Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hwoo, which parts of the sitting system are particularly troubling you? Is it basic design ideas for the seat e.g. could be a hammock type thing - nylon fabric secured to a frame at either side - or is it anthropometric data for child seats?

ReputationRep:
    don't u think a trolly is 2 simple all is it is is a bit of metal! and plus it already exists. and ure nt going to wlk around a high street wiv a trolly are u! could it not be something u attatch onto an existing pushchair to carry shopping it?

ReputationRep:
    i'm having trouble with the basic ideas for the seats???
    What do you mean by "nylon fabric secured at either side"?
    So far i only have 1 design, i need inspiration!!!
    How many designs do we need?
    PLease Help!! Thx

ReputationRep:
    b) Generate and evaluate a range of design ideas. Use appropriate communication techniques and justify decisions made. (15 marks)

Here's how it is split up.

1 mark per design with scrap views
    2 marks per design for relevant materials
    2 marks per design for relevant processes
    3 marks in total for the quality of drawing
    5 marks for justifying ideas.

So with that in mind, 3 initial designs should be plenty as long as they are drawn and annotated fully.

I'm currently doing this section as well and am planning to do around 5 ideas and then pick the most relevant 3. With the nylon fabric, this is an extremely basic type of seat design. The fabric has loops on either side and the frame of the buggy is put through the loops, thus pulling the fabric tight and creating a seat and backrest for the child.

ReputationRep:
    so its very similar to the existing trolley or buggy in supermarket? Also i have problems with drawing the seats and trolley XD!!! its very hard to draw i think ahahaha....btw you mind sharing your ideas with me? whats that hammock type thing?

ReputationRep:
    I should have at least 3 of the designs done by tomorow and hopefully annotated. Btw, they are drawn in rough so they may be a bit crap. I'll scan them in when i complete either 3 or 5 and post the link. Unfortunately, it's all taking longer than I first expected. What have you written for your spec?

ReputationRep:
    Thx mate! yea i wrote my spec...you wanna see , i can scan it and post it here if you want?

ReputationRep:
    hey people, im having real trouble getting started on my spec, and my designs! would anyone be able to send me nefing they can scan to get me started--prob sounds dodgy i no but i really need help and ma teacher is crap! it would be much appriciated it and i wud return the favour with what i manage to do.
    thanx kirsty x

ReputationRep:
    For spec i've started off by the following headings:
    - purpose : something like a trolley for carrying gds in sumpermarket
    -Function: erm..ensure children safety when shopping with children
    - aesthtic: Ergonomic, shape, style, etc
    -performance : the materials being light weight etc
    -scale of production: Mass production of course lol
    -quality control: Quality standards ..how you going to meet the standard
    -legal requirments and external standards : Types of testing you going to do
    -cultural, social , moral and envionmental issue: product being recyable ?

and just develop you spec
    "Note" - hope you can post your designs or pm me asap?!!! Thx :>

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have only just started looking at this paper as i've been overloaded with chem, biol and maths!
    And now i'm starting to panic...
    Does anyone know how exactly to make the regular wire shopping trolleys? i.e. thw basket and the handle, legs etc? Do you know how to connect the wheels?

What kind of brakes/wheels can you use? i really can't find any info! I don't know what kind of plastic materials to use either.
    Do current shopping trolley and buggies have bearings? What kind? Which is the cheapest?

I would GREATLY appreciate any help..
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Also, as an afterthought, does anyone know how to make and then bend steel tubing? Is welding or brazing best for steel? What about aluminium?

ReputationRep:
    steel tubing can be bent around a jig manually by hand and then welded. Im not sure if this process can be done by CAM or CNC machinery

ReputationRep:
    Ok. My first round of concept ideas goes as follows (there's more to come and this is by no means the final stage - I'm going to have to develop each a little then pick the best few for the exam also accommodating for which stance the paper takes on the question):
    1. Extremely basic buggy simply with extra space in a basket underneith. The basket could be made out of the same material that they use at the moment for that use in buggys (need to research this area)
    2. It looks like one of those granny shopping container things - a cuboid with wheels. A seat to hold an infant could then be hooked onto the frame.
    3. Branching off the way that the handles are used for hooking the bags over, a regular buggy with hooks and storage space in a basket underneith
    4. Much the same as some twin buggys where one baby is sat infront of the other, except where the back seat would be, it is instead space for shopping - there is a container for bags.
    5. Again, going with the twin buggy design, except this design is taken where the infants are sat next to each other. One of the seats is removed from the design and instead the area is used for the shopping containment.

These are only the first lot of very basic concept ideas and very little thought has gone into how they will be made and assembled so please bear with me if they seem rubbish. There are problems with my scanner at the moment, but I will scan them in as soon as I can so it is clearer what I am trying to explain.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds ok to me! i can't wait to see your drawings :>

ReputationRep:
    The following is my first design, its very brief! (annotation). Feel free to comment on it. Problem: i have no idea how to assemble the seat onto the trolley. The seat is made out of maybe nylon or just PP and the trolley will be fiberglass. Any idea how you can assemble it togather???
    THX
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Looks good. I don't know how to assemble anything together except welding for metals! Do you know how to attach plastic to metal?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya people im also doing this unit 6 exam and am having problems, my teachers has siaid that its probably going to be a trollyey, i don't know where shes got that from it says nothing like that in the stimulus, i'm having trouble coming up with 3 different desings, i've done the trolley and the pushchair thing and am stuck on where to go next an help would be really appreciated, also how are people finding the research stage i've about finsihed it but couldn't find any info about ergonomic data for children, how many children do you think the final item will have to have room for 1, 2 ???? James

ReputationRep:
    hi there, i am doin this exam (AQA board) and i am struggling to find out what i need to know. I have this book that i used for PD1D (the A2 exam being PD6D) and i know that i need to learn pretty much everything in there. There are three sections, being 'Materials & Components', 'Processes & Manufacture' and 'Desing & Market Influences'.

I know that for PD1 i needed to know all of chapters 1 and 2, and PD6 i need to know all 3, but what is this about influences of designers. Stuff like Memphis design movement and Bauhaus design movement??

Also i know u need a product study to write up in the exam, whats all that bout?

I heard all this trolley stuff, but i think that my exam is different coz there aint any design in it i dnt think....

Any1 sitting the AQA exam will probably have the same, coz ive never been given anything about any trolleys.

Hope that you lot can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwoo)
    The following is my first design, its very brief! (annotation). Feel free to comment on it. Problem: i have no idea how to assemble the seat onto the trolley. The seat is made out of maybe nylon or just PP and the trolley will be fiberglass. Any idea how you can assemble it togather???
    THX
    WE don't welcome AQA board LOL, jk. Anyway, yea please help me with my question!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well the handle could be one unit, if you are designing it to be a flat-packed trolley assembly, then each pieace needs to be as flat as poss obviously.

So yeah, the hadle can be one pieac, and the seats could be hinged, with a locking mechanism for when they are intended for use. (this also means that they could lie flat if only one child is being taken shopping, giving more room for other items).

The top, and two sides of the trolley could also be hinged, but i would suggest some kind of rmoveable corner bracket so that the whole unit doesn't wobble itself to pieces when in movement.

I take it that you will use the same standardised wheels as on most conventional trolles nowaday, and the rear axle can be separate, however, i doo recomend that all three wheels are free running, as this seems to be the most popular, and widely used method. My gues is that it increases range of movement, and decreases the overall weight of the product.

The food-rests can be injection moulded PP (polypropolene) or something like HDPP or ABS, Some sort of thermoplastic that can be coloured for aesthetics.

I dont know what materials you would use, but i recomment aluminium or duralumin. For my AS coursework project, i built a greenpower electric car, which was raced at the national greenpower championships at Goodwood motor circuit, and i built this 100% out of aluminium. It can be TIG welded (Tungsten-Inert-Gas) and this is way more than strong enough. If it can hold my brother in it racing for 6 hours straight on 150miles of circuit, then im sure a good quality production welding can hold a few bags of shopping and a kid or two.

I dont think that having many separate parts is good design, so i would guess that as many fixings on the smaller parts that you can get will be necessary.

I think it is a good design that you can use, but try to steer away from flat panels. Think about todays designs and use things like the wire mesh they use, or anything along those lines. I would also recomend some sort of safety either side of the kids, for their toys not to fall off the top of the trolley. You should also to the same to the bottom and ad some sides to it, maybe only have one open edge and the other closed. Think carefully about ergonomics as bending down to put items in that space can be considered un-ergonomic. Maybe just one baby seat at the back, or two side-by-side at the back will be better, so you can acces the shopping items from the top rather than the sides??

Tell me what you think of my ideas.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.