The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I was at work - in a great mood because I was flying out to LA the next day on holiday. The accountant (who was off at the time) rang me to say 'you're flying to america tomorrow arent you'? Dont think you'll be going now and then he told me what happened - he was watching it at the time.

Got to say though, I didnt believe him, he'd been winding me up for ages because Im a nervous flyer, so I just thought he was making it up (he was a bit sad like that) I remember saying 'yeah, ok - you're not funny....'
I was playing Red Alert 2 at the time. It was really surreal. Sending a load of Commie troops in to attack an American city, then a few minutes later, turning on the TV to see America was really under attack.
Reply 62
brooklyn123
I know it happened 5 years ago but do people here still remember when they turned on the tv and saw it all unfold?

Yup - it was the last day of my holiday, we had been staying with my boyfs mum who lives in the South of France. We were having lunch when my boyfs stepfather told us that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre. Was all very sad, but at that point, it was still thought to be a tragic accident.

We set of to Nice airport, and watched the second plane hit from the Departure Lounge.

We had more baggage than our weight allowance, but when we checked in, we were told the flight was half empty and it was fine. When we came to go through security with a mass of hand luggage we were asked what was in each of the bags, which was embarrising, as the reply was "That one? 4 bottles of wine", "That one? 4 bottles of wine", "That one? 4 bottles of wine", "That one? 2 bottles of wine and 200 fags",! The security guard was pissing himself laughing!

Anyway, by the time we borded the plane, London airspace had been closed, and as we were flyng back to Stanstead, or plane was suddenly oversubscribed with buisness men/arses. I say arses as they treated the cabin staff like scum. I'm not sure what they were expecting in the form of in-flight service, but it certainly wasn't EasyJet!

Was glad to get home.

One of the saddest things for me was that my best friend died in May 2001. The last photo I have of her is one her boyfriend gave me of her in the restaurant at the top of one of the towers. It's odd to think that neither of them (my friend or the towers) exists now.
Reply 63
I saw it right from the very beginning... watching tv and when the first emergency news bulletin came on.
Reply 64
awww it was os sad! I remember watching it on TV and crying!

Latest

Trending

Trending