Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to be in just the right mood to listen to Opeth...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    I'm pretty sure its alternative metal
    Yeah agreed. Deftones are definitely metal, and probably best classified as alternative metal, although they don't really have a definite sound and don't fit into any one genre.

@ nuclear buddha

Ahhh... Deftones. I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying Beware The Water. The studio version of it is gonna kick some serious ass! By the way, they've announced a release date finally! 12th September! Too long... TOO LONG!! Actually I'd better post that in the Deftones thread...

I had absolutely no idea what Deftones would come under... I'd never really given it much thought. But hey, now it means that we can talk about them in here. :p:

Yeah, Beware The Water sounds SO GOOD live and when we finally get the studio version... mmm. I can't wait.

12th September? Jeeeeez. That's ages away. I'm going to have to put that on my calendar.

ReputationRep:
    i would say deftones were numetal - it is what the forums have always classed them as.

oooh opeth, im in the mood to listen to them too now lol

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=soulofanewmachine] it's all good. Except Nu Metal of course. And Hair Metal.

QUOTE]

What!?!? Hair metal is the **** mate!! Don't tell me you don't love a bit of journey/whitesnake/bon jovi/motely crue etc
    80s cheese forever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angaltrust)
    i would say deftones were numetal - it is what the forums have always classed them as.
    They're grouped together with bands like Korn as 'nu metal', but I think that's a wrong classification. Deftones have much more credibility than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karl)
    What!?!? Hair metal is the **** mate!! Don't tell me you don't love a bit of journey/whitesnake/bon jovi/motely crue etc
    80s cheese forever!

*vomits* No, really. No.

NASUM!:love:
    Thank you whoever recomended them, I totally love them I need more bands like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    NASUM!:love:
    Thank you whoever recomended them, I totally love them I need more bands like that!

You're welcome Try Napalm Death then? Or Agoraphobic Nosebleed, hehe. I just like the name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 000111)
    if it's not racist it's not good eh?!!11!!1!! kvlt!!!!
    What the **** are you on about? Is every band I listed racist? No.

Oh, and the word 'kvlt' is gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    Well we obviously have quite different opinions, because I find quite a large proportion of black metal quite boring, but Anaal Nathrakh definitely not.
    Anaal Nathrakh is a load of noise. Check out Nachtmystium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Z)
    They're grouped together with bands like Korn as 'nu metal', but I think that's a wrong classification. Deftones have much more credibility than that.
    Bull****. Maybe, according to you, they aren't as embarrassing as Korn et al, but they're still a nu metal band. Just listen to the structure of their songs, man. You may find nu metal an embarrassing term, but bands such as Deftones still belong under that tag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    Bull****. Maybe, according to you, they aren't as embarrassing as Korn et al, but they're still a nu metal band. Just listen to the structure of their songs, man. You may find nu metal an embarrassing term, but bands such as Deftones still belong under that tag.
    First of all, check your manners.

Second, true, some of their songs could be called 'nu metal' (e.g. Adrenaline and some of Around The Fur), but a lot of their music is more alternative aswell (e.g. White Pony). 'Nu metal' has become more of a diss than a sub-genre of metal anyway, so the term doesn't really carry much meaning for me anymore.

Out of interest, how much Deftones have you even heard for you to make such a blanket statement?

Whoa. I've heard Deftones described as nu-metal so many times and I just can't see it myself. I don't see it as a negative term because I like plenty of the groups which I DO think come under the nu-metal heading (like Linkin Park and Adema and Korn and whoever) but Deftones' music is completely different to the music of those bands.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, not to me. Listen to the guitars, listen to the drumming, listen to the whiney-stroke-shouting vocals. It's all nu metal to the core!

By the way, Thorpe ****in' Park! \m/

You could say that about loads of bands, though. Ones that blatantly aren't nu-metal. Deftones are just... something else. I don't know what; I'm not up on genres.

Thorpe Park is the business. I can't wait to ride Stealth.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, not to me. Listen to the guitars, listen to the drumming, listen to the whiney-stroke-shouting vocals. It's all nu metal to the core!
    (Original post by Agent Z)
    Out of interest, how much Deftones have you even heard for you to make such a blanket statement?
    Please answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't see the question, sorry.

I've heard most of the stuff which has been released on the radio; I've also heard albums at friends' houses...But I know for certain they're nu metal. Downtuned guitars playing three or four major chords in one song; whined verses with shouty choruses; simplistic drumming...For me, this is enough to call it nu metal. (All the fundamentals of a nu metal band are in there!)

I used to be an avid nu metal disliker (when it was huge - sick of people confusing it with actual metal), and I had the 'know your enemy' thing going on with it. I'm quite good with genres, as I listen to some of the most remote metal bands in some of the most remote metal subgenres. I can tell straight off that Deftones are nothing else but nu metal.

What would you classify them as?

But I know for certain they're nu metal. Downtuned guitars playing three or four major chords in one song; whined verses with shouty choruses; simplistic drumming...For me, this is enough to call it nu metal. (All the fundamentals of a nu metal band are in there!)
    Surely if you knew for CERTAIN that they were nu-metal, nobody would disagree because it'd be a fact? :p:

That description could fit a song by almost any 'credible' metal band... so it's all nu-metal?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard of a band called Agalloch? They fast becoming my new favourite band with 'The Mantle'. They are a fantastic mix of folk/black and atmospheric doom metal. A real blend of genres!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.