then wait what happens? =) I'm sure if they absolutely do want you to fill out the forms, they'd get back to you?
Reply 61
tim131
I thought the same, but the person I phoned said I have to fill them in, argh, I'm confused now!

If you read up a few posts back on this same thread (which is always a good idea before asking a question) you'll see that several of us have already asked SAAS about those forms and we didn't need to fill in those forms.

I got the acceptance letter merely a week after I sent the application and never had to send those forms. So, instead of fretting over what some confused telephonist told you :smile:, send the application and ignore the forms.
Reply 62
Well my awards notice came today.

On the back it says that they will contact my family for the documents, so should I not bother sending them just now and wait? or just send the phtocopies I need with the form that is on there site when I finished my application...
Reply 63
Nelien
If you read up a few posts back on this same thread (which is always a good idea before asking a question) you'll see that several of us have already asked SAAS about those forms and we didn't need to fill in those forms.

I am aware of this, and this is what led to my confusion, but in fairness whose instructions are you going to follow, someone random people on the internet, or a SAAS employee? see where "confusion" comes into the picture?

I will wait a week, and if nothing I will send it, it can't do any harm to my application anyway.
Reply 64
Hi, first post here, so be gentle! And I'll try not to be one of those first time posters who asks a question to which the answer has been given 100 times!

Anyway, I applied to SAAS and I checked the progress thing on my account, which has now been changed to:

"Your letter of award for session 2009/2010 was issued on 16 Jul 2009."

So, hopefully I should receive it by tomorrow. But my question is, does the fact that I have ben sent a 'letter of award' indicate that my application was successful?

I mean, I'm aware that they would send out a letter to me anyway if my application was unsuccessful, but would they refer to THAT as a 'letter of award'?

I'd appreciate any help guys. It'll hopefully prevent me from enduring a sleepless night worrying about this!:o:

Cheers!
Reply 65
Sean1989
Hi, first post here, so be gentle! And I'll try not to be one of those first time posters who asks a question to which the answer has been given 100 times!

Anyway, I applied to SAAS and I checked the progress thing on my account, which has now been changed to:

"Your letter of award for session 2009/2010 was issued on 16 Jul 2009."

So, hopefully I should receive it by tomorrow. But my question is, does the fact that I have ben sent a 'letter of award' indicate that my application was successful?

I mean, I'm aware that they would send out a letter to me anyway if my application was unsuccessful, but would they refer to THAT as a 'letter of award'?

I'd appreciate any help guys. It'll hopefully prevent me from enduring a sleepless night worrying about this!:o:

Cheers!

I wouldn't know, but I got the same message before receiving the letter and it was indeed a successful application.

Best you can do is simply wait for the letter and see :smile:.
Reply 66
Sorry, it's me again!

I got the letter this morning and I'm none the wiser:confused:

The text of the letter is:

If you do no more than one year of an HND, degree or equivalent course and then decide to change course or institution, we will treat this as a "false start". This means that:

we will not take into account the support you received for your first course.

you can claim the full support package available for the minimum time it takes to complete your second course

I hope this explains the position

This isn't a 'letter of award' is it? I'm so confused!

I know we should all be grateful that the Scottish Government pays our fees and whatever, but they sure do make it as complicated as possible!!
Reply 67
Sean1989
Sorry, it's me again!

I got the letter this morning and I'm none the wiser:confused:

The text of the letter is:

This isn't a 'letter of award' is it? I'm so confused!

I know we should all be grateful that the Scottish Government pays our fees and whatever, but they sure do make it as complicated as possible!!

No, that doesn't look like a letter of award... I have no idea what it means. What type of education are you applying for? If it's your first time doing an undergraduate full-time degree then it shouldn't be a problem to get them to pay your fees so I'm guessing you filled in the application wrong somehow.
Reply 68
It's fairly straight forward, what it means is that if you only complete the first year of a HND or a degree before leaving the course then you will still be entitled to funding for the first year of another course.
Reply 69
I've got a question- The SAAS want an 8 digit Student Reference Number, only problem is I don't have an 8 digit number. My UCAS ID is 9 digits long and I haven't received anything with an 8 digit reference...

Is there something I'm missing here? I'll try to get in touch with both the uni, ucas and saas if I have time tomorrow...
Reply 70
Zedd
I've got a question- The SAAS want an 8 digit Student Reference Number, only problem is I don't have an 8 digit number. My UCAS ID is 9 digits long and I haven't received anything with an 8 digit reference...

Is there something I'm missing here? I'll try to get in touch with both the uni, ucas and saas if I have time tomorrow...

That's the number on your Reward Notice, so if you haven't applied for Student Finance at SAAS before or haven't received their reply, you won't have a Student Reference Number yet.

When is it that SAAS wants you to give them that? On the actual application you can just leave that area blank.
Reply 71
Nelien
That's the number on your Reward Notice, so if you haven't applied for Student Finance at SAAS before or haven't received their reply, you won't have a Student Reference Number yet.

When is it that SAAS wants you to give them that? On the actual application you can just leave that area blank.

You can leave it blank? Oh, I didn't realise that!

I just received my reward notice today (apparently by air mail...lol) so all is good, cheers.
Reply 72
Has anyone had SAAS contact them after you've received your Award Notice? (for the proof of income bit)

It said on the back of mine they would eventually contact me/parents for us to send them away, nothing yet and they sent my award a last month and a bit ago...

Just wondering really...
Reply 73
javjamoll
Has anyone had SAAS contact them after you've received your Award Notice? (for the proof of income bit)

It said on the back of mine they would eventually contact me/parents for us to send them away, nothing yet and they sent my award a last month and a bit ago...

Just wondering really...

Yeah I got mine the day after I think but last year it took them until like December maybe even later to ask

AJxx
Reply 74
Well, I'm back on SAAS to change course information.

In the first tab, its locked due to it being sent away already, but it again says that I should download a copy of the forms to send away for the income section... should I just get the photocopies done and send it away? It's the "Cover Note' form as its my first time... Or I'm I just being obsessive lol? and should just be patient...
Reply 75
Just curious: there's a significant furore over student finance at the moment, namely over the significant length of time that it is taking for applications to be processed, but my questions are thus. Is this controversy only affecting those applying to English universities?; and if not, is this slowness in processing applications confined to new applicants, or is it also affecting those reapplying for a second/third/fourth year of support?
Axiom
Just curious: there's a significant furore over student finance at the moment, namely over the significant length of time that it is taking for applications to be processed, but my questions are thus. Is this controversy only affecting those applying to English universities?; and if not, is this slowness in processing applications confined to new applicants, or is it also affecting those reapplying for a second/third/fourth year of support?

Personally, I've had no problems at all with SAAS but there are Scots that I know who have had some hiccups along the way, all sorted now though. I applied in July and it was all sorted with 3 weeks plus I had to change courses in August, again no problems there.
Axiom

Not really any problems with time taken, just incompetence.
Clarky-x
Do they ever change the hold music? This tune is dire!

I still haven't had any confirmation from them since I changed my term-time address, or institute and course over a week ago. I'm a bit scared I wont get my money on time now and I'll be completely skint for Freshers :frown:

I had to do the same, did you send off document's or did you do it over the phone?
Reply 79
Anyone else struggling with the SAAS phoneline? I've called them litterally coming up on 10 times now from both house phone and mobile, and every time I've been told "This Line Is Busy" not even managed to get on Hold. I sent them an email but everyone knows they never get back to you for weeks. I waited on hold for 30 minutes before, but now I cant even GET to the point where I'm on hold.

Latest

Trending

Trending