Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nefarious, that's interesting! so, if you pay £50 to join swimming club, you don't have to pay £179 fee(price with discount of 64%) to join Fitness Suite??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dominatas)
    Nefarious, that's interesting! so, if you pay £50 to join swimming club, you don't have to pay £179 fee(price with discount of 64%) to join Fitness Suite??
    uh no. i thiink the pools are free anyway. the smaller one (not in the stv) definately is.
    £179 is NOTHING anyway. well worth the moolah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    With the exception of the Gym which you have to pay £179 for every other sporting facility at Bath including pitch bookings is free. If you are a member of the swimming club you get gym membership included but are expected to train regularly and be part of the competitive swimming teams.
    i stand corrected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dominatas)
    hmz.. how much is it to join a society? i'm thinking about catholic, rock, film and maybe euro anyone in film society? is it worth?
    Societies really do vary. Some are as low as £1 - £1.50, others can cost as much as £50 (swimming). This is just membership of course, and most society trips have to be paid separately. I cant remember how much BUGS costs (which is shocking as i'm on the committee :confused: ) but we dont tend to charge much for our trips - just transport etc. Mountaineering and sky diving trips can be very expensive.

ReputationRep:
    table tennis club for sure!! :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    sky diving?, woah, over here, u can't do anything like that.....

ReputationRep:
    I wanna try skydiving!
    Im very excited over all these clubs, only worried it wont matter, as I'll never see them anyway (as in..I wont get in!)

ReputationRep:
    as for rugby society? hah i dunno if you can just join that just because. probably, but drinking with them is wierd. its all international drinking rules; pointing with elbows and talking about couples and digits. and lots of snakey b.
    oi we may have funny rules but it's fun (well most of the time):p:. As long as I forget, through drunkeness, drinking a dirty pint out of rugby boot I'm fine with it
    Also now that I'm not a fresher i get to have some fun at the initiation

If anyone is interested in rugby, I think it was about £15 (insurance costs mainly).

I also joined BUCAS, which is the curry appreciation society. It's pretty good - they organise regular meals at curry restaurants around bath with discounted prices for members. They also normaly have a few drinks beforehand and go out to a club/bar afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lex69)
    oi we may have funny rules but it's fun (well most of the time):p:. As long as I forget, through drunkeness, drinking a dirty pint out of rugby boot I'm fine with it
    Also now that I'm not a fresher i get to have some fun at the initiation

If anyone is interested in rugby, I think it was about £15 (insurance costs mainly).

I also joined BUCAS, which is the curry appreciation society. It's pretty good - they organise regular meals at curry restaurants around bath with discounted prices for members. They also normaly have a few drinks beforehand and go out to a club/bar afterwards.
    You're really near me, when not at Uni! How does Bath/Bristol compare to Reading/surrounding areas?

ReputationRep:
    Generally the clubs in Bath are smaller than the ones you get in Reading/Windsor/Henley because they have to be built underground (some Council thing about noise polution). You won't get anything like Brannigans or Liquid unless you go Bristol. However, even though the clubs in Bath are fairly small it's still fun and you usually end up meeting people you know. My only real gripe with the clubs in Bath is that they play too much cheese at times, I don't really mind that they aren't massive with 3 floors and 10 rooms etc. Overall they are still pretty awesome

There are plenty of pubs and nice shops, but not many of the cheap department stores like primark. I just love bath because it's so pretty and isn't a concrete jungle like most other places. There isn't much you can't get in Bath, but Bristol is nearby if you want more shops/bigger clubs.

ReputationRep:
    are there drama/theatre societies in bath? i love acting :P

ReputationRep:
    Here is a list of all the societies: https://www.bathstudent.com/clubs_li...508&unionid=17

Should be fairly up to date (I hope)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marta Ferreira)
    are there drama/theatre societies in bath? i love acting :P
    Yep, and here's the link https://www.bathstudent.com/club_hom...sp?clubid=4793

can't say i know much about it tho.... someone else might do....

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the sports facilities are free or not, I mean the pool and gym etc in the 'Sports training Village' place, you know the big one near Marlborough court :p:

The reason I ask is as I was digging though all my old University prospectuses (to bin them now I got into Bath ), I found a small A2 bit of paper telling me to pay for the FitnessSuite at 200 quid a year :eek:

ReputationRep:
    All the sports facilities including pitch bookings, the pool etc. are free for students. The Gym is an exception and you'll have to pay for that.
    Well the gym at the old sports hall is free, but that's very small. If you 'like' to go to the gym regularly then the STV one is the place to be. Just remember not to spend £180 on the membership and never go - slight waste of money
    Only downside of the STV gym is that it does get quite packed at times as you have Bath Rugby club and various other teams/people training there. You just have to pick the right times really.

ReputationRep:
    I play guitar and saxophone and would really be interested in forming a band there.Is there a society which set you up with other players with similar music taste and proficiency in their instrument.I know they have a really good band society for this type of thing was wondering if there was similar at Bath

ReputationRep:
    Nah you have to pay a tenner for the old sports hall gym even though it's crap.
    Oh fair enough didn't know that, even more reason not to use it :p:

ReputationRep:
    any snooker club in Bath?

ReputationRep:
    I had a look last year and there wasn't a snooker club. Only place I found was some gentlemens club that had a snooker table.

ReputationRep:
    O...that means I have to go to Bristol to play snooker in the next 3 years..i thought there must be some snooker tables at uni since its sport facilities are one of the best in the country..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.