Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrImperfect)
    One of you always ends up falling for the other :confused:
    *looks a poster's name*

Well maybe you cant just be friends with them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy909)
    my best mates theory (not sure if I agree) 5 reasons why guys wana b just freinds with girls:
    1) he eventually wants to get with you/used to wana get with you
    2) he's gay
    3) he's going out with/fancies one of your mates
    4) he's an ex but you had a good break up
    5) Your going out with one of his freinds
    True??
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy909)
    my best mates theory (not sure if I agree) 5 reasons why guys wana b just freinds with girls:
    1) he eventually wants to get with you/used to wana get with you
    2) he's gay
    3) he's going out with/fancies one of your mates
    4) he's an ex but you had a good break up
    5) Your going out with one of his freinds
    True??
    Im best mates with girls for the same reason that I am with guys... Maybe that should be reason number 6

ReputationRep:
    one of my best friends is a girl we've grown up together we've always been so close that i've never fancied her its possible

ReputationRep:
    that is rubbish my best fiends are mostly guys but idont like most of them!!!

ReputationRep:
    One of my male friends is also a best friend. We have never fallen for each other, it would be too weird! He knows me far too well, and I'm always telling him to get with other girls etc! It just wouldn't happen, there's nothing physical there

ReputationRep:
    That is complete and utter crap! One of my best friends is a guy and there is no sexual tension between us what so ever! On the other hand, there has been with some of my other male friends but still. If they know each other well enough to be best friends then I think chances are they know each others faults and in fact, know them too well to even think of them in a non-platonic way!

ReputationRep:
    I posted in here already but I'll say it again. THIS IS CRAP! lol

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how many people here went to/go to mixed schools? And how many single sexers (that sounds weird) like myself? Do your friendship groups comprise of mainly girls or boys or both?

Of course you can- even though my best friend used to fancy me years back, we're still best friends and have no intention of sleeping together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cielo)
    Hmm, I think all my friends who have been/are girls I have at one point fallen for and we decided to be 'just' friends- thank god it's not been like that all the time otherwise I'd be a wreck now. I think it can happen. I'm good friends with my sister and as it happens I'm going to an open day in a couple of weeks with a group of 3 girls (2 of which I don't find attractive but 1 of them I really used to fancy at one point but I'm over it now), I dunno, I think you can be good friends, but I agree with MOST, not all, there has to be some degree of attraction somewhere along the line.
    A lot of your friends used to be girls? i didn't think that kind of surgery was very common ^o)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The bullring)
    Out of interest, how many people here went to/go to mixed schools? And how many single sexers (that sounds weird) like myself? Do your friendship groups comprise of mainly girls or boys or both?
    I used to go to a single sex school (never again) and my friends were girls basically n we thought knowing boys was o so cool. Now I go to a mixed school and my friendship group is really varied, mainly consisting of guys cause there's a much higher guy:girl ratio. It was good cause I realized that you can be friends with the opposite sex quite easily...whatever the motivation behind the friendship.

ReputationRep:
    you can be best friends with a girl if your male. i dont see peoples argument that something will happen if you are close to them. sure occasions occur when there is a obvious connection between 2 people and you can be best friends and both want more. But that connection always tends to be there. Its not like you wake up one day and suddenly think damn i'd like to screw my best m8 today.

ReputationRep:
    One time I did develop feelings for a very close female mate, so sometimes best friends will fall for each other, or one for the other. But there are girls I am very friendly with who I don't see as anything more than a friend so it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    i had a male best friend for 5 years...then we got together. however i do think it is possible cuz my best friend now is male (only just) but he is gay so i suppose its different. do ppl think it is because of sex that u cant be best mates because that wud mean that gay people would struggle to have close friends of the same sex!? *LOU*

ReputationRep:

Well I think thats crap, I've got loads of girl/friends. I can't possibly 'fall' for them all.

Although... stuff has happened with some : ) but that was different kind of as it was a build up of flirting and time spent together. although wer still friends.

I dunno. depends on the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *lucy_lou*)
    do ppl think it is because of sex that u cant be best mates because that wud mean that gay people would struggle to have close friends of the same sex!? *LOU*
    When it happened to me it wasn't really about sex. If it was just about sex, I would have probably fancied the girl immediately. But what happened was we just seemed to click and I just grew a strong liking to my friend over time and thought of her quite a lot which made me want to physically be with her and enjoy each other's company like we always do, but not necessarily do that kind of physical stuff. Obviously when you like someone that much, you do eventually want to do more physical things with them than you would as just friends, but my point is it isn't necessarily sex which always triggers these feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Completely disagree.... why shouldn't you be best friends with the opposite sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyri)
    When it happened to me it wasn't really about sex. If it was just about sex, I would have probably fancied the girl immediately. But what happened was we just seemed to click and I just grew a strong liking to my friend over time and thought of her quite a lot which made me want to physically be with her and enjoy each other's company like we always do, but not necessarily do that kind of physical stuff. Obviously when you like someone that much, you do eventually want to do more physical things with them than you would as just friends, but my point is it isn't necessarily sex which always triggers these feelings.
    i totally agree, with me n my best mate it was a bond that just kept gettin deeper (how cheesy, i know). but after a yr n a half together we split up n havent been able to be best friends anymore...it really is too hard. *LOU*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.