The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Teebs
I'd be fascinated to know how exactly being awarded a classification for the required exams and coursework to complete a degree does not constitute awarding a degree classification (I'm talking about Oxford here by the way).

Easier to see in the Cambridge system, where you get a mark for each Tripos, and are not prescribed a way to add them up to get an overall mark.

I can't remember exactly the source for my claim, so I can't vouch for it 100%. However, wikipedia does say something similar:

wikipedia
At Oxford and Cambridge, honours classes apply to examinations, not to degrees. Thus, in Cambridge, where undergraduates are examined at the end of each Part (one- or two-year section) of the Tripos, a student may receive different classifications for different Parts. The degree itself does not formally have a class. Most Cambridge graduates use the class of the final Part as the class of the degree, but this is an informal usage. At Oxford, the Final Honour School results are generally applied to the degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_degree_classification
Reply 61
Budgie
Easier to see in the Cambridge system, where you get a mark for each Tripos, and are not prescribed a way to add them up to get an overall mark.

I can't remember exactly the source for my claim, so I can't vouch for it 100%. However, wikipedia does say something similar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_degree_classification

Cos wikipedia is always right :p:
Hey, if Oxford were willing to tell all the unis I applied to that they gave me a First, I'm willing to believe they gave me a first. Even if "officially" they didn't - if they're willing to put my FHS mark in writing then who cares?!
Reply 62
Cambridge is different in that the second and third years are separate sets of exams as I understand it. I think that trying to make a distinction between a mark in final honour schools and a degree result is pure sophistry.
My supervisor shook my hand and said 'congratulations' when I got mine: does that count?

Latest

Trending

Trending